Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2020, 12:06 PM   #1
X-Jaywalker

Talking Holding Tank Capacity ?

We bought a used 2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS last year. And most of our trips have been with the grandkids....and you know grandkids. Thank you goodness we were staying at Campgrounds with full hook ups. Fast forward.....the wife and I went out and did some dry camping and I though I had emptied all the tanks. But it seems like we only lasted 4 days and the gray and black tanks were full.(we really need to start showering outside).

So I checked the brochure online (we did not have any paperwork wit the 5Th wheel) and it said we had 87 Gal Fresh Water, 83 Gal Gray and 40 Gal Black. Which did not seem right.

Then I checked the another one online source and the specification sheet said Fresh was 49 Gal, Gray was 32, and Black 32. Which seems more reasonable with a 32 ft 5Th wheel. Any insight form some of you folks would be greatly appreciated.

PS - Also, anyone know where I can get the outside shower hose (ours was missing- and we may start showering the grandkids outside while dry camping)

Cheers!!
X-Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The Keystone website shows the 2014 269FWRLS as having 87 gal Fresh Water, 80 gal Gray Water (two 40 gal tanks, 1 for shower/bath sink and 1 for galley sink) and 40 Gal black tank. https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...limited/specs/ Remember that the water heater capacity is included in the fresh water specifications, so if you have a 6 gallon water heater, your FW tank is probably 80 gallons with 1 gallon held by the plumbing runs...

As for where to get the shower hose, which outdoor shower faucet do you have? A photo of what's on your trailer would help narrow the selection.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Are you new to RVing? Small children can't be left alone with water. They will play in the sink while washing hands. When camping without full hookups you need to conserve. This means not letting the water run continuously when washing dishes or showering or while brushing your teeth. As for capacity I can't tell you past Keystone's published numbers but you could use 5 gal buckets or a hose with a water meter on it to find out.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #4
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Jaywalker View Post
We bought a used 2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS last year. And most of our trips have been with the grandkids....and you know grandkids. Thank you goodness we were staying at Campgrounds with full hook ups. Fast forward.....the wife and I went out and did some dry camping and I though I had emptied all the tanks. But it seems like we only lasted 4 days and the gray and black tanks were full.(we really need to start showering outside).

So I checked the brochure online (we did not have any paperwork wit the 5Th wheel) and it said we had 87 Gal Fresh Water, 83 Gal Gray and 40 Gal Black. Which did not seem right.

Then I checked the another one online source and the specification sheet said Fresh was 49 Gal, Gray was 32, and Black 32. Which seems more reasonable with a 32 ft 5Th wheel. Any insight form some of you folks would be greatly appreciated.

PS - Also, anyone know where I can get the outside shower hose (ours was missing- and we may start showering the grandkids outside while dry camping)

Cheers!!
This link agrees with your 2nd set of capacity figures.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2014-...9fwrls-tr16591
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:34 PM   #5
notanlines

I checked two different links than Cal and both said that his was correct. The smaller of the figures came up on both.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:05 PM   #6
travelin texans

Also DO NOT trust the holding tank level gauges to be anywhere near accurate as to what's actually in them. If that's what your going by you could way off.
The shower/bath grey will fill the fastest, especially if shower left running, but you'll know for sure it's full when backs up into the shower. Replace the original shower head with an Oxygenics, it'll feel like more pressure & uses less water.
A quick pre wash rinse, turn off shower head, lather up, rinse & turn faucets off. The 4-5 days of showers to fill that grey tank sounds about right if water is left running the entire shower.
The grey tanks you could drain a 5 gallon bucket full & dump into the campground bath sink, shower or toilet if needed. The black is a different story.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:11 PM   #7
GHen

Also don’t trust the stock gauges, they could say full and only be half full. Unless the shower won’t drain or the toilet “burps” your not full.

But you are right, long or too many showers will fill the gray tank very quickly. An outdoor shower will help, but only if you haven’t run out of fresh water, and if you haven’t run out of fresh water there is no way the gray tanks are full.

So here is some simple math,
Freshwater is 87
Gray water is 80,
Black tank is 40.

If water was full and now the gray and black tanks are full, where did the extra 33 gallons come from, not all the tanks are full.

You might have some extra room. When our gray tanks are near full we do dishes and dump some of the waste using a sink tub into the black tank. It normally is only half full after 7 days.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 04:30 PM   #8
X-Jaywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I checked two different links than Cal and both said that his was correct. The smaller of the figures came up on both.
Thx - Yeah,, we did not think it was the first specs. But wanted to check with you folks.
Anderson Ultimate 3200
2016 RAM 6.7CTD,4x4,CC, 38 Aux Fuel Tank, Airbags
Old 04-19-2020, 04:34 PM   #9
X-Jaywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The Keystone website shows the 2014 269FWRLS as having 87 gal Fresh Water, 80 gal Gray Water (two 40 gal tanks, 1 for shower/bath sink and 1 for galley sink) and 40 Gal black tank. https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...limited/specs/ Remember that the water heater capacity is included in the fresh water specifications, so if you have a 6 gallon water heater, your FW tank is probably 80 gallons with 1 gallon held by the plumbing runs...

As for where to get the shower hose, which outdoor shower faucet do you have? A photo of what's on your trailer would help narrow the selection.
We found the hose!!!The outside shower connection takes a quick disconnect and the other end has the standard male threads for a everyday garden hose. Crazy?? But it will work in a pinch. Thank you for your reply.
Anderson Ultimate 3200
Old 04-19-2020, 04:39 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Glad you got the "hose problem" resolved. As for tank capacities, Keystone's website has specifications. The Keystone brochure for that model lists the tank sizes as "the largest of any comparable RV from any manufacturer. So, I find it really hard to imagine a single 32 gallon gray tank. RV-USA is notorious for misrepresenting specifications on travel trailers/fifth wheels. In fact, the link posted here for your trailer states that only the rear axle has electric brakes. So, do your "due diligence" before accepting specifications found "on the web"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #11
CWtheMan

Quote:
Glad you got the "hose problem" resolved. As for tank capacities, Keystone's website has specifications. The Keystone brochure for that model lists the tank sizes as "the largest of any comparable RV from any manufacturer. So, I find it really hard to imagine a single 32 gallon gray tank. RV-USA is notorious for misrepresenting specifications on travel trailers/fifth wheels. In fact, the link posted here for your trailer states that only the rear axle has electric brakes. So, do your "due diligence" before accepting specifications found "on the web"...
Notice that I'm searching for 2014 models. Here is another link for you to ponder.

https://www.rvguide.com/specs/keysto...rls/email.html

First link was also 2014.

2014 Keystone Brochure.

https://www.keystonerv.com/media/241...anyon-2012.pdf
Old 04-20-2020, 08:09 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Notice that I'm searching for 2014 models. Here is another link for you to ponder.

https://www.rvguide.com/specs/keysto...rls/email.html

First link was also 2014.

2014 Keystone Brochure.

https://www.keystonerv.com/media/241...anyon-2012.pdf

I'd suppose the only "sure fire way to know" would be to use a 5 gallon bucket and fill each tank... Short of that, at this point, it seems to me that we're in a situation of "suggesting different capacities, one set from an after market sales company and one from the factory. Sort of like comparing "advance auto parts guide" to "Ford parts guide" when determining what fits a specific Ford truck....

Choose your brochure or pick your web link... If they don't all have the same information, then take your pick or "dig out the bucket and find out for sure..... At this point, for me, it's a "long distance guess" so I'll leave the final decision up to the OP.

ADDED: I'd note that the Keystone brochure in your links is a 2012 brochure. The OP asked about a 2014 trailer. That might be where the disagreement comes into play. Keystone likely changed the tank size in 2013 or 2014 and RV-USA has not yet "caught their oversight" and is still reflecting 2012 specs on their website... (sort of like Advance Auto still reflecting body mounts on the 2017 F350 as using the same body mounts as the 2010 F350).. Who knows.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-20-2020, 09:25 AM   #13
CWtheMan

Quote:
I'd suppose the only "sure fire way to know" would be to use a 5 gallon bucket and fill each tank... Short of that, at this point, it seems to me that we're in a situation of "suggesting different capacities, one set from an after market sales company and one from the factory. Sort of like comparing "advance auto parts guide" to "Ford parts guide" when determining what fits a specific Ford truck....

Choose your brochure or pick your web link... If they don't all have the same information, then take your pick or "dig out the bucket and find out for sure..... At this point, for me, it's a "long distance guess" so I'll leave the final decision up to the OP.

ADDED: I'd note that the Keystone brochure in your links is a 2012 brochure. The OP asked about a 2014 trailer. That might be where the disagreement comes into play. Keystone likely changed the tank size in 2013 or 2014 and RV-USA has not yet "caught their oversight" and is still reflecting 2012 specs on their website... (sort of like Advance Auto still reflecting body mounts on the 2017 F350 as using the same body mounts as the 2010 F350).. Who knows.....
Keystone does not update brochure specifications unless there is a major change. In other words, when you request an older model brochure they will provide the one with the last major upgrade. It looks like the fresh water tank on that model was up graded to 81 GAL in 2018.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:44 AM   #14
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Jaywalker View Post
W

Cheers!!
There is another way to verify your trailer's water capacity. The vehicle certification label will list the amount of water as cargo. Usually it's listed as pounds. Take the figure in pounds and divide by 8.3 to get the total in gallons.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:48 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Keystone does not update brochure specifications unless there is a major change. In other words, when you request an older model brochure they will provide the one with the last major upgrade. It looks like the fresh water tank on that model was up graded to 81 GAL in 2018.
HUH ??? I'm not sure where you're searching, but if you go to https://www.keystonerv.com/brochures...ved-brochures/ you can choose which year to search. There is a DIFFERENT brochure for 2012 Sprinter and 2014 Sprinter. They are NOT the same brochure...

But, whatever, I don't need to be "right and you wrong" in this, I just want the OP to have accurate information.... If you think yours is correct, then the OP will have to decide what information to believe. For me, an easy choice, but then....

Happy Monday !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-20-2020, 10:40 AM   #16
CWtheMan

Quote:
HUH ??? I'm not sure where you're searching, but if you go to https://www.keystonerv.com/brochures...ved-brochures/ you can choose which year to search. There is a DIFFERENT brochure for 2012 Sprinter and 2014 Sprinter. They are NOT the same brochure...

But, whatever, I don't need to be "right and you wrong" in this, I just want the OP to have accurate information.... If you think yours is correct, then the OP will have to decide what information to believe. For me, an easy choice, but then....

Happy Monday !!!!!
Well it looks like he has a 2013 model that qualified for 2014 labeling because that particular series number disappears in 2014 and the sprinter Copper Canyon probably became a Wide Body edition.

Anyhow, I think if he does the math with the certification label information he will have his answer.

https://www.keystonerv.com/media/237...anyon-2013.pdf
Old 04-20-2020, 04:36 PM   #17
NH_Bulldog

I agree that the cargo label will tell the tale. Mine reads fresh water tanks full (Cold 140 Kg, Hot 23 Kg) and mass of waste water tanks full 227 Kg. I have no idea why it reads in Kg instead of pounds but quick math tells me 36 gallons cold, 6 gallons hot, thus 42 gallons fresh water capacity. The waste tanks are 60 gallons combined and I know they are both the same size, so 30 gallons each.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #18
X-Jaywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Also DO NOT trust the holding tank level gauges to be anywhere near accurate as to what's actually in them. If that's what your going by you could way off.
The shower/bath grey will fill the fastest, especially if shower left running, but you'll know for sure it's full when backs up into the shower. Replace the original shower head with an Oxygenics, it'll feel like more pressure & uses less water.
A quick pre wash rinse, turn off shower head, lather up, rinse & turn faucets off. The 4-5 days of showers to fill that grey tank sounds about right if water is left running the entire shower.
The grey tanks you could drain a 5 gallon bucket full & dump into the campground bath sink, shower or toilet if needed. The black is a different story.
Great info: Yup, grey tanks are the quickest to fill. We decided we could also take quick showers using the outside shower, but will also look at the Oxygenics shower head Also, never thought about the 5 Gallon bucket idea for grey tank water, thats great too. Thx
Anderson Ultimate 3200
Old 04-21-2020, 11:47 AM   #19
X-Jaywalker

Quote:
There is another way to verify your trailer's water capacity. The vehicle certification label will list the amount of water as cargo. Usually it's listed as pounds. Take the figure in pounds and divide by 8.3 to get the total in gallons.
Attachment 26729

Here is the label on the side of the 5er. So if we are to use this as a calculation for the tank capacities, we have to (do the math) converting kg to lbs (1 kg = 2.20462 lbs) and then using a gallon is equal to 8.35 lbs.

According to the label (and this is for Cargo Carrying Capacity)
Calculated with Fresh Water Tanks Full (Cold) 124 kg or 32.73 gallons (Hot) I am guessing this is the capacity of the water heater (Sub -SW12DE) 45 kg or 11.89 gallons. Then it says the mass of waste water tanks full (not that any of us would want to do this): Is 241 kg or 63.70 gallons. Hmmmm!

I found the original brochure (printed in 2013) its registered as a 2014 Sprinter(Wide Body 100" Advertised). Here is what it says:

269FWRLS - 51 Gal Fresh Water, 40 Gal Waste Water, 40 Gal Gray Water. Which I think makes more sense...but I could be wrong.

Isn't this fun: Hey, I am on a mission. I may have to go out and actual pour 5 gallon buckets into the tank. Who ever said being retired they would be bored to death. My list is pretty full and growing with the COVID-19 stay at home deal.

All joking aside (and I try not to take myself to damn serious) I hope everyone is healthy and safe. Crazy world these days.
Anderson Ultimate 3200
Old 04-21-2020, 12:40 PM   #20
notanlines

Larry, we all are waiting (although maybe not with baited breath) for you to simply do the five gallon bucket trick on both tanks. That has to tell how freaking bored we are!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank