Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2020, 11:17 PM   #21
KRumm

I am leaning heavily towards the Andersen hitch for my upcoming 5th wheel purchase as I like the lightweight, ease of hooking up and the ability to adjust the ball height on the fly without any tools.

But in searching reviews and such I came across a YouTuber who at her own fault really screwed things up... I am not telling you this to dissuade you from buying (As I will be buying).. but to warn you to take care in use...

Her first video was about her bed liner being tore up by the pin box... (She obviously had no idea of the adapter orientation measurement check) A few weeks later in another video she mentioned in passing that she broke out her truck rear window... (She most likely changed the orientation but did not know the consequences)... Then on a later video she recounted a harrowing experience seeing her adapter spinning out of control on the pin box... (She made no mention of knowing how to torque the adapters four hex screws)... My bet is she only saw and tightened two of the four hexes as two are inset into the housing... Basically you can’t cure stupid...

My takeaway was measure and know your clearances... Monitor the adapter and check hex torque... Keep a hex wrench on hand in case you need to remove the adapter in an emergency to let another truck tow your rig...
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:27 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

I am having an Andersen installed as well. I've not seen that video but I've seen lots of them. Everything you mentioned as her problems were self inflicted IMO. As you said, measure, torque...pay attention.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:21 AM   #23
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
...measure, torque...pay attention.
And it's not that hard. Anyone with that many problems installing a hitch is likely to have problems with everything that requires specific attention. (who needs to read the directions? )

Towing a trailer is filled with important requirements. Ignoring those requirements will end you up in a ditch.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:13 PM   #24
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
But in searching reviews and such I came across a YouTuber who at her own fault really screwed things up...
do you have a link to the videos or the youtubers name? Would like to watch them.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:44 PM   #25
Big1

I think that it is this one but I'm not sure so here it is. https://youtu.be/9HqmFZK0qqA
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #26
W5WI

I switched from a "goose neck hitch with the turn over ball in the bed and the device on the 5er. Very hard to hook up by myself and it sat too low in the bed so I had to be careful when backing to not "jack knife" the trailer and damage the truck bed.

My Anderson Ultimate solved that problem as it is adjustable for height. Plus it is very easy to hook the trailer up to. Plus, for us old geezers with bad backs, the lightweight makes a a breeze to take in and out of the truck!
2017 Ford F-250 4X4 CC 6.7 diesel

W5WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:42 AM   #27
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Check out the Reese Goosebox, then nothing in your truck bed but he turnover ball, the hitch stays on the RV.
I have NO experience with either, but to me a 1" aluminum triangle with 2500-3500 lbs hammering down in it constantly just does not seem a good plan.
If/when we get back to rving Im certain I'd be in the market for the GB.
Many question the strength of an aluminum hitch yet we climb aboard a commercial airplane with a skin consisting of 2024T-3 0.125 thick, aluminum wings with landing gear attached to aluminum, aluminum fittings supporting the engines, etc. etc.
I have the aluminum Andersen pulling a Grand Design Solitude 310 GK and have had no issues.
As far as the strength of aluminum, I have faith. But then I worked on commercial and military aircraft.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #28
BSHGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
Another thread mentioned that using an Anderson hitch voids Keystone’s warranty. Why?
No it does not. They can`t void your warrenty unless THEY have proven it caused a failure. None have up to this point It`s the law, Magnuson Act of some year.
You will hear " I was told this by this guy..." he is lying. Somebody was told by a Keystone guy at a rally somewhere that it voids his warrenty, he is wrong and should be fired but you know how Keystone routinely lies to people.I have, by the girls at the phone center on numerous actions.
Any way don`t listen to anyone that does not own one and uses it full time. Yes they just can`t stand that they paid to much money for a boat anchor.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:05 AM   #29
CaptnJohn

Add me to the list that went back to B&W. Sent the AU to the recycle bin at the county dump. Many think they are great I’m just not one of them. Good luck with whatever you choose.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:16 AM   #30
WDPatterson

I had an F250 King Ranch in which I installed a B&W Turnover Ball and a B&W Companion Hitch. I pull a 2004 Laredo 27RL, which is actually close to 30 feet long. Trailer weight is right at 10,000 pounds. The F250 pulled it just right, and the Companion Hitch was more than adequate. However, the weight of that hitch caused me not to want to take it out of the bed very often. Therefore, it stayed in the bed.

Since the hitch was always in it, it apparently was very tempting, and somebody stole it out of my driveway.

My replacement truck is an F-350, with overload Springs and an 8 foot bed, instead of a six and a half foot bed. I have a Blue Ox 30,000 pound gooseneck ball, which can be removed and flipped. So, it's pretty much like the B&W, only heavier-duty. And, with an F-350, I really don't have to worry about how much weight I'm pulling.

As for the Anderson 5th Wheel Hitch 2, it's good for over thirty thousand pounds. In fact, Company videos show them testing it for over fifty thousand pounds before failure. That's the aluminum version, by the way. In fact, the aluminum version tests to a higher strength than the steel version does. And, they have a 12 year old girl picking that 38 pound hitch out of the bed of the truck. She not only took it out of the bed of the truck, she put it back in. And, most people have no problem at all torquing it to the bed.

In short, I have owned enough hitches, pulled enough trailers, and had enough experience with what I like and don't like. I can tell you without a doubt that I have no problem pulling with the Andersen hitch. I don't have a problem with the room it takes up in the bed. And, my assessment is reinforced by the guy who owns Tweety's RV. He'll never use a different hitch again.

I also recommend that you look at bed covers which accomodate a tool box with a low profile or in-bed box.

That will keep the prying eyes at bay. You can open up the bed cover to hitch up and go, you can close it to hide your hitch.

If you choose to use the Anderson hitch, I don't think you're going to be disappointed at all.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:37 AM   #31
jad59

I was like you until I found that Lippert would not warranty the use of an Anderson hitch. I called Lippert to find out for sure and they said that is true, the only hitch they approve is the Reese Goose box.

So that is what I bought this thing is great easy to hook and unhook. The ride is great because it has an airbag and shock for smoother ride between the two vehicles.
And the best part is all that is in bed a ball easy to remove.
jad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:58 AM   #32
Dave W

It makes me chuckle when I hear complaints about a B&W Puck non slider hitch being so heavy. When did the American male become so wussified that two ~70 pound pieces were beyond a healthy males ability to lift (make sure you read HEALTHY here)
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #33
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
It makes me chuckle when I hear complaints about a B&W Puck non slider hitch being so heavy. When did the American male become so wussified that two ~70 pound pieces were beyond a healthy males ability to lift (make sure you read HEALTHY here)
Probably when those American males begin to have back problems. That might be my guess.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #34
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad59 View Post
I was like you until I found that Lippert would not warranty the use of an Anderson hitch. I called Lippert to find out for sure and they said that is true, the only hitch they approve is the Reese Goose box.

So that is what I bought this thing is great easy to hook and unhook. The ride is great because it has an airbag and shock for smoother ride between the two vehicles.
And the best part is all that is in bed a ball easy to remove.
Lippert is a big company. They sell Reese.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #35
Jerry S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
Another thread mentioned that using an Anderson hitch voids Keystone’s warranty. Why?
I do not think that is correct. I bought from Keystone and the dealer installed a Anderson Hitch with a B&W reversible ball mount. I love the Anderson and would not use anything else. At my age of 73 it is pretty easy to install and remove the 35 Lb Anderson. Towing is so smooth you do not eve know there is a 5er hooked up.
Jerry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #36
WDPatterson

By the way, you don't need a fancy pin box when you're using an Andersen hitch. You can save some money. There's no chucking, and there's no need to cushion.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #37
Jerry S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
How old are you Dave? That makes the difference. :-)
Old 02-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #38
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry S View Post
I do not think that is correct. I bought from Keystone and the dealer installed a Anderson Hitch with a B&W reversible ball mount. I love the Anderson and would not use anything else. At my age of 73 it is pretty easy to install and remove the 35 Lb Anderson. Towing is so smooth you do not eve know there is a 5er hooked up.
That's been my experience, as well. So smooth, almost creepy, you can't tell it's back there.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:11 AM   #39
Jerry S

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
Leopard is a big company. They sell Reese.
When did you call them? I think they have since changed that policy.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:16 AM   #40
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry S View Post
When did you call them? I think they have since changed that policy.
They're not going to change their policy if it enables their competitors to sell more product.

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch