Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2019, 05:14 AM   #1
Fred999

Fireplace circuit out?

2012 Montana Mountaineer 362 rql, fire place circuit is out, breaker is ok, acts like there is a GFCI somewhere I can’t find🤔🤔
Fred999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:59 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

First, welcome to the forum. I hope your time here is enjoyable and rewarding for you.

As for your fireplace circuit, first, unplug the fireplace (behind the unit) and using an extension cord, plug it into a known good outlet to check that it operates properly. If it doesn't, it's in the fireplace. If it does work, then I'd suspect there is a loose wire in one of the "knife wedge connections" on the back of one of the plugs in that circuit. Most of the 120 VAC electrical wiring in plugs is done "daisy chain" from one outlet to the next. Any loose connection will affect all of the outlets connected to that circuit further out (past) the loose connection.

I'd first unplug the fireplace and check for voltage at the plug. If there is none, take the plug out of the wall and check the wires pushed into the connectors. It's a common problem caused by "cheap, easy to install plugs" and made worse by road vibrations caused by towing. If the connections on that plug are OK, then work back to the circuit breaker, following the ROMEX checking each plug in the circuit.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #3
travelin texans

GFCI should be near the kitchen or bathroom sink, mine have all been near the bathroom sink.
On my RVs that GFCI shut down most all of the plugs on one side of the RV. Check a few of the other plugs & try the microwave before pulling the fireplace.
On mine also the fireplace plugged in behind a drawer, removing the fireplace was not necessary to try another plug in.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #4
MarkEHansen

Another place to look for the GFCI outlet is outside where the refrigerator plugs in to 120v, behind the outside fridge access cover.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:52 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Fireplace circuit out?

If the fireplace is on a slide, there is probably a connection that changes the stranded wire back to Romex. I’ve seen those come apart.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #6
GEBrown

We had a our air conditioner not have power after we purchased our Cougar in February. The fireplace worked but not the air. We called dealer and they couldn't tell us and a mobile repair couldn't figure it out either. After our sweltering hot camp out we took it straight in to the dealer. 2 days later they called and said it's all working fine now. They called an emergency meeting of all sales people and repair techs to educate them about our issue after the Keystone factory told them what was up.
There is a switch behind the TV that changes the power from the roof air conditioner to the furnace and fireplace heater. When we bought the trailer it was in winter and set for the fireplace and when it got hot we didn't know to throw the switch to use the a/c. It was a 30 amp 2017 cougar trailer. Previous years were 50 amp and now went back to 50 amp so no switch was needed.
GEBrown is offline   Reply With Quote