Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #21
Dan Lockwood

I know that I'm a very newbie here, but in my '12 RAM 3500 8' box I installed the B&W Gooseneck Turnover Ball hitch. It's rated for whatever the truck is good for, they don't really put a limit on the hitch.

I put it in alone and it took some trips from the creeper to the bed, many trips that is... I used my cherry picker to raise in the main under bed center section. A hoist and two guys would not have been an issue, but 85# overhead off a creeper and trying to add bolts is NOT something I recommend doing alone.

I then got their Companion 20k# hitch. My 5er grosses out at around 18K# so I didn't want to go with just an 18k hitch.

I'm going to be removing it next weekend and I'm not looking forward to doing that alone, but I've lifted heavier I guess. Yes the top part comes off with just a couple levers and then loosed the draw pin torque bolt and pull the pin and your good to lift. Put the ball back in upside down and the floor is smooth with the exception of the two spring loaded safety chain u-bolts.

My used truck has been well used and the box shows its work history.

Here's the gooseneck installed.

Here's the hitch complete with the Companion 18k.

This shows what all goes in the truck and bed. The Companion has plastic rails that are adjusted to fit into the bed grooves for stability etc. When the hitch torque bolt is torqued down to 60ft/#, the Companion is VERY tight to the floor and no rattles at all.

Other than the possible weight issue for some people, I would recommend the B&W setup. I don't really know where it fits in the price with other alternatives out there, but I believe I'm around $1600 for both, maybe a bit less, can't remember as I've slept since I bought it...
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:50 PM   #22
gearhead

There are all kind of ways to go about your issue. Do you want to keep your 5th hitch that you have now?
1..You can go with a Turnover ball installed in the truck. From that you could do any of the hitches designed for that.
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Goo...ck%20-%20B%26W
2...If you go Turnover ball you could buy an adapter and keep your old hitch. Like:
https://www.curtmfg.com/5th-wheel/gooseneck-adapters/x5
3..Turnover ball to Goosebox. Which given your situation I would consider.
4..Install factory puck system go whatever direction.

I think I would do some pricing and go with the best deal.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:11 AM   #23
rhagfo

Well now with the puck systems available for all of the big three I would NEVER put rails in for a 5er hitch.
While the B&W turnover ball was the gold standard for GN and then the Companion hitch, it doesn't match the SOLID connection for a 5er hitch of the factory puck systems.
I would not want a companion hitch resting on the bed floor of a newer truck as the metal in the bed floor is getting thinner.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #24
Twisties

I'm a total Noob, but we are going through this now. We got a 2019 3500 and have opted to install the puck system and bed wiring. We have parts for that coming and a B&W Companion for the Ram OEM system.

So, 1st thing: Both the Mopar Puck kit and the Mopar wiring harness are back ordered due to some sort of supplier interruption. There are apparently puck systems still around, that the dealer can pull from side warehouses or other dealers if you pay shipping. The wiring harness isn't available on that basis and isn't due until March. Our dealer gave us a list of dealers showing one in inventory, but most of these are on hold for a customer. I had to call way down the list to find one and had to pay shipping.

2nd thing: I had two Ram dealers decline to do the install, am still waiting for one RV shop 100 miles from here to get back to me, got an exorbitant price from another RV dealer, and found our only local RV service center guy has retired... eventually lined up our regular mechanic to do it for an hourly rate. It may be a lot easier to get an RV center to install whatever it that they regularly install... or do it yourself... which I was just about to do.

Anyway, I have never had an RV before, so I can't comment on if it's worth it... obviously I expect it to be... but I can say if you are heading this way, I would jump now on getting the parts and plan on some work and extra shipping $$.
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #25
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisties View Post
I'm a total Noob, but we are going through this now. We got a 2019 3500 and have opted to install the puck system and bed wiring. We have parts for that coming and a B&W Companion for the Ram OEM system.

So, 1st thing: Both the Mopar Puck kit and the Mopar wiring harness are back ordered due to some sort of supplier interruption. There are apparently puck systems still around, that the dealer can pull from side warehouses or other dealers if you pay shipping. The wiring harness isn't available on that basis and isn't due until March. Our dealer gave us a list of dealers showing one in inventory, but most of these are on hold for a customer. I had to call way down the list to find one and had to pay shipping.

2nd thing: I had two Ram dealers decline to do the install, am still waiting for one RV shop 100 miles from here to get back to me, got an exorbitant price from another RV dealer, and found our only local RV service center guy has retired... eventually lined up our regular mechanic to do it for an hourly rate. It may be a lot easier to get an RV center to install whatever it that they regularly install... or do it yourself... which I was just about to do.

Anyway, I have never had an RV before, so I can't comment on if it's worth it... obviously I expect it to be... but I can say if you are heading this way, I would jump now on getting the parts and plan on some work and extra shipping $$.

I'm sending you a PM.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #26
orvlin

Go with pucks You can take your hitch out in the winter and have a flat bed in your truck with no rails
orvlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:58 PM   #27
KSH

I called a few dealers until I found one that would do it. The more rural ones generally do it.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Everyone has an opinion, here's mine:

Rails in pickup truck beds was an evolutionary step. It wasn't too many years ago that fifth wheel RV's were introduced and people moved away from travel trailers and into fifth wheels. The engineers came up with a "first step" called the rail system to attach fifth wheel hitches in truck beds. It's clear that system of securing a hitch would be improved upon. Just as it's nearly impossible to find a car or truck now with manual windows, in the future, I think we're going to see all trucks equipped with the puck system instead of a rail system for fifth wheel hitches. While the puck system may be "yet another step in the evolution to a better system", currently, I think we're going to see rails in truck beds go the way of manual windows and yes, even my pet peeve, vent windows (those little wings that used to be so handy) …..

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #29
Gary R.

When we purchased our 5th wheel, we had to install a new hitch. I found the RAM factory had installed the brackets on the frame for the pucks, but not the pucks themselves. We bought the puck kit from Mopar parts, and installed them. Fun project, by the way. The scariest part was using a hole saw to drill four 3 inch holes thru the bed. Did not want to mess that up, so the old adage of measure twice, cut once applied here. A new B&W Companion hitch designed for the RAM puck design fit in perfectly. It is a bit heavy, but if you separate the hitch plate from the base, one person can handle the thing. Really like the setup, being able to enjoy a flat bed for hauling stuff when not towing.

Happy Holidays Everyone!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #30
Twisties

Thanks Don (Bolo4u). We have our mechanic lined up to do the work. I really appreciate you reaching out, though.
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:31 PM   #31
Big1

The factory puck was already install in my truck and I love it, I can go both ways, my B&W Companion hitch or I can go with the gooseneck hitch.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #32
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisties View Post
Thanks Don (Bolo4u). We have our mechanic lined up to do the work. I really appreciate you reaching out, though.

Sounds good!
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:15 PM   #33
bsmith0404

My last truck had rails and worked fine with my Andersen hitch for rails. When I got my new truck, it had the puck system so I had to decide if I should get the picture frame puck system rails or go a different direction. I don’t like how high the picture frame rails for the puck system sit so I decided to get a new hitch for the turnover ball. Decided to go with the pullrite 2600 series single point connection instead of the Andersen mainly because of the footprint, much easier to store. Love the hitch and glad I got it. As for rails or puck system, to me either one is fine, they both work well. The only gain is the flat bed which never interfered with anything I did. If I was in your shoes, I’d put rails in and keep the same hitch vs spending $2k more. IMO, very little return on investment. If your truck had the puck system already, then I’d get a different hitch, but that’s not your situation.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #34
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Everyone has an opinion, here's mine:

While the puck system may be "yet another step in the evolution to a better system", currently, I think we're going to see rails in truck beds go the way of manual windows and yes, even my pet peeve, vent windows (those little wings that used to be so handy) …..
John, I'm sorry, 30 or so years ago I sold/scraped all the tooling, die cast equipment, Gridley screw machines and Kingsbury machining centers required to manufacture the hand crank vent window mechanism. It sat a long time waiting for the rebirth of that little device.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:18 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
John, I'm sorry, 30 or so years ago I sold/scraped all the tooling, die cast equipment, Gridley screw machines and Kingsbury machining centers required to manufacture the hand crank vent window mechanism. It sat a long time waiting for the rebirth of that little device.
I think you just said (in a round about way) for me to stop looking for vent windows in new trucks and not to hang onto the rail setup that was in my old truck ???? Chances are the rails, the picture frame adapter I used until I bought a "real puck hitch" and the leg set that connected to the rail bars are all sitting in the pole barn, "collecting dust"... I'd suppose if you got rid of the tools to make/repair the vent windows, I might as well haul all of my "scrap iron rail stuff" to the scrap yard....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

John, I think the "wing windows" (every smoker's favorite) disappeared after the floor starter switch disappeared but before the floor high beam dimmer switch did.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #37
Preyou

2019 F250 right out of the box with the puck system. BW companion slider hitch. I installed a hook in my garage ceiling, got a chainfall from HF and easily lift the hitch out of the bed and store. For a 70 year old this is the way to go. Bed is clear and I can use it for my wood work.

Thanks
Preyou is offline   Reply With Quote