Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #1
durhamcutter

Axel problem

I have a tire on the front axel on the drivers side that is wearing bad on the inside, I have been told by my tire man that it looks like a bent spindle. Have any of you had this problem? What did you do about It? Don't know how it happened it just did.If you have any advise please let me know and I will thank you in advance
durhamcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
bobbecky

Before you condemn the axle, take the rig to an alignment shop that does trailers and big rigs. It may simply be an alignment problem that they can fix by bending the axle into alignment. If it really is a damaged spindle, they will be able to see that and can offer repair suggestions.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:54 PM   #3
CWtheMan

Go to page #20 in the reference provided below. It shows and explains the most common causes for abnormal tire wear.

https://www.keystonerv.com/media/914...anual-2019.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:10 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Cal's suggestion to take a look at the Keystone Owner's manual which has some pretty good drawings that depict tire wear is spot on.

It's been my experience that if ONE side of an axle has abnormal tire wear, it may be a bent spindle (in addition to the things described in the reference above.... Typically, if it's an axle alignment, both sides will show similar wear. Example: If one side is forward, that "forces the other end of the "undamaged axle" rearward, so one tire will wear on the outside and the other on the inside (with similar wear patterns).

If you only have one tire with abnormal wear, chances are it's either a spindle problem (bent spindle or damaged/loose bearings) or a hub problem (dragging brakes, etc)...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:27 AM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Cal's suggestion to take a look at the Keystone Owner's manual which has some pretty good drawings that depict tire wear is spot on.

It's been my experience that if ONE side of an axle has abnormal tire wear, it may be a bent spindle (in addition to the things described in the reference above.... Typically, if it's an axle alignment, both sides will show similar wear. Example: If one side is forward, that "forces the other end of the "undamaged axle" rearward, so one tire will wear on the outside and the other on the inside (with similar wear patterns).

If you only have one tire with abnormal wear, chances are it's either a spindle problem (bent spindle or damaged/loose bearings) or a hub problem (dragging brakes, etc)...
Always thought this way also!
On our last 5th wheel the left front tire out in about 5k miles, we were at the factory, they replaced the tire then they sent me to an alignment shop & yes 1 tire can wear due to alignment, they aligned both axles, that front being considerably worse & all 4 tires wore equally for the next 60-70k miles before selling the RV.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #6
comfun1

A few years ago I bought a new toyhauler and within a few months a wear pattern was developing on one of the tires. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the axle, problem solved.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:01 AM   #7
goducks

Last time I got my axles aligned the place that did the work said they always do alignments even when installing brand new axles.
Makes sense. Why take a chance and wear out a tire or two.
My last 5er had ALCO axles and my previous TT had Lippert axles. The tech guy that did the TT alignment said the axle was soft so he put in some extra camber.
Stuffs just not made all that great anymore.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #8
durhamcutter

Thanks for all of the comments, took the Coach to a spring and axel place to have it checked out and found out it was out of alignment, had it realigned and things are now OK, it increased my gas mileage by one mile per gallon. again THANKS.
durhamcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Finding a shop that can bend an axle may be harder than some folks imply. I had a bent axle on a Forest River Wildwood XL22 toy hauler and couldn't find a shop near the San Antonio area to bend it back to shape. Ended up buying a new axle and they are expensive. I think it was a Dexter but can't remember that for sure.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote