Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2020, 10:31 AM   #1
purebred

light weight generator for battery charging

I know this subject has been beat to death but wondering what others use strictly for keeping batteries charged only. Since moving back to Texas and close to the coast I would like something for an emergency just in case we have to vacate quickly, ie, hurricane, or whatever. I only want to charge the three batteries and won't use anything but 12 volt power. We have the Samsung fridge with inverter. Trying to keep weight at minimum and able to use like in a rest area or whatever. No AC, microwave or any things like that. Been looking and there is a million small generators out there, mainly interested in what the good people with Keystones use for small, easy to use gens. 2 stroke, 4 stroke? size ? etc. Thanks
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #2
KimNTerry

I have 2 Yamaha EF2000IS generators I can parallel together but I only need one to charge batteries. I have had these for 5 years and they are running strong.

Paralleled together I can use electricity just like I'm plugged in to shore power. (I have a 30 Amp Electrical system). Using just one, I can use most electricity No A/C or microwave, but pretty much everything else.

If I were looking at new quiet Inverter Generators I would probably go with Harbor Freight Predator. 1/2 the price of the Yamaha or Honda and are getting great reviews.

My parallel connector is actually a Predator connector from Harbor freight. The crappy parallel cable form Yamaha died in the second season of use and was twice the price of the Predator kit.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
purebred

Thanks I'll look into that
Old 09-24-2020, 01:07 PM   #4
Canonman

If cost is not an issue, then either Honda or Yamaha make great generators. If the use is only occasional then something like this Yamaha powered generator from Costco might be a good choice to save $$$. https://www.costco.com/a-ipower-powe...100653776.html
I personally use a Dometic 3kw when needed as a back up to our 200w solar kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-3219.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	29991  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:38 PM   #5
chunker

Don't get a cheap "contractors" generator from the big box hardware. They are loud and everyone will hate you. Inverter generator like mentioned above.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #6
purebred

Appreciate the info. Yep it will definitely be a inverter generator. That much for sure
Old 09-25-2020, 06:59 AM   #7
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Hi. We have two Honda 2000's since 2005. Lots of use in storms when run together and a single one will run the rv ac but not much else due to start up load. Upkeep is minimal and changing the tune up items is easy. Folks see the same results from Yamahas and the new Onan portables will probably be the same.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:10 PM   #8
B-O-B'03

I have a Champion 2800/3100 inverter generator, that I bought in 2015.

I still starts on the first pull and has almost 250 hours run time on it.

It will start & run the 15K BTU AC unit in our camper as well as run the inside & outside fridges and the converter to charge the batteries.

We had a couple of power outages at the house recently ( 10 hours and 23.5 hours) and I used it to run the fridge in the house, the fridge and deep freeze in the garage as well as all the TVs, cable boxes, sound systems and some lighting.

I paid $600 for it at Costco and that included delivery.

I like having just one generator to service and fuel.

-Brian

Tags
battery, generator, light