Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2020, 02:52 PM   #1
GilaElkHunter

Transfer switch with portable generator

My 2019 HC 310RE has the generator prep. and I don't use it, I have a portable Yamaha 6300 watt inverter generator. My question is can I delete the transfer switch? My concern is that we use the remote start/stop on the portable generator and when we stop it with remote there is this god awful noise (sounds like a arc flash) that comes from the t switch. It doesn't do it if I go out and unplug from gen. and stop it. We have stopped using the remote til I can get this figured out. Anyone have any Ideas?
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:24 AM   #2
McRod

Yeah, it's electrical surge as the generator winds down. Just remember to shut off your charger before shutting down the generator.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:27 AM   #3
Ribtip

So should we always be unplugging the unit from the generator before shutting it down. I've never done this on my motor home but now that i think about it there was a lot of clicking going on as the gen wound down.
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:06 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtip View Post
So should we always be unplugging the unit from the generator before shutting it down. I've never done this on my motor home but now that i think about it there was a lot of clicking going on as the gen wound down.
I would turn the breaker off on the genset before removing the plug. Doing so will will prevent the plug and receptacle from arching which will lead to premature failure.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:35 PM   #5
GilaElkHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
Yeah, it's electrical surge as the generator winds down. Just remember to shut off your charger before shutting down the generator.
HUH?? shut off what charger and how?
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
Old 04-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Reading through the original post, it sounds like the generator is being "turned off while still disconnected and the "arcing" is happening as power is thrown at the switch...

There's a caution/warning/note in every generator operating manual that I've read stating to disconnect ALL generator loads and allow the generator to run "with no load" for several minutes (to cool) before turning it off...

If, what you're doing is "turning off the generator with the remote control, then you're disconnecting the generator while under load, and as the transfer switch disconnects, it's arcing, as the generator output falls below the rated power to keep the transfer switch activated.

If that's what's happening, it's only a matter of time before you destroy the generator or burn up the contact plates in the transfer switch.

I'd suggest, if you're going to use the remote control to start/stop the generator, turn off the trailer power center main circuit breakers first, that will remove the load (or most of it) to prevent the arcing. Better year, unplug the trailer at the generator power panel, let the generator run for the recommended time listed in your operator's manual, and then just "flip the OFF switch at the generator.

When using the remote control on generators with a built in "timed delay to remove power and shut down the generator with the remote control, usually what happens is you push the remote control "OFF" button, the generator drops power output and the engine runs for 10-15 seconds (maybe more) and then the engine also shuts off. What's probably happening is you push the remote control off button while the transfer switch is active, as the generator output goes to "OFF" the transfer switch, still under load, arcs as it switches to shore power (even if no shore power is connected, it switches to "not generator" as the power drops. The arc is part of the "under load" condition inside the transfer switch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:16 PM   #7
Ribtip

So the way I'm reading this is that the op is using a gen as the shore power and by turning the gen off while still hooked to the camper the transfer switch is jumping from the gen loosing power on shut down. I think the op wants to disconnect the switch from the power system. I like the idea above where the circuit is shut off at the gen before the power is shut down. But that defeats the whole key fob thing.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtip View Post
So the way I'm reading this is that the op is using a gen as the shore power and by turning the gen off while still hooked to the camper the transfer switch is jumping from the gen loosing power on shut down. I think the op wants to disconnect the switch from the power system. I like the idea above where the circuit is shut off at the gen before the power is shut down. But that defeats the whole key fob thing.
Using the remote on the generator would be useful if say you were at a jobsite where you turn everything off first then the generator. Shutting down any generator "under load" is a bad idea. It's the same reason you should turn the breaker off in the pedestal box before connecting or disconnecting the shore power cable.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:08 PM   #9
Ribtip

I agree. When i shut down the gen in the motor home i would shut everything off let it cool run for a couple min's and shut it down. But the transfer switch still clicked a couple times as the gen wound down. I think the op just needs to disconnect the switch if he has the prep for a gen but never is gonna have one installed.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:09 PM   #10
GilaElkHunter

I took the transfer switch out last night, everything works fine and no more arc sounds. I ran this same generator with the remote on my last trailer with no problems. But it didn't have the transfer switch either. There is nowhere on the generator to switch off load before unplugging. And not going to flip the breaker everytime I turn gen. off. I think this is going to work just fine like my last trailer.
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
Old 04-21-2020, 05:31 PM   #11
Ribtip

Nice. I think your gonna be just fine.

Tags
generator