Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2020, 04:44 PM   #21
Fourbtgait

Ras

I just installed a set today.
2016 F150, 1868 cargo capacity. Bilstine 5100 shocks, front set 3/4” higher than oem. C rated all season tires.
Trailer 22’ Passport, average tongue weight 900. Equalizer hitch set up properly.
I had Firestone air bags last vehicle, forget yo let air out, rough ride. Plumbed together. If you travel off camber situations like roads, gullys, etc, yes, air bleeds to higher side of vehicle. Some people also install air bags to increase capacity, I didn’t.
I put the RAS on not to gain weight capacity but-to “stiffen” the rear leaves. Raised back of truck 3/4” which brought it back to original rake without the Bilstines. I typically carry 300-500 lbs bed of truck daily at work, that sets truck down so all leaves were active. Not much reserve capacity. Ford softened springs for city drivers wanting a truck.
Ride is no stiffer than before. “Feels” to have tiny bit less body roll but was not installed for that. No reason for Hellwig for me as I know it’s not a sports car plus I want the axle travel for cross country travel.
Haven’t towed with it yet but the reviews on F-150 forum say good things.
If I still had a 250 with 3500 lb capacity, no, I wouldn’t put them on. I don’t max out tow or weight capacity.
Fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:26 AM   #22
gearhead

The running on the air bags instead of springs issue is discussed occasionally on truck camper forums. The truck will get mushy and have more sway. Truck campers with their higher center of gravity are effected by this. Usually the truck is overloaded and the owner is trying to get it back to level.
My one experience with air bags was OEM on a Class C motorhome. I didn't like them.
Torklift Stableloads may be a better solution.
https://www.torklift.com/blog/entry/...ads-vs-airbags
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:24 AM   #23
JohnMpcny

Get sumo springs

Save money and lot of hassle just get sumo springs. I have them and love them, I may also add them to the camper this year also.

https://www.supersprings.com/learn-more/rv-suspension/
JohnMpcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:23 AM   #24
ChuckS

I’ve run Airlift 5000s on the last three GMC trucks Ive owned. Wouldn’t be without them. Currently on a 2007 GMC club cab 4x4 short bed. Bilstein shocks put on at about 90K. Run about 25 psi empty and 60 when loaded. Ride is stable and smooth. I tow pretty much in the Mtns and in a lot of side winds. Not one issue with stability and ride control

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:54 AM   #25
Scott G

I have the Roadmaster kit on my 07.5 2500 hd Duramax and love it. I pull a 32' cougar and have a 2000lb camper I put in the back of it. It raised the rear up a bit but sits perfect with the truck camper and the fifth wheel on it. The ride is slightly rougher empty but still very comfortable. The body roll was reduced and the ride very stable and comfortable while loaded.
Scott G is offline   Reply With Quote