Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2020, 08:46 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Agreed on the Class C comments. We looked at them at some shows and they would have been a serious downsize for a lot more money, at least in our situation as owners of trucks it would mean buying a toad.

Most Class C and low end Class A coaches are gasoline powered and get about 6 m.p.g. If you have a toad you have to disconnect before backing into a site. Also, depending on your state the license, taxes, and inspections may differ as it's motorized.

Didn't intend to ramble on but as with any choice or decision there are many points to ponder.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #22
LynchMom

Gosh, all great insight! I tend to be a ‘glass 1/2 full’ kinda gal so hearing the not so pretty is sometimes what I need. Our youngest is 15 so we probably only have another year or so of him traveling with us. But the 3 grandkids will still join us from time to time. So losing space right now wouldn’t be a good idea. Mr LynchMom wants to take me out west when he retires but that’s quite a ways away. Plenty of time to actually want or need to downsize.
Lots to consider for sure! Will keep y’all posted!
LynchMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

I for one, and there are several others here I believe, that are a "let's measure the glass carefully" kind of people. My DW of 40 years is a very optimistic, trusting nurturing type (she was a NICU nurse) so the for the 45 + years of living with Yang I'm the Ying (the electro mechanical construction engineer).

When looking at these types of considerations The DW will get starry eyed and see a romantic trip. She is a salesman's dream. I see it with the "vision into the future" as the one setting it up and breaking it down, the one driving it, maintaining it, etc. I am the salesman's worst nightmare. We work very well together and keep each other balanced.

I take a ledger approach. Positive points on side and negative on the other. If one side far outweighs the other I tend to lean that direction. So, long way to get here but to me, many people, especially the folks looking at purchasing typically have the
"positives" entrenched and do not need a lot of encouragement. The "bling", the eluring brochures, and the salesman provide more than sufficient encouragement. So while it may seem negative I see it more as a "realistic" perspective that's observational/experienced based.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #24
Ken / Claudia

Hats off for asking questions, both truck and trailer are nice vehicles. In the end likely not made for each other.
I repeat this on everyone of these type posts, my trailer has a 920lb tongue wt. when checked about the 1st week after purchase. Loaded for 2 people for 3 days, full propane and fresh water. Factory said it was 560 lbs.
Despite what others say, I always know it's behind me. I check the mirrors every few minutes or more just to be safe. I may not feel it being towed but I always know it's there. Winds were so bad last week it blew the vinyl strip covering 1 of the door frame screws out of the track and dragging on the roadway. The other was partly pulled out.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:26 PM   #25
LynchMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I for one, and there are several others here I believe, that are a "let's measure the glass carefully" kind of people. My DW of 40 years is a very optimistic, trusting nurturing type (she was a NICU nurse) so the for the 45 + years of living with Yang I'm the Ying (the electro mechanical construction engineer).

When looking at these types of considerations The DW will get starry eyed and see a romantic trip. She is a salesman's dream. I see it with the "vision into the future" as the one setting it up and breaking it down, the one driving it, maintaining it, etc. I am the salesman's worst nightmare. We work very well together and keep each other balanced.

I take a ledger approach. Positive points on side and negative on the other. If one side far outweighs the other I tend to lean that direction. So, long way to get here but to me, many people, especially the folks looking at purchasing typically have the
"positives" entrenched and do not need a lot of encouragement. The "bling", the eluring brochures, and the salesman provide more than sufficient encouragement. So while it may seem negative I see it more as a "realistic" perspective that's observational/experienced based.
I love the way you think. You and your DW sound a lot like us. We balance. Too bad we’re on opposite coasts. I think we’d have great conversations around the campfire
Old 05-14-2020, 12:40 PM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchMom View Post
I love the way you think. You and your DW sound a lot like us. We balance. Too bad we’re on opposite coasts. I think we’d have great conversations around the campfire
You list your location as North Carolina. If that's where you currently are than we are than we are 2 states "up the coast".
Old 05-14-2020, 12:54 PM   #27
LynchMom

Oh my bad flybouy! I thought you were in OR. Must’ve been looking at another poster. If you’re ever down our way let me know! We mostly visit CGs in NC/SC.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:23 PM   #28
rhagfo

Quote:
New here, first post
We own a 2015 Cougar 31SQB
Dry Weight 7213
Payload 1787
GVWR 9000
Hubby traded our previous truck for a 2019 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L V8 4WD CrewMax
Tow capacity 9800
GVWR 7,200
Payload 1560
GCWR 16,000
I’m afraid our calculations were incorrect as far as what it can tow. I’ve spent the last 2 hours researching online only to be more confused than before I started. My best estimate, we’re over by at least 1000lbs. We’re not leaving the driveway until we can get confirmation. Any input is welcomed and appreciated!!
Well lots of good advice and you seem to be listening to it. So I have a couple questions;
1. What was your TV before you got the Tundra?

2. Which do you like the most, the Tundra or trailer?

My guess is that loaded for a week of camping you will add about 1,000# to the 5er, putting the GVW at about 8,200#. Then a 20% pin would be 1,640#. My guess the scales will put you over GVWR by about 600#, still not good.
You are either looking at 3/4 ton gas engine from the big three., or going to a TT trailer.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:35 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Russ the OP's camper is a travel trailer and not a fifth wheel.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:16 AM   #30
LynchMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well lots of good advice and you seem to be listening to it. So I have a couple questions;
1. What was your TV before you got the Tundra?

2. Which do you like the most, the Tundra or trailer?

My guess is that loaded for a week of camping you will add about 1,000# to the 5er, putting the GVW at about 8,200#. Then a 20% pin would be 1,640#. My guess the scales will put you over GVWR by about 600#, still not good.
You are either looking at 3/4 ton gas engine from the big three., or going to a TT trailer.
1. Previous was a 2012 F150 3.5 V6
2. The trailer. The truck is a lease, so there’s that....sigh
Old 05-15-2020, 08:35 AM   #31
travelin texans

Quote:
1. Previous was a 2012 F150 3.5 V6
2. The trailer. The truck is a lease, so there’s that....sigh
The Tundra is a lease?
If so I'd guess they wouldn't be real thrilled knowing you're towing 1000# overloaded with their truck.
This is why I would never buy a used lease or rental vehicle.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:38 AM   #32
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The Tundra is a lease?
If so I'd guess they wouldn't be real thrilled knowing you're towing 1000# overloaded with their truck.
This is why I would never buy a used lease or rental vehicle.
That was helpfu Danny! A possibility... I bought my 2006 F350 for a bit under $7K 140K miles and it is a diesel. Have put a few thousand bucks in it to make all the weak and problem areas fixed; did some myself and paid a pro to do others. I have less than $10K in the truck and use it pretty much to only drag my fifthwheel with an occasional run to the hardware. Since your Tundra is part of the family till the lease expires, perhaps a dedicated tow vehicle might make sense. Not sure about your finances but my truck was within my finances and you will take a beating with depreciation if you sell your camper.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:24 AM   #33
sonofcy

Quote:
New here, first post
We own a 2015 Cougar 31SQB
Dry Weight 7213
Payload 1787
GVWR 9000
Hubby traded our previous truck for a 2019 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L V8 4WD CrewMax
Tow capacity 9800
GVWR 7,200
Payload 1560
GCWR 16,000
I’m afraid our calculations were incorrect as far as what it can tow. I’ve spent the last 2 hours researching online only to be more confused than before I started. My best estimate, we’re over by at least 1000lbs. We’re not leaving the driveway until we can get confirmation. Any input is welcomed and appreciated!!
Using your numbers and simple math.
GCWR is 16,000, so the calculation is subtract the truck at 7,200 leaving 8,800 allowed for the trailer. Your truck is too small, you need a 3/4 ton.

2nd is the payload. Look at the yellow sticker on the driver side door post, it will NOT be the advertised 1,560. Even if it is though, the math is 1,560 minus (15% of 9,000) leaves 210lbs for you, your wife, EVERYTHING you put in/on the truck since it left the factory including the hitch, tools, anything placed in the bed of the truck. It is almost guaranteed you are over there too. You need a 3/4 ton gasser since a diesel will leave you where you started due to increased weight of diesel. If you want a diesel for the extra pulling power, then you need a 1 ton diesel.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:11 AM   #34
bbells

I had a 2016 Tundra and now have a 2020 Both 5.7l, 10,000+ tow capacity, 1850 payload. My truck pulled a lighter trailer fine (4600 pound dry). I only noticed it in the the wind. But the crewmax has a lower tow capacity. I have owned every brand truck out there and in IMHO, the Toyota is the only one worth keeping. I got sick of repairs, breakdowns, computer problems, spark plug problems, check engine lights, etc., on all the other brands. Simply sell the trailer and get something smaller or a 5th wheel.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:14 AM   #35
CaptnJohn

I’m a fan of your truck as a grocery getter but would never own 1 as I tow. I’d never consider towing with any TOYota.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:40 AM   #36
LynchMom

HUGE THANKS for all the replies! We’ve decided to sell/trade the trailer. We listed it yesterday and have found a few that are well under our towing capacity. So glad I came here for advice. Sad that we’re missing our Memorial Day weekend trip but it just wasn’t worth the risk.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:52 AM   #37
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I’m a fan of your truck as a grocery getter but would never own 1 as I tow. I’d never consider towing with any TOYota.
What? Not even the space shuttle? Are you telling me that advertisements place fast and loose with reality???? Wait a minute while I try to find my shocked face.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:03 AM   #38
bbells

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
You need to give reasons why you wouldn't get a Toyota, which is in fact the last American made truck (santa fe), and has the highest reliability rating of any truck, and, has a higher payload rating than other trucks of its size - 1850 pounds. FYI: Most Ford and Chev trucks are made in Brazil, Mexico and Canada. Do you have a problem with giving American workers jobs? Or is there some other reason? I have owned them all, and to be perfectly honest, it appears only people who haven't owned a better truck and think of the usual problems as normal feel the way you do. Life time reliability is meaningful. Any pos can make it 3 years without problems. Well, almost any. My Fords and Chevys never did.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:11 AM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

Getting into "my xxxx is better than your xxxx" is a wasted conversation generally.

That said, although Toyota employs American workers, as do the Big 3, the corporate profits for Toyota go to Toyota, Aichi, Japan - not Michigan etc.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:04 AM   #40
Roscommon48

big 417 said it all. yes you can pull it but you shouldn't
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote