Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
sonofcy

Water leaking from under shower stall

2018 Montana 3811MS out of warranty.
All of a sudden we are getting quite a bit of water coming out from under the shower. I can think of 3 places that water might get there, the supply, the drain and the shower track. I have gooped the shower track to no avail. I have run the water for a while and no leaks. ONLY when someone takes a shower does it leak so I am now convinced it has something to do with the drain. I have attached 4 photos. 2 of them show the style of shower, what I am showing is it will be very difficult to service this as it is builtin, the only thing I can envision is breaking all the seals and lifting it up to work under it. My suspicion is that the weight of the person in the shower is breaking the seal between the drain and the shower. Does anyone have experience servicing this kind of drain? Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0678.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	24420   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2561.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	24421   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5064.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	24422   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8276.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	24423  
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your shower is built above the basement, often times you can just remove the rear wall and see everything.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #3
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If your shower is built above the basement, often times you can just remove the rear wall and see everything.
No access from any side. Attached is picture of the back side of the shower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2971.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	24425  
Old 11-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Is your shower in the upper part of the coach, near the bedroom. Do you have to go up the stairs to get into the bathroom?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #5
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Is your shower in the upper part of the coach, near the bedroom. Do you have to go up the stairs to get into the bathroom?
Main living area is level 1, up 2 stairs to level 2 with bath, up 1 stair for level 3 bedroom. I see no access to the area between level 2 and 3 and it is only 7.75". Drain must be removable from above since there is no way to attach a nut on the bottom like most use.

Distance between level 1 and 2 is about duble, say 16" but the only access that is human size is from the basement. I have taken off the basement wall and still can't see the toilet or shower drain pipes. If the drain has to be removed from the bottom, I am screwed.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I’m willing to bet you can get to the drain from the basement.

Old 11-21-2019, 01:58 PM   #7
sonofcy

Well I assume so as well, but it will be a tight squeeze and lot's of 'stuff' in the way. At this point I can't even see the pipes that I know have to be there. I will look again but start at the black tank and work backwards to the toilet, then the shower drain should be a couple of feet beyond that. At the moment it doesn't seem to be leaking so we are guessing somebody has to be in the shower for it to happen.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

If you look at your photo of the shower drain, there's the shower pan, the drain and a black rubber gasket between the two. On most RV shower pans, the weight of an adult will push down on the shower pan causing it to flex. If there's any looseness between the drain and the shower pan, that flexing will allow the water to leak. You can run the shower all day and it'll never leak, stand in the shower, 2 minutes later, there's water on the floor.

How to fix it? Some (not all) shower pans have an access panel that you can remove from inside the bathroom. If you're lucky, you can work from above the floor. On the other hand, if your luck is like mine, you're going to need to "shinney under the floor" in the basement, once you finally get in there, you'll see a hole about 6" in diameter with the shower drain, HEPVO valve and the lower part of the shower drain fitting. You can remove the HEPVO valve (PAY ATTENTION TO HOW IT'S ORIENTED BECAUSE IT WON'T DRAIN IF YOU INTALL IT UPSIDE DOWN). Once the valve is removed, you can remove the drain fitting, clean it up, have someone in the bathroom clean up the top part of the drain fitting, reinstall it with some sealant on the black rubber gasket and then reassemble it (with the HEPVO valve properly positioned), let it dry overnight and hopefully you'll be "good to go".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Not sure how much the shower floor is flexing. Sealing the drain might stop the leak for the short haul but if you have an unacceptable amount of flex it might cause future problems. Upon purchase I knew ours had too much flex. They said it was normal. I told them that was silly; in 12 mos. and 4 days that shower floor was going to start leaking around that drain and the "I" would be doing the repairs. Made them go under the shower and install additional floor supports (like a rock now) and that issue has never reared its head. All that to say that, if accessible, some additional support may help with flex causing the leak.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #10
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you look at your photo of the shower drain, there's the shower pan, the drain and a black rubber gasket between the two. On most RV shower pans, the weight of an adult will push down on the shower pan causing it to flex. If there's any looseness between the drain and the shower pan, that flexing will allow the water to leak. You can run the shower all day and it'll never leak, stand in the shower, 2 minutes later, there's water on the floor.

How to fix it? Some (not all) shower pans have an access panel that you can remove from inside the bathroom. If you're lucky, you can work from above the floor. On the other hand, if your luck is like mine, you're going to need to "shinney under the floor" in the basement, once you finally get in there, you'll see a hole about 6" in diameter with the shower drain, HEPVO valve and the lower part of the shower drain fitting. You can remove the HEPVO valve (PAY ATTENTION TO HOW IT'S ORIENTED BECAUSE IT WON'T DRAIN IF YOU INTALL IT UPSIDE DOWN). Once the valve is removed, you can remove the drain fitting, clean it up, have someone in the bathroom clean up the top part of the drain fitting, reinstall it with some sealant on the black rubber gasket and then reassemble it (with the HEPVO valve properly positioned), let it dry overnight and hopefully you'll be "good to go".....
It took 2 hours for the water to show up but it leaks with nobody in the shower. Our old TT would have flexed but this Montana has a real one piece shower so no flex. No access panel. I will lay down a bead of goop where the seal is and see if that makes a difference. We are full timers and have been at our winter location for almost 2 months after more than a year at our friends place. This leak appeared out of nowhere, it is weird. I went and looked again and still can't see where the bathroom pipes come down. Tomorrow I will remove a panel on the other side to see what I can see.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:05 PM   #11
sonofcy

Problem fixed.
I found a smallish leak behind the shower faucet. I didn't think it was big enough to account for the amount of water on the floor so I fixed two things. First I put Goop on the drain seal, then I replaced the shower faucet. I also drilled a drain hole in the faucet cover at the low point and also in the plastic cover thing the faucet is attached to just in case the hot or cold line decided to leak again.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:31 AM   #12
sonofcy

UPDATE, we were wrong!

I thought the problem was fixed but nooooo.
I should start out by telling you the last thing done to the shower before the leak was to install a shut off device on the advice of someone since the oxygenics switch lets the water leak a bit and get cold.
When we first had the problem I did think of the new shut off as I am a very experienced troubleshooter. I even wondered if turning it off would cause a pressure build up and created a link. I didn't see a problem maybe because it just takes a long time to manifest.
My wife supplied the missing information., The leak only happened when she washed her hair and used the new shutoff.
I did notice when installing and connecting the new shower handles that I though the shower hose fitting seemed to move and these are all plastic.
SOLUTION #3 is to remove the new shut off.
SOLUTION #4 is to again replace the shower handles and not overtighten the hose fitting. These faucets are really cheaply made so I will try finding better quality online.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:57 AM   #13
jteigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

We had the flex in ours and it also leaked. The second time we had it into the dealer they completely redesigned/rerouted the plumbing and it hasn't leaked since.
jteigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:28 AM   #14
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jteigen View Post
We had the flex in ours and it also leaked. The second time we had it into the dealer they completely redesigned/rerouted the plumbing and it hasn't leaked since.
That is definitely a common issue and our lower quality TT we had before would have done that. It also had an access hatch. Our new higher quality trailer has no flex and no access to the drain other than crawling between the floors.
Also I sealed the pan to the gasket with goop just in case. It only leaks when the shut off valve is used, I never use it and it never leaks for me and I weigh more than my wife. Thanks for contributing.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:59 PM   #15
Larrylane

I have a shower stall just like yours and also had a leak on the floor (not in the basement) within minutes after taking a shower. I fixed mine by pulling out the screws holding the bottom shower door channel and installing rubber O-rings around the screws and re-installing them. I also filed the drain holes in the channel until it was flush with the channel so all the water sheeting down into the channel from the door would drain back into the shower and not just sit in the channel because the hole was 1/16" above it.

I had a friend that was encountering the same problem and he was able to repair based on my fix.
Larrylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:17 PM   #16
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrylane View Post
I have a shower stall just like yours and also had a leak on the floor (not in the basement) within minutes after taking a shower. I fixed mine by pulling out the screws holding the bottom shower door channel and installing rubber O-rings around the screws and re-installing them. I also filed the drain holes in the channel until it was flush with the channel so all the water sheeting down into the channel from the door would drain back into the shower and not just sit in the channel because the hole was 1/16" above it.

I had a friend that was encountering the same problem and he was able to repair based on my fix.
I already applied silicone to the screw head (only one) and gooped the end that looked like it was leaking but I will take a closer look after I run down some other issues.
Mine is still leaking after I thought we found it. I have a scope coming in the mail and will use that to investigate the few areas that are possible leakers. In my case the new faucet I installed might have been broken in that the thing labeled 'vacuum breaker' which is really where the shower hand held hose attaches might have been broke when I tightened the shower hose. It seems it is maybe a press fit, but I am sure I saw it move when I tightened the shower hose. The next most likely place is the drain, and the third is some sort of door issue as you had. I will take apert the faucet again and see if I can seal the ridiculous fitting for the shower hose.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:01 AM   #17
Larrylane

O-rings are pretty cheap and easy to apply. The hardest part is filing the holes in the door channel until they are flush with the bottom of the channel. I know before I did mine the water would sit in the bottom of the channel and collect dust and hair and start molding. Now the water runs out the channel and dries which makes cleaning easier during normal routines.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:21 AM   #18
sonofcy

Quote:
O-rings are pretty cheap and easy to apply. The hardest part is filing the holes in the door channel until they are flush with the bottom of the channel. I know before I did mine the water would sit in the bottom of the channel and collect dust and hair and start molding. Now the water runs out the channel and dries which makes cleaning easier during normal routines.
I was thinking of drilling some more drain holes but filig the existing drains makes sense. On mine at least they have NO drains at the extreme ends and that needs to be addressed. At the moment I can't see a way to remove the glass doors so I can remove the bottom channel. It looks like I have to remove the top channel, is that correct?
Old 12-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #19
Larrylane

I didn't remove mine.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #20
sonofcy

Quote:
I didn't remove mine.
My track is actually 3 tracks and filing the opening in the 2nd and 3rd track would be really difficult. I would look at using a dremel and abrasive drum to do that but I really doubt this is my source given there is only one screw through it and it was just covered with silicone recently., Also the amount of leak is waaaaaaay more than could go through the screw hole if I removed it entirely. My money is on the new taps I installed and promptly ruined by tightening the hose without holding onto the dumb plastic thing that feeds water to the hose. As soon as my inspection scope gets here I will look at the taps to decide if I need to replace them again but this time knowing to not twist the stupid plastic pipe out of it's seat.

Tags
leak, water, water leak