Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
robert and mill

Route to travel

Traveling from Sacramento ca to Terre Haute ind. what’s the best route towing a 2013 keystone cougar 318sab. Using Chevy 2500 with 6 liter gas motor.
robert and mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Unless you want to add "miles and miles and hours and hours" to your trip, you're essentially "headed east on I-80 for the major part of the trip. Depending on the time of year, you WILL hit ice and snow through a significant part of the trip, and if it's in January/February, expect to be stranded in a blizzard. If it doesn't happen, you'll be extremely lucky. If it's in the spring, expect significant crosswinds, so travel in the late evenings through the night and plan on stopping during the hot part of the day when winds are strongest.

It's a 2000 mile trip, plan 5 days (about 400 miles a day) and add significant time for "hostile weather conditions".

If the trip is this winter, I'd leave the trailer winterized as it will probably be too cold to even warm it up for overnight sleeping and with no campgrounds open, electrical hookups will be "critically limited to non-existent"....

If it's a summer trip, I'd plan a couple of days travel and then a day to rest and relax, then finish the trip. This past spring (2019) I-80 from the Nebraska border to Chicago was "brutal on the trailer's suspension" and some segments were rougher than a dirt road (which it resembled in many places).

When you get to Lincoln NE, you might consider I-29 down to I-70. That would only shorten the trip by about 25 miles, but may have better road conditions.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:56 PM   #3
linux3

Interesting.
We've only been as far west as Salt Lake City but if it was summer I would suggest I-80 to Davenport Iowa then I-74 down. Google maps suggests I-70 in Lincoln but then you have to go through St. Louis. I went through St. Louis ONCE on I-70 now I avoid it as it's a mess. Confusing and busy.

But, East of Salt Lake you are heading pretty far North. If you are planning to leave between now and spring, well do you know what winter is like in the Northern plains?
Blizzards and high winds pop up without warning.

More miles but this time of year I would think about I-40 in Bakersfield and East. A more Southerly route. JMHO.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:00 AM   #4
hornet28

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
More miles but this time of year I would think about I-40 in Bakersfield and East. A more Southerly route. JMHO.
You can be in snow/ice storms with this route also, Flagstaff, Albuquerque and Amarillo. You just need to plan ahead and be willing to drive long hrs to keep ahead of any storm. A few years ago we left Sedona in Feb. with a window of opportunity and drove to W. Mi in 2 days in order to stay ahead of a storm. We were not towing
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote