Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2021, 05:51 AM   #1
Campy

Better quality porcelain toilet, which one?

We have had issues with our porcelain toilet since new not holding water in the bowl. I have to replace the rubber seal at the start of every season to get by one year. Tired of dealing with it and now is the time to make a permanent fix. Looking for ideas on brand and or model. I think the one in there now is a Dometic, will verify that... yes it is a 300 series.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:23 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I've not had a Dometic 300 but it seems the go to brand/model is the Dometic 310 or 320. The 310 is the round bowl and the 320 is elongated. Another notable difference is that the 310 is "rimless" and the flush ports are located along the upper flat rim of the bowl. The 320 has the rinsing ports underneat the upper "rim" like a regular S&B toilet. I always put in a 310 right off the bat.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:56 AM   #3
Campy

I just found my owners manual and mine is the 310 model. Back in 2019 I ordered and bulk supply of the rubber bowl seals.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:04 AM   #4
Wyldfire

Don't know the year of yours but Dometic did have a recall on some toilets.

https://northeast-truckcampers.org/d...toilet-recall/
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:53 AM   #5
Hblick48

That recall is for the Dometic 300 which is all plastic. OP noted that he has porcelain which means 310 or 320.

I have a 310 and was also had a leaky seal, thus would lose water. First, I got some of the grease specified by Dometic at a big box store. Wasn't 100% but better. Now, before I put it into storage between trips, I add some extra water to the bowl, and then pour in a little liquid RV holding tank valve lubricant. It sinks to the bottom of the bowl, and keeps the seal soft and pliable. Haven't had a problem since starting this routine.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:44 AM   #6
travelin texans

Do you move your foot from the pedal so the valve snaps shut or slowly release the pedal. Mine if you didn't let it snap shut it would leak.
Smearing some plumbers grease, found at most hardware stores, around the seal periodically also helps.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:07 AM   #7
Campy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
That recall is for the Dometic 300 which is all plastic. OP noted that he has porcelain which means 310 or 320.

I have a 310 and was also had a leaky seal, thus would lose water. First, I got some of the grease specified by Dometic at a big box store. Wasn't 100% but better. Now, before I put it into storage between trips, I add some extra water to the bowl, and then pour in a little liquid RV holding tank valve lubricant. It sinks to the bottom of the bowl, and keeps the seal soft and pliable. Haven't had a problem since starting this routine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Do you move your foot from the pedal so the valve snaps shut or slowly release the pedal. Mine if you didn't let it snap shut it would leak.
Smearing some plumbers grease, found at most hardware stores, around the seal periodically also helps.
Got the plumbers grease under the sink with extra seals. I think I'm just going to replace it, clearly there is an issue as it has leaked the bowl dry ever since new. I think I'm going to try the newer version with the rimmed bowl and hope mine was just made wrong. Cant seem to find another brand that would be "better"??
Old 04-19-2021, 06:40 AM   #8
LewisB

I'm a big guy and found the 310 rather small. We replaced one of our toilets with a 320 this last year and I love it. Probably will replace the other one this year. Let the foot pedal "snap" back and use some lubricant/grease and it should seal.

Good luck.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:08 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy View Post
Got the plumbers grease under the sink with extra seals. I think I'm just going to replace it, clearly there is an issue as it has leaked the bowl dry ever since new. I think I'm going to try the newer version with the rimmed bowl and hope mine was just made wrong. Cant seem to find another brand that would be "better"??
Maybe you've already done this, but I didn't see a comment about it, so:

Have you "reformed the seal" to the toilet using the procedure in the owner's manual? On a few (no idea how many) Dometic toilets, there is a "deformity" in the seal seat/flush ball and the rubber gasket doesn't "conform properly" to the face of the ball. When that happens, there's a slight gap that allows the water to "drain from the bowl"... The procedure is to empty the toilet bowl, close the flush ball and pour HOT water into the toilet, allow the water to cool completely and then use a silicone lubricant to recoat the seal ring.

I've seen a couple of toilets that were "EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING" for the owner who had replaced the seal, reseated it repeatedly, couldn't get the toilet to hold water and were about to toss it in the trash. An hour and a pot of hot water saved the day....

While it may not work for you, if you haven't tried it, might save you a couple hundred bucks.....

As for a better brand toilet, I don't think there's anything on the market that works in an RV better than the Sealand/Dometic brand. IMHO, don't fall for the Thetford "hype".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:46 AM   #10
Readi2Roll

Angry No help from DOMETIC

Man, I wish I had found this thread before wasting an hour listening to DOMETICS "crappy" elevator music. My issue is with the leaking flush ball seal (310, 2 years old, already replaced once). I have another ordered, but will try some of the suggestions mentioned above. FYI: DOM would not send me a replacement seal for the one I got 4 months ago, said, "Take it to a repair point for warranty consideration," and, they would only reply, "there is no recall."
Thanks for the info!
Readi2Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:58 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readi2Roll View Post
Man, I wish I had found this thread before wasting an hour listening to DOMETICS "crappy" elevator music. My issue is with the leaking flush ball seal (310, 2 years old, already replaced once). I have another ordered, but will try some of the suggestions mentioned above. FYI: DOM would not send me a replacement seal for the one I got 4 months ago, said, "Take it to a repair point for warranty consideration," and, they would only reply, "there is no recall."
Thanks for the info!
The CS rep you spoke with is correct. There is no recall on the Dometic 310 toilet and the rubber bowl seal is considered a "wear item" and not covered by warranty "after use".... Quite often they'll send a replacement seal if the one you get is "defective upon installation"... After a couple of months, it's always been my experience that they won't replace it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:35 PM   #12
Pull Toy

If you decide to change to a different Dometic, be sure to spec it out. They are not all plug and play swap out for dimensions.

The newer 310's have a wooden "no slam seat". Works for me! lol

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:25 PM   #13
travelin texans

Don't swap it for Thetford thinking it's better! It's by far worse.
At least you can get reasonably priced parts for Dometic toilets.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-13-2021, 02:16 PM   #14
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readi2Roll View Post
Thanks for the info!
Rather that replace the seal which gets dried out when not in constant use, put on a rubber glove, take the vaseline out and put a dab on your gloved finger and wipe the edge of the seal. That will bring the seal back to life and it will hold water. I also carry a spare... just in case.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:20 PM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Rather that replace the seal which gets dried out when not in constant use, put on a rubber glove, take the vaseline out and put a dab on your gloved finger and wipe the edge of the seal. That will bring the seal back to life and it will hold water. I also carry a spare... just in case.
Better to use "plumbers grease" found at most hardware stores, petroleum products are detrimental to rubber seals & gaskets.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #16
Readi2Roll

DOMETIC 310 leak update & SOLUTION

Several days I posted about my flush seal not holding water. I had replaced it twice with no luck. One of the steps is to clean the flush clam valve. I had done so with a toilet brush. Another is to use plumbers grease; did that. I watched yet another video to see if there was any other solutions (like those in this thread (IE: hot water).
The most recent video showed the owner "super cleaning" the valve: Paper towel and spray cleaner. THAT I had not done. The valve LOOKED clean (Had been brushed with toilet bowel cleaner).
Well, I gotta admit - once I did a detailed cleaning: it worked.
The place where my gasket was leaking is the first part of the valve to retract when you push the foot valve. Its a little more difficult to get at, but is important to get to!
Following the spray (window cleaner) and paper towels cleaning I reinstalled the gasket with light application of grease, and it has been working fine!
I hope my lesson learned helps someone else down the road!
Readi2Roll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, toilet