Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
cwjhpd

Newbie looking for advice

Hi All:

I just bought my first travel trailer, a 2013 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 31SQB. Towing it with a 2013 F-150 4X4, 3.51 rear end, hitch mounted with weight distribution and friction sway control, and brake controller installed. Pulled effortless on the way home from the dealership.

Resisted salesmans efforts to sell me everything under the sun, including extended warranty, sealant treatment, max-air vent covers, etc, etc, until I heard from others on what I might really need or if the extended warranty is something I should consider.

Wanted to see if you all can recommend resources for "do's" and "don'ts", advice on some questions and concerns. For example, I live in Texas where the summers are brutally hot and humidity is high. Should I spend extra money for covered storage to keep the sun from beating down on the trailer? Recommendations on how to care for the unit and keep it in good condition.

Also, what can you tell me about the Good Sam Club or the Good Sam Extended Service plan. Any other after market service plans or warranties that people have had good luck with?

So, I guess back and see what advice you all have for me. And thanks in advance.
cwjhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

First, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your RV.

We have been Good Sam members for a number of years and take advantage of their Emergency Road Service Plan. For us, it does the job at a reasonable price and with good coverage. We do not have an extended warranty plan with them. We seldom, if ever, stay at any of their Good Sam Parks, attend Samborees but we also have used their trip planning service from time to time.

I think you will find more members advising you not to purchase any type of extended warranty plan. The reasons being (1) all of the appliances in RV's nowadays have a 1 or 2 year warranty on them (2) your roof has a 10 yr warranty (3) other components may have additional warranties on them and you should check with the manufacturer (4) almost all do not cover leaks (5) a deductible which is probably around $500 and (6) there are plenty of exclusions.

Like any extended warranty, you need to read the fine print and discover what is NOT covered. Many folks set aside a sum of money equal to the cost of the warranty and use those funds for any necessary repairs. If you end up not using any or all of this money, it is $$$$ in your wallet.

Others who live in Texas and surrounding states will, I'm sure, chime in and offer you advice about storage and covering. Summers that are both hot and brutal are a foreign concept to those living in southwestern BC.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjhpd View Post
Wanted to see if you all can recommend resources for "do's" and "don'ts", advice on some questions and concerns. For example, I live in Texas where the summers are brutally hot and humidity is high. Should I spend extra money for covered storage to keep the sun from beating down on the trailer? Recommendations on how to care for the unit and keep it in good condition.
Cwjhpd -

To answer your storage question, I need to ask a question: How long to you want the decals to last? Of course, there are many factors that will affect the "life of the decals", and I have no doubt but some will follow my post outlining them. Sunlight is one item that "can be hard" on decals. (Of course, Keystone will replace the decals if they have any in stock - you just have to put them on the unit.) Keeping the exterior clean and treating the decals with 303 every three months (if left outside in Texas) is a good idea. Another item is tires. UV light and ozone are tough on tires. If left in the Texas sun, the tires should be covered. If parked in covered storage, sunlight might not reach the tires' surface. But I would still use a "tire dressing" compound. The Texas sun can pretty much turn the inside of an RV into a high temperature oven. That heat is hard on the wood, fabric, etc.

This list could go on, but I'll end there (some members will be surprised! ) We chose to park our Alpine in covered storage which only subjected the front cap and decals to sunlight a few hours a day during June and early July. But at the storage facility, there are many RVs including expensive Class As parked in the north Texas heat. I would dare say that the "parking in covered storage" depends upon your choices and pocketbook. But whether you are parking your RV outside or living in it full time in an RV park, I would encourage you to get a set of tire covers and to use them.

If you do a search in the forum, you will find many postings and much discussion on the care of the EPDM roof, the care of the exterior, and the care and protection of the decals. Probably all your questions have answers via Search.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
Bob Landry

If you can afford it and you are planning to keep the railer for a while, I also recommend covered storage. IMO, the extra cost will offset the damage from UV. It can be brutal starting wit the window coverings that stay pulled down. I hope you went for the AC upgrade and got the 15K BTU A/C(s). I didn't on my first trailer and for $150 difference, I really regretted it.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
fla-gypsy

Extended warranty's- Not for me, they are only insurance policies designed to be a profit center

Covered storage- Is always better than uncovered storage

Care- Keep it clean and waxed (if you have the strength). I never worry about the heat and humidity and I live in Florida in similar conditions and never had a problem. You will want to inspect the sealant on the roof regularly for signs of cracking and address those issues right away when the occur.

If you are not "handy" prepare for an education as owning an RV will make you an expert on everything.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
x96mnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
Extended warranty's- Not for me, they are only insurance policies designed to be a profit center

Covered storage- Is always better than uncovered storage

Care- Keep it clean and waxed (if you have the strength). I never worry about the heat and humidity and I live in Florida in similar conditions and never had a problem. You will want to inspect the sealant on the roof regularly for signs of cracking and address those issues right away when the occur.

If you are not "handy" prepare for an education as owning an RV will make you an expert on everything.
Agree with everything here!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote