Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
g8er065

RV Storage

Do you store your travel trailer at a storage facility? If so how much is it and do they offer any amenities such as power or a camper wash area. I am just trying to gather some information.
g8er065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Scottinvt

Our local fairgrounds charges about $10 per ft. No power or heat just dry cold storage.
Scottinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Locked, indoor storage about 30 miles from here in the old Duro Factory warehouse is $2.50 a square foot for the season. The season runs from October 15 through May 15. There is no reduction for storing late or picking up early. So, if we decided to put our RV in storage in January and get it out in February to go to Florida, it would cost the same as storing it from mid October until Mid May.

What we get for that payment is secure (locked, controlled access) indoor storage, insurance on the RV if the building is vandalized or if the building is damaged (roof cave in, etc) or if someone runs into it moving another vehicle inside the warehouse.

There is no insurance against damage such as flat tires, rodent/insect damage, there is no electricity, no heat and only limited snow removal outside. So, if we wanted to get the RV out in mid winter for a trip, we would be responsible for snow removal unless it was prearranged. They do not plow daily or even weekly, only by prearranged notice.

If we remove the RV, the contract is complete. Should we want to store it again during the season, it would cost the same as the first storage contract.

Cost for us, with our RV which measures 28'6" is $570 for the season.

We are in the process of building a pole barn this month. Once it is erected, I plan to store my RV in my own building. We were building this pole barn anyway to store other equipment, and the cost to build it 14' tall vs 10' tall is only $1200, so it's pretty much a "no brainer" to build it tall enough to house the RV. It will pay for extra height in 2 winters. Even less if we pull the traiielr out to travel during the winter.

Scott, our local fairgrounds does the same thing, cost is $15 per foot for the season. All vehicles must be stored on a specific weekend and must be picked up on a specific weekend. There is no way to get it out at any other time (well I guess if you know the county commissioner, etc you could). It's a bit cheaper, but the RV is held "hostage" until the pickup weekend. They say, with no exceptions and there is no insurance provided. If anything happens, it's not covered except by your own policy.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Jim W

I must store my 5er in a storage lot since the Village will not allow any camper to be stored next to your house or in the driveway.
I looked around my area and the closer the storage lots are to my house the cost seems to go up. Most lots are charging between $25 and $30 a foot. I found one for $15 foot about 15 miles from my house so we store the unit there. This is a fenced in area with someone on duty during the day and a code to open the gate at night. This is an outside storage lot with no heat or electricity available and you cannot wash or dump there either.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
Htfiremedic

No offense, I am glad I live in the country in SC. Mine is parked next to the stick and brick. I shoreline as needed and can access in bad weather, etc.
plus - it doubles as a big house when I need to be out of sight after I mess up!
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htfiremedic View Post
No offense, I am glad I live in the country in SC. Mine is parked next to the stick and brick. I shoreline as needed and can access in bad weather, etc.
plus - it doubles as a big house when I need to be out of sight after I mess up!
I agree !!! We are the only "year rounders" on the lake we live on. Everyone else has camps, houses they use summers only. My DW wanted to "move back home" so we are here year round now. There's nobody except an elderly woman down the road, and it's country here for sure. The only reason we store away from home is to protect the trailer from the snowfalls we get every winter. I just don't want 4+ feet of snow on the roof. Once the pole barn is built, it'll stay home too.

One thing I've seen in our travels and it's apparent in this thread as well, is the higher the real estate, the more expensive the parking. Around Chicago,, it looks like it costs as much a month as we pay for the entire season. It might even be cheaper to park it in a campground and leave it hooked up rather than tow it to storage
Like you, I'm glad we're in the country LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
SAD
Permanent User Ban

It cost me about $80K to store mine.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
SAD
Permanent User Ban

BUT.... There's an pole-barn style place 8 miles from my home that costs $100/month. Each bay is separate from the rest and locked... About 14' wide and 45' deep... However, the door height is 12'2" ( ) There is a switched light inside each and a single outlet for keeping batteries topped off.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Scottinvt

Wow I never realized how expensive storage can be!! We store ours covered next to our garage also for free.
Scottinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
f6bits

SAD, I thought your shed ran you $50k.

My trailer is in a secure storage yard that runs $116 a month. If I pay for 6 months, I get one free month. It has no amenities other than a spot for washing.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
SAD, I thought your shed ran you $50k.

My trailer is in a secure storage yard that runs $116 a month. If I pay for 6 months, I get one free month. It has no amenities other than a spot for washing.
It did cost me $50k

The extra 2 acres was $29k lol!

I had 2 acres prior. Which was of course plenty... We just went to 4 at the same time... Shop ended up on the adjacent lot.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
chris199

We store ours in a gated, locked lot run managed by our RV dealer. Cost is $50/month. Unlimited access while the dealer is open. Love it. They can get it and put it back when I need service.

We paid for all of last year but I generally kept the unit in my driveway during the week all season. We camped every weekend except 3 last year with some 1 week long get aways and some long weekends. Didn't bother putting it in storage on Monday...then taking it out again on Thurs night. I don't think the neighbors liked seeing it....but there are no rules against it being in the driveway...can't park bit in the street though.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8er065 View Post
Do you store your travel trailer at a storage facility? If so how much is it and do they offer any amenities such as power or a camper wash area. I am just trying to gather some information.
yes. It's in our community RV lot for the HOA, private secluded entry on the cul-de-sac we live on, Not visible from any street, fenced, barbed wired, locked and monitored. 50 spots, Graveled area. No power etc. but the price, location and convience is great. Takes me less than a minute to walk to the trailer and the cost is $25/YEAR!!

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
g8er065

Thanks for the responses. The reason I am asking is I have noticed that there are not a lot of storage facilities dedicated to RV storage. In Charlotte and the surrounding areas there are many RV’s in storage and would think it would be profitable to have storage with power options and other RV friendly amenities such as a dump station and wash bays. I personally would pay a little more to store my Bullet it I had the option to keep power to it. I admit I am new to RV ownership but I would think this would be a great business. Am I missing something? What do you think?
g8er065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
mike&jenny

RV storage

A storage place near one of the campgrounds we go to has individual bays with power so you can leave the groceries in the fridge and it's ready to go the next time you camp. Not sure how much. I have my own storage that we had built two years ago. Here's a picture before the concrete and doors were complete. Now I have relatives constantly asking to store things in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	627.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	2290  
mike&jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #16
Brantlaker

I store my FW in Hardeeville ,SC for the winter.I bring it down at the end of October and stay a few days winterize it and come home they charge $75.00 per month and it is on a full hookup site so if the DW wants to go down for a week we fly down and rent a car as needed (have to love my South West Card). we are going down at the end of the month for a trip to FL. and then we will head North with it, we will call ahead to see if there is still snow on the ground and if there is we leave it in Roanoke Rapids, NC at a camp grounds right off I95 around the end of April I go and pick it up 1 day down 2 back home.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:08 AM   #17
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike&jenny View Post
... I have my own storage that we had built two years ago. Here's a picture before the concrete and doors were complete. Now I have relatives constantly asking to store things in it.
Would love to see more pics/specs... I'm always excited to see other people's projects.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #18
campingcpl

Ours is kept in a secured lot about a mile from our home and we pay $45.00 a month. We have 24 hour access and the lot is patrolled at night and has security cameras, we also have assigned parking spots. I would keep it at our home but our HOA doesn't allow us to keep trailers at our homes. We did have it at another storage lot that was only costing us $35.00 a month. The bad thing about that lot was it was on the other side of town and there was no assigned parking spots. So when we found a good spot to park the trailer and we would leave on a trip that spot usually wasn't there when we got back. The other thing was that one of the area's of the lot was gravel and there were these guys that had quads and they liked spinning their tires in the gravel area and was throwing gravel onto the trailers parked there. We talked to the owner about it and he got that stopped but still couldn't get him to assign parking spots. There had been a couple of times I had a hard time finding a spot to park the trailer in that lot.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #19
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htfiremedic View Post
I hear you on this one, only mine is in NC.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #20
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike&jenny View Post
A storage place near one of the campgrounds we go to has individual bays with power so you can leave the groceries in the fridge and it's ready to go the next time you camp. Not sure how much. I have my own storage that we had built two years ago. Here's a picture before the concrete and doors were complete. Now I have relatives constantly asking to store things in it.
Sweet!!!!!

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote