Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
jsmith948

Rubber Roof

Scrubbed, inspected and treated our Cougar's roof yesterday. There appears to be some wear to the roof membrane where the Weingard antenna rests on the roof during travel. The rubber "buttons" on the bottom of the ant. head are intact. The wear, after only 3600 mi ( plus transit from Oregon to So Cal), is a concern.
I am thinking of putting some Eterna-Bond tape, or even some Dicor on the roof where the ant. head rests to prevent further wear.
Has anyone encountered this issue? If so, how did you address it?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
SteveC7010

I had the '99 Sunline for 11 years. The antenna made marks on the roof but never wore through.

If you are concerned about it wearing through, I'd suggest a layer of the EternaBond tape would be as good as anything. Maybe even a double layer at the actual contact points.

You could use the self leveling Dicor caulk for the edges of the tape if you like, but if it was me, I would not blow a tube of that just on the antenna repair. If the other seams needed a fresh coat of the caulk, that would be the time to shoot a whole tube.

FWIW, Keystone uses EternaBond tape on the slides at the outer edge of the roof and sides with no caulk.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
jsmith948

Steve,
Thanks for the input. I guess what I have going on could be considered marks as opposed to actual wear. The white surface of the membrane is darker (not black yet) where the antenna rests. Yours was good for 11 yrs, so,I think I'll just monitor it and see if it wears any more.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote