Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
turner46

Rookie Question... Hitch or Box Liner first???

Hey all, first time fifth wheel owner and soon to be first time truck owner, Im wondering if it makes a difference if i get my fifth wheel hitch installed first or my spray in box liner?
Old 06-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
JBE-Dad

In my opinion you definitely want to get your spray liner done first.

2015 Sprinter 316BIK
2015 Ford F150
JBE-Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

When we bought out 2010 F150, I went first to the Line-x dealer and asked that question, then to the Curt Hitch installer and asked the same question. The Curt dealer said it didn't matter to him. The Line-x dealer said that he'd suggest doing the spray in liner first. When I asked, he said if I had the hitch installed, his first job would be to remove it and the bed rails so he could spray the truck properly...

Sooooooo, spray the bed, then go get the hitch installed. That way you only have one person messing with the bolts on your bed rails, the hitch guy.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE-Dad View Post
In my opinion you definitely want to get your spray liner done first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When we bought out 2010 F150, I went first to the Line-x dealer and asked that question, then to the Curt Hitch installer and asked the same question. The Curt dealer said it didn't matter to him. The Line-x dealer said that he'd suggest doing the spray in liner first. When I asked, he said if I had the hitch installed, his first job would be to remove it and the bed rails so he could spray the truck properly...

Sooooooo, spray the bed, then go get the hitch installed. That way you only have one person messing with the bolts on your bed rails, the hitch guy.....
^^^ I agree ^^^^
With spray I best to have the liner done first! It is just as solid as the bed it's self.
Drop in bed liners need to be cut around the rails according to the instructions for my Reese rails.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
turner46

The GM shop guy told me the hitch has to be installed first something about insurance here in Saskatchewan as I told him I wanted the liner done first.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
sagebel

I am not a fan of bare metal. Having the hitch installed first and then removing it to spray the bed will allow any edges of holes that were drilled to be sealed.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
j2m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner46 View Post
Hey all, first time fifth wheel owner and soon to be first time truck owner, Im wondering if it makes a difference if i get my fifth wheel hitch installed first or my spray in box liner?
Welcome to the forum. We bought our truck after we purchased the trailer & the first thing we did was get the Line-x spray in liner done. Then we got the 5th wheel hitch installed (this was back in Manitoba) and then we replaced the standard 30 gal diesel tank with a Titan 63 gal that fit in the same place as the old one. This was great as we didn't need to get another hole drilled for the filler hose. We drive a 2011 1 ton Chev dually 4 door long box 4x4. We wanted to be able to stop our 37.5ft 5er. Loved going through the BC Rockies, never knew the trailer was behind me. We now live on Vancouver Island (retired out here). Now we are just about to leave for the east coast on the trip of our life. Taking a friend with us as well so gonna be good times. Cheerio, Jeannine & Joe
j2m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner46 View Post
The GM shop guy told me the hitch has to be installed first something about insurance here in Saskatchewan as I told him I wanted the liner done first.
Based on this and your other statement, I would have the hitch installed by an RV shop not your GM dealer!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

hi spray the liner first and when you drill the holes for the hitch get some of the material and paint the holes before you put the bolts through.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
Jim W

I have the opposite thought. I would say to get the hitch installed first than remove the hitch and all of the hardware. I would then have the bed sprayed with the bed liner material.
I did it this way so all of the mounting holes were covered along with the surrounding area so there was no cutting or gouging of the liner material. I also used plated grade 8 bolts, nuts and spacers for the reinstall of the hitch torquing them to grade 8 bolt torques. This way too the warranty was not affected by drill holes in the bed liner material.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
hovanic

I had both done at the line-x dealer. I have the B&W Gooseneck and companion hitch. they cut all the holes and then sprayed the liner in and then installed the gooseneck and the trailer plug in the bed wall. All bare metal covered with liner and a nice clean install.
hovanic is offline   Reply With Quote