Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Outbackmel

Wrong place, but need quick electrical assist

Outback Mel is out here in AZ and plugged into RV park 50amp. All has been well UNTIL this evening when power went down. Tripped all switches and re booted 50 amp. After 3 minutes, went dead again.

Used "step down" plug on power cord to RV park power box taking available amps down to 30. Have limited power for the past hour. We need it for the furnace fan tonight, cold nights here. The High Point microwave (which we do not need to use tonight) does not even light up?? Looking for a "reset" of some sort. Manual is zero help.

Park will check 50 amp service tomorrow, so until we can figure out the issue, we are in conservative use mode.

I am thinking it is within our rv, not their box so I am trying to be proactive. Is there like a fuse someplace other than those in the breaker panel box that may have blown and is restricting electrical flow into the RV? I have no clue.

All advice appreciated....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Johnnyfry

50 amp service

Mel,

The 50 amp service is a 230/120 volt service ( like your house) vs a 120 volt service on the 30 amp. Possibly there is a lifted/loose neutral problem on the 50 amp side. This can raise havoc with the voltages inside the RV and possibly damage appliances in the rig. It could be a problem inside the pedestal or further down the line. Be sure that a competent electrician checks it out before reconnecting to the 50 amp plug.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Outbackmel

120V usage

So, I should be fine using the 30amp tonight for light use; way under 30 amp draw, correct?

The RV park has a technical group. They had just left for the night when we had this happen....Murphy's Law...you know!!

It's 70 here days and low 40's at night...thus my desire to run the heater. I shut the hot water heater off and will use propane if needed.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
f6bits

Did the microwave light up during those three minutes after you rebooted the 50 amp?

As I recall, that step down adaptor only feeds half of your 50 amp panel. I could be wrong. Is there anything else that’s not getting power?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
Outbackmel

OutbackMel Electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
Did the microwave light up during those three minutes after you rebooted the 50 amp?

As I recall, that step down adaptor only feeds half of your 50 amp panel. I could be wrong. Is there anything else that’s not getting power?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Not sure, but I do not believe so. BUT, I was bz switching back to 30amp and could very well have been on that when I figured it was not going to come on.
Everything else, including all outlets, work. I was focusing on the heat since the sun was dropping quickly
Old 02-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Ron

Mel: I had a converter go out on a brand new trailer after I got it home and it never tripped the breaker, just a thought I'm no electrician but you might want to try to shut off the breaker to the converter in case it is grounded out. Converters will try to reset every 2-3 minutes and that might be causing you the probelm, just my 2 cents worth. We are here in Yuma. yes its chilly at night......Happy Campin...........Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Outbackmel

Ron ??

How would one go about finding this "converter", like is it usually in a compartment or someplace? and would it be making some sort of noise when trying to reset? or "grounded" what's that mean? Not dangerous I hope??

I really do not want to be out there tonight rumagging around when I have no clue what in H*** I would be looking for, listening to/for, disconnecting?? ng ... as long as we are warm and in no danger, tomorrow will bring lots of options, check the box, find the converter, check whatever, maybe a fuse? Worst case sceneario, off to Camping World....UGH...hate that thought.

The good news: Mayo Clinic is right up the road.

Hay, have have humor through this.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Ron

Mel: The converter power supply is on a breaker in your panel, just shut that breaker off and see if that helps. My converter never made a noise when not working properly or even if is working properly, under load sometimes the cooling fan will come on when it gets warm. If that doesn't help yes probably better off to wait till to get someone to look at it. Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
chain_dogg

if you have a battery charger, you can plug that into your neighbors outside plug, hook it up to your battery,s, that will give you lights and heater. And leave all the breakers off till you can get a tech to look at it
chain_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Outbackmel

Got it Ron

Thanks. Electrician was here and the problem is NOT at the power box. So, tonight we will be on 30amp and be learning something new tomorrow relative to converter boxes and electrical systems. At least we have TV and heat

Since these RV's have no schematic with them, at least mine does not, I need to find this convertor box and see if there is some sort of fuse in there that is bad. I believe the issue is there as the panel where the breakers and 15amp fuses are seems to be fine. When the power dumped down when plugged into 50amp, nothing transpired inside on the breaker panel. HOWEVER, just as I would do at home, I tripped and reset all switches and reset the GFI in the bathroom. Everything works on 30 amp and NOTHING works when on 50 amp so, deduction leads me to that convertor.

If you, or anyone reading this has an idea where this may be located, would appreciate the tip.

Thanks again for all of the fast input and guidance. Have a good evening.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
f6bits

My converter is the lower half of my breaker panel box. The face of the breaker box unscrews and comes off and then you see the converter.

The converter is the “transformer” that reduces shore power to 12V for your 12V devices and battery charging. As another poster mentioned, it’s on its own breaker. Perhaps it’s time to shut off *all* breakers, then turn them on one at a time with 5 minutes between each one if the trip is time delayed.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

If your converter is not working, your furnace may not last the night. As mentioned above it works on 12v dc and will drain the battery very quickly. Do you have two A/Cs? Does one have a heat pump or heater strip? Many times the bedroom A/C is the only major draw on the second leg of the 50amp service. There is a time delay on a heat pump starting and that could be your culprit. Check thermostat to see if it is set for furnace only. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
Outbackmel

Converter working

Did you mean that when plugged in to 30 amp, the draw for running the furnace is coming "only" from the battery if the converter is not working? I am confused.

Everything else, except microwave is working fine.

I hope the heater fan does not quit. Would be darned cold at 4am!!

I have a lot to grasp tomorrow regarding this electrical system. One thing I am not, a good electrical person. Can screw in a bulb with help.

Ohhhh well .... hopefully no bad morning stories. I do have a portable electric heater so worse case, everything off, it draws 10 - 15 amps and runs off electric, so we can "huddle". Ohhh, hope NOT!
Old 02-16-2012, 04:26 AM   #14
mikell

30 amps should get you through with no problems I lived quite well on 30 amps for a couple of years. The adapter plug should power both sides of your panel so everything SHOULD be hot. Even if the converter wen out the microwave should work?? just not lights or fan on the furnace.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #15
SAABDOCTOR

HI IT IS MORNING AS I READ ALL OF THIS SO I HOPE YOU GOT THROUGH THE NIGHT OK! EVERYTHING WORKS BUT THE MICROWAVE YES?. UN PLUG THE MICRO VAVE AND PLUG A LAMP INTO THE OUTLET DO WE HAVE POWER IF YES THE MICRO IS DEAD! IF NOT GO BACK TO THE BREAKER BOX. ANY THING TRIPPED? IF YES TURN IT ON THEN TURN ON THE LAMP STAYS ON GOOD SHOOT THE MICROWAVE. 30 AMPS SHOULD HAVE BEEN OK I HAVE RUN ON 30 AMPS JUST NO A/C AND MICRO OR THE FANCY FIREPLACE AND A MICRO. SO IF THE BREAKER IS GOOD AND THERE IS NO POWER TO THE PLUG YOU MIGHT WANT THE ELECTRICAN TO LOOK AT YOUR UNIT. ALSO CHECK THE GROUND FAULT PLUGS ANY TRIPPED? IN MY CAMPER THER IS A GROUND FAULT OUTLET NEAR MY FRONT DOOR AND AALL THE KITCHEN PLUGS COME FROM IT. SO IF IT TRIPS THE KITCHEN LINE INCLUDING THE MICRO GOES OUT.ELECTRONICS DO WIERD STUFF BUT USUALY IF THE CONVERTER DIES IT IS DONEAND WILL JUST KEEP RESETTING ITSELF TILL YOU TURN IT OFF. JUST GO SLOW WRITE DOWN WHATT YOU DID SO YOU DON'T DO IT 3 OR 4 TIMES AND GET THE SAME RESULTS YEP IVE DONE IT! WHEN LOOKING FOR ELECTRICAL ISSUES START AT THE SUPPLY (FUSE BOX) THEN GO TO THE LAST LOAD ON THE CIRCUT. IF THERE IS NO POWER AT THEN END GO TO THE MIDDEL OF THE CIRCUT IF NOW POWER GO TO THE HALFWAY POINT. TILL YOU HAVE POWER THE YOU KNOWFROM THERE TO THE SOURE IS GOOD. BUT A SCHMATIC WOULD BE NICE... BUT BE LOGICAL HOW WOULDYOU STRING THE WIRES FROM POINT A TO B ETC. GOOD LUCK WITH THIS KEEP US POSTED AND AS WITH ANYTING HIGH VOLTAGE THROWING IN THE TOWEL AND NOT GETTING ELECTRICUTED IS ALWAYS THE HONARABLE YHING TO DO BARNEY
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #16
Outbackmel

Thanks for the info

Well, after spending the day chasing all over Mesa, AZ...tomorrow will look brighter.
Still no "fix" however, unit ran fine all night on 30amp. I think I may have a "cord" issue. early this morning, I found my cord pulled down 1 1/2 inches where it enters the box plug in. After conversation with CW Service Rep, they also believe that one elec leg inside the cord may be pulled and not making the right connection for 50amp. They also said that it is likey that the microwave is "likely" on that leg as well. I tried to find out where the micro was plugged in but no outlet could be found.

Tomorrow I will replace the cord head and start from there. If nothing, I will call an electrician familiar with RV's to trace where the power is failing from the 50 amp box all the way.

The "battery" was in excellent shape all night. CW does not think it's the converter.

Unfortunately they are backed up 2 1/2 weeks for any service appointments. So, I will have to go locally. The RV park as a few independents they have recommended.

Thanks again for the FAST. possible correction, comments.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #17
geo

Outbackmel -

At first it didn't occur to me, but it sounds like you might have the same problem experienced by Larryl and me. Except Larryl took some damage. See the recent post in "Repairs" and be careful! You don't want to fry the microwave and other things!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
Oscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
HOWEVER, just as I would do at home, I tripped and reset all switches and reset the GFI in the bathroom. Everything works on 30 amp and NOTHING works when on 50 amp so, deduction leads me to that convertor.

If you, or anyone reading this has an idea where this may be located, would appreciate the tip.

Thanks again for all of the fast input and guidance. Have a good evening.
Your deduction may be wrong. I believe the converter will be on line with 30A as well. In my camper it is part of the CB panel....all one unit. I think your problem lies elsewhere.

As you don't appear up on the subject I highly recommend you get a knowledgeable person with a multi meter out there.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #19
LarryL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
read this about the power cord
I just got back from 9 days camping at Pismo Beach got there on super bowl Sunday about 3:30pm, getting RV set up put slides out hooked water and tv then plugged in the 50amp electrical went inside turned the tv on, game just getting started.
We have a small wine cooler I plugged it in gfi breaker popped in bathroom
unplugged cooler, tv went off reset breaker turned tv back on plugged cooler into another receptacle flash from inside cooler breaker popped again unplugged cooler ok something is wrong with cooler, reset breaker I then put the breaker on for electric water heater when I did that, I heard a sizzle sound from the basement turned that breaker off , opened the door where my sears 19.2 battery charger was plugged in charging a battery, charger and battery were melted, unplugged 50 amp from campground listed to
game on the radio.
Monday morning got campground to check shore power it was ok they plugged it back in checked outlets in side trailer no neutral, we unplugged shore power I called a rv service that comes out to the campground could not get there until Tuesday morning so we had no power for one more day .
I wanted to make sure I plugged the cable into the trailer the right way so I unplugged it from the trailer and started to plug it back in when the cable fell out of the plug,
with the neutral coming loose in the plug I had 240 volts going through my trailer it took out the microwave oven the electric side of the refrigerator the wine cooler.
I am lucky that was all, I wanted to buy a surge protector did not know which to buy the one you put on the shore power or the one you put in the trailer I think the one you put in the trailer is the one I will buy the one you put on the shore powerwould not have stopped this problem check your cable at the plug into the rv end.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #20
geo

LarryL -

I just got (from Dyer's yesterday) a Surge Guard 40250 surge protector, automatic transfer switch combo to replace my recalled Iota ATS. Hope to install it this weekend. When I do, I'll post in Mods.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote