Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
reubenray

Cougar HC and 5th wheel hitch

My truck has a 6' 6" bed. I was under the impression that I would be able to use a regular hitch instead of a sliding hitch being these models have the "Max Turn Technology front cap".

Will I need a sliding hitch or not? I need to be able to remove the hitch when not in use. The only automatic sliding hitch I found is the Pullrite and it looks like it would be to big for me to remove.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
SteveC7010

The Max Turn caps only reduce the chance of nicking a corner of the trailer on the cab **IF** there is sufficient clearance (more than approx 50") from the pin to the cab of the truck to allow such a tight turn.

If the distance from the center of the pin to the cab of the truck is less than about 50", it is physically impossible to accomplish a full 90 degree jack knife of the truck and trailer. The sliding hitch systems increase the distance from the pin to the cab to allow these tighter turns.

So the answer is that you will need a slider in all likelihood. You may want to check the PullRite closely to see if it comes apart into pieces that would be easy to manage. My non-slider is two pieces held together with a couple of pins. Each piece is very easy to lift and carry.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
Old 01-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
Ayotte

I have a Dodge quad cab with a short box and a non sliding fifth wheel hitch. We have a 2012 Cougar xlite 26sab and have not found any problem with getting into or out of campsites. If you are really going to cramp the trailer off -you will have to watch but normal use there is lots of clearance.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
msp2jxr

Here is more food for thought. Remember if you are not on a level surface, and many times you are not, the trailer corner will be tipped into the cab in the as the turn continues. You may have four inches of clearance at the bottom of the corner and none near the top. I would rather spend the money up front and have the option of sliding back with a slider hitch for increased clearance (also more room between the top of the pickup bed and bottom of trailer) then no option and a blown back window.
Twice I have dinged the corner of the trailer on uneven surfaces. Once while backing and another time when I was making a right turn in a campground with two roads which met unevenly causing the corner of the bed to hit the bottom of the trailer. If I had slid the hitch back earlier it would not have happened... lesson learned. I have had to use my slider in a couple of other occasions at campgrounds, gas stations and once I was blocked in at a Walmart. Get the Big Picture before you purchase. I don't regret getting the slider. Money well spent.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
Old 01-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
reubenray

Automatic vx Manual Slider

How big of a deal is it to get the automatic slider? Apparently Pullrite is the only one out there. Reese, Curt + Others have manual sliders. These appear to be easier to remove than the Pullrite model.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
66ken

I have a pullrite and it takes two people to remove it, that's after it is disassembled. But I still think it is the best hitch, because you don't have to worry when backing into a tight spot.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
My truck has a 6' 6" bed. I was under the impression that I would be able to use a regular hitch instead of a sliding hitch being these models have the "Max Turn Technology front cap".

Will I need a sliding hitch or not? I need to be able to remove the hitch when not in use. The only automatic sliding hitch I found is the Pullrite and it looks like it would be to big for me to remove.
I am using a manual Reese 16K slider hitch in a 2500HD 2008,Ram Mega Cab. This has a 6".5" bed and I have never hit the cab when towing in the city or on highways in the towed position. The only time I need to use the maneuver position is backing up into my drive way or in campgrounds.

The Pullrite is nice but is not required, you can get by with a manual slider hitch.

I take my hitch in and out all of the time takes about 15 min's total time to do. I take it out in two pieces the capture plate comes out first and then the slider portion and bed saver next a total of 6 pins to remove, the bed rails stay in.

Jim W.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
rjsurfer

I'd get a manual slider if I were you, you never know what position you may find yourself.

As a matter of course I put the slider back after I register at the camp ground office. It takes 60 seconds at the most to do it.

Something others have not mentioned is the fact that when you put your slider back toward the rear bumper it makes maneuvering easier, the camper reacts much more quickly to steering input.

Ron W.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
phillyg

Talking

I have the Pullrite Superglide 12k slider. No way you can remove it yourself w/o mechanical assist unless your first name is Arnold. I set up a 1t chain hoist between two trees and back the truck under it. I can install/uninstall it myself in about 15 minutes, and I have a seriously torn rotator cuff presently. The SG works great; only problem is it's very expensive but well worth the money to me.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #10
MILBY

Had a short bed dodge for years without a slider, no problems. It's your choice.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
reubenray

We signed the papers on a Cougar HC 291RLS today and a Husky fifth wheel fixed hitch is part of the deal. This dealer has sold several of these models to owner's with short beds (6' 6") and there has not been any issues with the fixed hitch.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

Poster's Question Answered

It seems that the poster's question has been fully discussed and he now has a new 5th with an appropriate hitch. Thanks to everyone for their input. Hope it helped with the selection of the hitch.
The post will now be closed.
Closed Thread