Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2021, 06:11 AM   #1
TheBigPig

Drain Fresh Water Tank?

Just took the camper out on the maiden voyage last weekend. Some learning experiences, but all in all very good. I did not have a water hookup so I filled the fresh water tank. We did not use up all the water in the tank and my next trip is a month away. I guess I have a few options:

- Drain fresh water tank and refill before next trip
- Leave tank 1/3-1/2 full and top off before next trip.
- Top off now and leave full until next trip.

Please let me know what the preferred method is here. If I do drain it now, do I leave the plug out to allow air to somewhat get into the tank, or do I drain and then put the plug back in?

Just FYI, I did sanitize the tank prior to filling it up for the trip I took last week.
TheBigPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:33 AM   #2
Canonman

If you filled your FW tank with clean, treated, culinary water say from your house supply you should be OK leaving the water in the tank for a couple of weeks. I do drain the FW if not planning to use the TT for several weeks and replace with fresh just before leaving.
I am in the camp that does not travel with a full FW tank. 10 to 15 gallons is enough for us even if we wind up dry camping overnight. We fill the tank when we get to our destination or close to it if we're dry camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0689 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	33008  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:45 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

I typically keep <10 gal in the tank for potty stops only. A few cg we visit have electric only with a couple FW fill stations. I always use the water filter used for city water to fill the FW tank. If we're going camping in 2 to 3 weeks I leave it as is. If it's going to be longer than I'll drain the FW tank AND thye water heater, especially if the weather is going to be hot. Do not leave th drain open as it leaves an open door to small things like ants andd other insects.. The tank has a vent that should have a screen on it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:47 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I typically keep <10 gal in the tank for potty stops only. A few cg we visit have electric only with a couple FW fill stations. I always use the water filter used for city water to fill the FW tank. If we're going camping in 2 to 3 weeks I leave it as is. If it's going to be longer than I'll drain the FW tank AND thye water heater, especially if the weather is going to be hot. Do not leave th drain open as it leaves an open door to small things like ants andd other insects.. The tank has a vent that should have a screen on it.
I was thinking about that today..if you use a water filter that removes chlorine to fill the fresh water tank,what is the “shelf life” of low chlorinated water in a tank before things start growing? I don’t drink the water from my tank but do not want to get any odors forming...probably little if any chance of a problem but just thinking out loud
Old 04-15-2021, 09:01 AM   #5
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
If you filled your FW tank with clean, treated, culinary water say from your house supply you should be OK leaving the water in the tank for a couple of weeks. I do drain the FW if not planning to use the TT for several weeks and replace with fresh just before leaving.
I am in the camp that does not travel with a full FW tank. 10 to 15 gallons is enough for us even if we wind up dry camping overnight. We fill the tank when we get to our destination or close to it if we're dry camping.

3 years ago, I filled the FW tank from a well source at a private campground. We left the trailer parked at the private campground for a month. Upon return, the contents of the freshwater tank had "soured" due to lack of chlorination. The quote above is good advice!!!
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:49 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Take an old quart mayonnaise jar, fill it with water from the hose you use to fill your trailer FW tank... Screw the cap on that mayonnaise jar, punch one hole in the cap with a nail and set the jar on the shelf next to the oil and paint cans in your garage. Leave it for a couple of weeks and then take a good look at the water in the sunlight.... If it's green, chances are very good that water from that same source would be the same if it was stored in your travel trailer "mayonnaise jar"....

On the other hand, if the water looks like it did when you first started, you probably won't have issues with your RV tank.....

IMHO, RV fresh water tanks are 'petri dishes" just waiting for an opportunity.... I sanitize our RV plumbing system every spring. During storage or between uses, I keep my FW tank empty and fill it with "fresh" water from the house system the day before we leave for an extended trip. As a "general rule" I won't risk filling the tank with a "public hose" at a gas station or even at the "potable water faucet" just past the dump station.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:58 AM   #7
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Take an old quart mayonnaise jar, fill it with water from the hose you use to fill your trailer FW tank... Screw the cap on that mayonnaise jar, punch one hole in the cap with a nail and set the jar on the shelf next to the oil and paint cans in your garage. Leave it for a couple of weeks and then take a good look at the water in the sunlight.... If it's green, chances are very good that water from that same source would be the same if it was stored in your travel trailer "mayonnaise jar"....

On the other hand, if the water looks like it did when you first started, you probably won't have issues with your RV tank.....

IMHO, RV fresh water tanks are 'petri dishes" just waiting for an opportunity.... I sanitize our RV plumbing system every spring. During storage or between uses, I keep my FW tank empty and fill it with "fresh" water from the house system the day before we leave for an extended trip. As a "general rule" I won't risk filling the tank with a "public hose" at a gas station or even at the "potable water faucet" just past the dump station.....

As my mother would often say, "A word to the wise is sufficient". Then there is the rest of us who have to learn it on our own. Thanks for your wise input!
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:05 AM   #8
TheBigPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Well, I think given the information above, I'll be draining my tank between trips. Thank you for the advice, no mayo jar needed
TheBigPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:20 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

I'll just add that a lot of folks, even experienced campers misteak the "sulfer smelling water" as an issue with the fresh water tank. That smell is typically from the stagnet water in the water heater dissolving the anode rod and gassing out sulfer. This not to say that the tank doesn't get nasty over time. Municipal water systems have to have their storage tanks clean periodically as well.

All non-distilled water has some microbs and bacteria living in it. It's a matter of what TYPE it is. And yes, themoment you open a bottle of distilled water in a non steril environment it will have living things in it as well. To me, the little bit of time and effort to drain and refill as needed far outweigh the possabilities 9f you don't.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:58 AM   #10
dutchmensport

I travel with just enough water in the fresh tank to flush the toilet a few times while in transit. Unless we are actually using the camper, I empty the fresh water tank, if that be for 1 day or 1 month. I also drain the water heater if the camper is not being used or when traveling also.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:44 PM   #11
madisonjon

Drain and refill.

After we exit the dump station I will open up the water valve and let it start draining so when I get home it’s empty. Granted, most of my trips are within an hour or two. Longer trips I’ll leave it so I can use the bathroom and dump when I get home.
madisonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:37 AM   #12
Javi

We camp every couple of weekends year-a-round and except for freezing weather my FW tank has 15 to 20 gallons in it at all times. I'll usually open the drain once I'm hooked up at the campsite and before leaving I will close the drain and add about 20 gallons. This way if we need to flush or was our hands we have water..

We don't use the FW tank for drinking or cooking and always flush the lines for a few minutes after hooking up at a campsite... Never gotten sick but I did grow up drinking out of garden hoses and stock tanks..
Old 04-16-2021, 04:40 AM   #13
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonjon View Post
Drain and refill.

After we exit the dump station I will open up the water valve and let it start draining so when I get home it’s empty.
^ That is usually what I do as well. I tend not to drain the hot water tank most of the time...depends on the amount of time between outings.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:10 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

If you drain the tank, put the plug back in/close the drain. Small insects can be very curious where the water source is.

I’ve seen enough units come from the factory with the drain open. I start filling with it out and have been unpleasantly suprised.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:37 AM   #15
scottz

I sanitize at the beginning of the season (or additional times if I think it necessary), drain between trips, fill with fresh before each trip, always travel with a full tank (we boondock a lot). Water heater does not get drained until I winterize.

We use bottled water for drinking and cooking. 40+ years RVing; no issues.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:17 AM   #16
goldtrigger

Smile Water in the Fresh Water Tank

Being in Texas, I drain all tanks and flush black tanks and grey tanks every time we come in. When we prepare to leave for our next trip, I repeat the process, flush all tanks again, put filtered water in the fresh water tank (10-20 gal) and a small amount in the black tank. I also fill the water heater after I flush it out and reseat the anode rod. Water left in tanks in our heat will stagnate in 10-15 days.
I have been doing this for 10 years and have had no odors or bad water from the fresh tank or bad odor from the black or grey tanks.
goldtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:26 AM   #17
BulletOwner1

If you drain the fresh water tank drain the hot water tank also. If it sits for a long time the water can smell very much like sulfur.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:08 PM   #18
apachewolf

CAMCO markets a product that they claim will keep your drinking water fresh tasting and odor free. It should eliminate algae and slime. It is reasonable priced at $ 5.00 for bottle. Don"t know how long it works but apparently campers have gone through a season without emptying their fresh water tank.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:24 PM   #19
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachewolf View Post
CAMCO markets a product that they claim will keep your drinking water fresh tasting and odor free. It should eliminate algae and slime. It is reasonable priced at $ 5.00 for bottle. Don"t know how long it works but apparently campers have gone through a season without emptying their fresh water tank.
I put ~15 - 20 gallons in the FW tank for better balance and potty breaks etc.
Even though we don't drink it the idea of putting some unknown chemical in and keeping it for a season kinda creeps me out.

We travel as I said with water in the tank. When we stay for a few days I drain, flush and refill.
Small effort for peace of mind.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:59 PM   #20
apachewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
I put ~15 - 20 gallons in the FW tank for better balance and potty breaks etc.
Even though we don't drink it the idea of putting some unknown chemical in and keeping it for a season kinda creeps me out.

We travel as I said with water in the tank. When we stay for a few days I drain, flush and refill.
Small effort for peace of mind.
I hear you and I understand you. I always bring a jug of water to drink. We have a 5 gal jug and the water in the tank is for "bathroom use". In our lifetime water will be a commodity with a price higher than oil or perhaps gold. Why? Because there won't be any left to waste. The western half of this country is in a SEVERE drought and the water supply is dwindling, we are close to rationing in the western US. So preserve where it is possible. And with regards to the "unknown chemical" pursuant to law it is printed on the label. And if you are not drinking it so much less to worry about. Yes I know that there have been several cases of flooding in the central and eastern states but that does not rectify the shortage of drinking water. And the flood water just flows out to sea and is not really useable to anyone. It is un fortunately a fact of life. On the other hand I don’t think this chemical you add to your fresh water tank that you claim NOT to drink is any worse than the chemicals added to some food products we eat.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, fresh water tank, tank, water