Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2021, 03:32 PM   #1
mch5jdm

Lurking...

So I’ve been lurking for a bit because I may jump ship from FR to Keystone. I really like the Cougar Half Ton line.

What do Cougar Half Ton members think both good and bad on their rig.
mch5jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:58 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mch5jdm View Post
So I’ve been lurking for a bit because I may jump ship from FR to Keystone. I really like the Cougar Half Ton line.

As long as you realize that whether Keystone or FR in most cases that name "Half ton" doesn't necessarily mean it's within the weight limits of a 1/2 ton truck. Mostly a gimmicky name that gets lots of folks in over their heads weight wise with too much rv, not enough truck. Same as Polar, Artic or 4 Season RVs, just a gimmick to sell RVs.
Post the yellow/white tag from the drivers door of YOUR truck, not max tow rating the manufacturer brags about & the GVWR, not rv dry weights, of whatever rv you're considering so that accurate numbers can be calculated.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:09 PM   #3
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by mch5jdm View Post

I have the 2020 keystone cougar half ton 29 rks 5th wheel. Purchased in September last year was able to use it 4 times before winter set in. To date no issues other then a few small things. Adjust entrance door and a cabinet door. Loving it and pulls great. But as you can see from our signature we pull,with an F250.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:12 PM   #4
markcee

Disclaimer - this is our first travel trailer.

Bought ours new in Dec 2019. Overall, we have had a lot of minor annoyances and a couple not so minor.

- 2 blowouts, same tire, on first long range journey. It was determined that both axles were defective, causing the issue. Replaced under warranty by Keystone within days of occurrence. We have a few thousand miles since with no further problems. Damage to skirting from blowouts was also covered under warranty.

- Control board for awning failed. Currently in shop for warranty replacement. Awning fabric also pulling away from roller. This is also being corrected under warranty.

- Darco wear under sofa slide. This was recently noticed and is currently under review in the shop (while above work is being performed) to determine if it can still be covered under my now expired mfg. warranty. (I believe this is a known issue with FR trailers as wel).

- Entry door keeps popping open - can happen under transit and even when stationary. Received several tips on corrections to this from this forum. Will try to remedy myself when I get it back from Camping World.

- Replaced leaky propane regulator after 6 months.

- Replaced faulty water heater pressure relief valve after 6 months

This sounds like a negative review but to be honest, I actually really like the trailer. I think many of these issues are the primary reasons many say to buy a 1-2 year old trailer as all these bugs have been ironed out and the issues repaired. Even in my short time RV'ing, I think I'm convinced you won't find any coach without build issues.

What we like in our trailer:

-King-sized bed. Believe this is standard in the Cougar 1/2 ton family

-Ground Control TT. Love the one-touch auto level. Zero issues with this so far.

-Opposing slides. Lots of space for me, the wife and our two small dogs.

-Room to 'entertain'. Our floor plan was maybe the only 30ish' TT we found with both a sofa and two recliners.

-It looks nicely appointed for a mid-priced coach. We looked at some comparable Jayco's when we bought and they didn't impress us as much.

Finally, definitely agree with the other comments about tow vehicle. These are big, heavy trailers. I was ignorant and fell for the hype and bought an F150 max tow for this trailer. Both the RV and Ford dealer said ' that's plenty of truck'. It wasn't a bad tow for short runs, and I was able to just barely keep it within the truck's ratings, but as we got closer to our first trip cross country, the wife and I chickened out and bought the 1-ton. Tow difference is night and day.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:27 PM   #5
LHaven

We got suckered by the "half-ton" name, ended up having to upgrade to an F-250.

We love the floorplan, esp. the recliners and the king bed, neither of which we had in our previous rig.

I love the inCommand (some people hate it, not me) and the power awning.

We love, love, love, the hydraulic leveling system.

Unfortunately, my trailer has been to the service department way too many times for factory defects:
  • Three times for inop furnace (first time was known recall on Dometic HVAC gateway, other two were sail switch fouled by factory sawdust and styro debris.)
  • Four times to three different shops for inadequate braking on the F-250 (turned out to be grease on the trailer brakes, or so we are told).
  • Bolts cross-threaded on spare tire hanger, required replacement of entire hanger assy. and wheel.
  • Rear door filon pulling out of frame, required whole door replacement.
  • Odd bulge/wrinkle on the slide siding since day one; Keystone claims it is accidental damage and would not repair, despite both we and dealer refuting it.
Badly designed water routing caused toilet flush to fail after every leg of a trip. Same defect also affected flow on sink cold water faucets. Turned out to be anode sediment migrating from the water heater into the cold(!) line. I may or may not have fully remedied this yet (I have a check valve in reserve just in case). Had to solve this problem without dealer because it didn't happen until we hit the road, as it is caused by travel motion.

We were appalled that the factory closed off 1/3 of the pantry just to run a few wires through the space. I re-opened it, re-routed the wires properly around the surfaces (plenty of slack) and built a small false wall insert to shield the rear of the TV-area wallplates, increased pantry by 50%. (DW put her foot down, you don't stint her pantry, she's a hardcore prepper.)

The storage box under the foot of the bed bordered on flimsy until some L-brackets were added to the frame.

The tires, as on most RVs, are low-cost China Bombs as shipped and should be swapped out before aging much.

We didn't get the fireplace we expected; instead, we got the swing-down rear stairs which we were going to add on anyway. Unfortunately, it's harder to add the fireplace later than the stairs.

We've taken two cross-continent journeys with it, plus a couple shorter local jaunts (nothing last year due to lockdowns), and we really enjoy traveling with it and living in it. But I will have to say that our last trailer was more or less "everything just works" for 20 years, and compared to it, waiting for the Cougar to develop its next issue occasionally has us walking on eggshells.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:27 AM   #6
mch5jdm

Thanks to all for the reviews of their trailer. Sounds like typical issues that can happen with any rig. My issue is that my local dealer is FR and the closest Keystone dealer is much farther away.

One of the conveniences that I like is the auto level. Maybe I’ll wait a year or so and see what the industry brings.

Thanks again!
Old 02-25-2021, 04:10 AM   #7
Northofu1

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I have an x-lite, same thing, doesn't sound as nice as Half - ton.
I had a bullet premier which was ok, a few elements made me want to trade up.
I'm not saying the Cougar is amazing, but my model and particular trailer is all the things I wanted that the bullet didn't have. Auto level is a wonderful thing.
I feel that if you buy new it's nice to have a dealership that will take care of you, if you buy used, you're pretty much on your own. That's how I looked at it and now have my own set of priorities in regards to upgrades, maintenance, and repairs.
Like anything, you usually get out of it what you put into it.
Good luck to you.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:47 AM   #8
spicercars

We went from keystone to forest river back to Keystone. Bought a new Keystone in 13 and sold it in 2019. Was a very good rv with very little problems. Bought a new forest river in the fall of 2019 and sold it the fall of 2020. It was the worst rv I have ever owned. I was always fixing something. Nothing really major just a lot of little things. Not as well built as the Keystone in my opinion. Then back to a Keystone where we are super happy at this time. We have had Keystone products before our 2013 and have always been very happy with them.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:43 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

I do not own a FR product nor a Cougar 1/2 ton. I have owned a Cougar High Country and I have to say that the fit finish and just overall "trailer" were much nicer than any FR product anywhere close to that price range. The neighbor sitting next to us has a Cougar 1/2 ton and he says he really likes it.

Prior to buying my previous Cougar I looked long and hard at FR products but in the end there were just too many visible quality issues that I had to pass. Another thing, and it's this way to this day I suppose (at least when I walked through some nice 5th wheels last fall).....just look at stuff and ask yourself "why did they do that", "how am I ever going to use that"? Particularly 5th wheels and cabinets stuck to the ceiling???

I am not anti FR but....when little brother asked about RV recommendations I advised Keystone and gave my thoughts on the FR line. He went and purchased a FR 5th wheel because the dealer was close. Bought a new King Ranch diesel to pull it. Made one trip to meet me in FL. Kept it almost a year then called me one day and said he got mad and just sold the trailer and truck because the trailer had lived in the shop for 8 of the months he owned it - he was done with RVing. As a follow up; that was about 2 1/2 years ago. He keeps track of us as we travel around in our RV and last weekend he called asking how things were going. We visited and I told him all the fun we had. He said he was going to get another RV because it was a lot of fun but just didn't want the headaches. I asked "are you going to get another FR"? I won't print his exact response as it wouldn't be nice; suffice it to say he's going to look at Keystone.

This is not to bash FR. I am sure they make some good products and some folks love them. I'm just relaying my personal experiences with them AND don't want you to get something that makes you throw up your hands and get out of RVing....although that can happen with any brand and has with some buyers of Keystone products so it's really kind of a crap shoot.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #10
ewbldavis

The Rockwood's are nice, but otherwise we just didn't care for the FR products.

We love our Cougar HT. Agree that "Half-Ton" is a gimmick. I have a 2500HD.

Fit and finish is great overall. Minor tidbits like anything "new", but we are quite pleased with overall quality. I feel like the Cougar gives you a good "bang for the buck". We have Auto-Level, In-Command, and what seems to be alot of the features offered in the Montana for a much lower price-point.

We season camp - so we used our rig EVERY weekend last year from May to October, and towed it twice on local trips. I don't regret the purchase and we are very pleased.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:40 AM   #11
mch5jdm

I do like the creature comforts the Cougar HT comes standard with. Pretty impressive.

I’ll say this. The folks on both forums (I’m on both too) are the best part of owning an RV.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:42 PM   #12
KimNTerry

Trailer in signature is heading into our 6th season. No issues to speak of really.
Upgrades, Modifications and repairs

On Purchase - Dealer installed 2 6 volt batteries as we intended dry camping from the start.

Season 1 (2015) - Before our first trip we bought a New Mattress.
Added Maxx Fan vent covers over fore and aft vents.
Added Fantastic fan in bedroom vent.
some time back at the dealer for minor warranty repairs I can't even remember what the repairs were.

Season 2 (2016) - Added Xantrex 1800 watt Inverter Charger.

Season 3 (2017) - JUST MAINTENANCE AND ENJOYING IT.

Season 4 (2018) - Replaced original batteries since I did not remove them as part of winterization (First winter in Colorado and first time I winterized). The batteries died, froze and split the case so I had to replace. I Replaced with 4 Sam's club Duracell batteries and added a true battery disconnect. Now we can go our typical weekend with out recharging (I still bring a generator just in case).

Season 4 (2019) Struggled with refrigerator performance on propane It kept shutting down ion us. After thorough cleaning and much trouble shooting I finally replaced the circuit board and problems solved.

Replaced the OEM Trailer King tires. We never had an issue with them but it was time. Replaced with Provider E rated tires from Discount tire.

Season 5 (2020)
Replaced thin OEM shackles with heavy duty mor-ryde shackles, bronze bushings and wet bolts. I was beginning to see the elongated holes and the replacement/upgrade was preemptive. During Install noticed that the original plastic bushings were shot and it was definitely time.

Replaced the OEM water pump. The pressure switch went bad and it kept cycling. Replaced with a quieter 4 stage pump (RecPro?) and added a pre-filter. While in there I added an accumulator and applied a bunch of silencing techniques and now it is very quiet. I fixed the OEM pump and now have a backup/transfer pump to add water from a jug or bladder for extended dry camping situations,

Over the years we have had our share of minor irritants and issues but for the most part it has held up well. We are still pleased with our purchase and continue to enjoy it.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:53 AM   #13
RVGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNTerry View Post
Trailer in signature is heading into our 6th season. No issues to speak of really.

On Purchase - Dealer installed 2 6 volt batteries as we intended dry camping from the start.

some time back at the dealer for minor warranty repairs I can't even remember what the repairs were.

Season 4 (2018) - Replaced original batteries since I did not remove them as part of winterization (First winter in Colorado and first time I winterized). The batteries died, froze and split the case so I had to replace. I Replaced with 4 Sam's club Duracell batteries and added a true battery disconnect. Now we can go our typical weekend with out recharging (I still bring a generator just in case).

Season 4 (2019) Struggled with refrigerator performance on propane It kept shutting down ion us. After thorough cleaning and much trouble shooting I finally replaced the circuit board and problems solved.

Replaced the OEM Trailer King tires. We never had an issue with them but it was time. Replaced with Provider E rated tires from Discount tire.

Season 5 (2020)
Replaced thin OEM shackles with heavy duty mor-ryde shackles, bronze bushings and wet bolts. I was beginning to see the elongated holes and the replacement/upgrade was preemptive. During Install noticed that the original plastic bushings were shot and it was definitely time.

Replaced the OEM water pump. The pressure switch went bad and it kept cycling. Replaced with a quieter 4 stage pump (RecPro?) and added a pre-filter. While in there I added an accumulator and applied a bunch of silencing techniques and now it is very quiet. I fixed the OEM pump and now have a backup/transfer pump to add water from a jug or bladder for extended dry camping situations,

Over the years we have had our share of minor irritants and issues but for the most part it has held up well. We are still pleased with our purchase and continue to enjoy it.

Good comprehensive post.
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:58 AM   #14
mch5jdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNTerry View Post

Season 5 (2020)

Thanks. Do you see yourself making season 7,8,9? Or trade up?