Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2021, 04:45 PM   #21
gearhead

Danny I never saw a college course named Common Sense 101.
They're killing us.
Moms and Dads are failing us.

My 20K Generac has been good to me for 10 years. Replaced a board early on under warranty. A new battery about 4 years ago. Rotella T6 15W-40 every spring and fall.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:26 AM   #22
notanlines

From the posts I'm guessing no Texans are planning on having Senator Cruz over for BBQ anytime soon? The whole system is a gaggle**** for sure.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:31 AM   #23
jasin1

My thoughts and prayers are with you folks from Texas ...hang tight and you will get through this .. I think it’s a big wake up call to everyone around the nation.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:08 AM   #24
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
From the posts I'm guessing no Texans are planning on having Senator Cruz over for BBQ anytime soon? The whole system is a gaggle**** for sure.
I would invite Cruz over Cornyn. I think Cruz got the religion. Positioning for another run at the White House.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:29 AM   #25
jasin1

Just saw one of your mayors is quiting his mayoral job because he said people were lazy in regards to the power outages
Old 02-17-2021, 09:33 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Just saw one of your mayors is quiting his mayoral job because he said people were lazy in regards to the power outages
Colorado City. His comments were pretty stupid IMO but he did voice some truths; albeit in a very rude and coarse way. Of course once his commentary went national I have no doubt he was raked over many beds of coals....all for a position that pays nothing.... I would have quit too.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:03 PM   #27
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Yeah he was speaking Texas truth. Get up off your butt and take care of your family instead of begging for help.
It ain't good. Kinda the Darwin awards. Bring a BBQ grill in your house. The worst was recent immigrants from Egypt, I think. Grandmother and grand kids. Carbon monoxide poisoning. I'm not blaming them, they are likely ignorant of monoxide.
I hold the dang politicians 100% responsible. No requirements for freeze protecting gen plants. No audits, no nothing.
Hopefully it gets better after Friday.
Hopefully we all learned something.
SIL has a BS in Power Distribution. Says the power generators didn't spend the money on freeze protection. Put it in their pockets instead.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:19 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Yeah he was speaking Texas truth. Get up off your butt and take care of your family instead of begging for help.
It ain't good. Kinda the Darwin awards. Bring a BBQ grill in your house. The worst was recent immigrants from Egypt, I think. Grandmother and grand kids. Carbon monoxide poisoning. I'm not blaming them, they are likely ignorant of monoxide.
I hold the dang politicians 100% responsible. No requirements for freeze protecting gen plants. No audits, no nothing.
SIL has a BS in Power Distribution. Says the power generators didn't spend the money on freeze protection. Put it in their pockets instead.
That's very much like the "Levy Board" in New Orleans. For years and years, before Katrina, they inspected the levy system around New Orleans "from their desks" and pocketed the money that would have been used to make repairs of "identified problems"... Since they weren't identifying problems, there was "excess money to allocate to other projects" (like spreading gravel on their road leading to their house), and on other projects that really didn't help the tax payers. Then, Katrina hit, the levy system failed and all of a sudden, everyone was asking, "Why" ....

Now, history repeats itself, this time with wind turbines and solar farms.

Hopefully, Mother Nature will "wake up Washington" !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:14 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Brent I have sent emails to my senator, representative, PUC and Gov. Abbott regarding this boondoggle. ERCOT was the cause of this and it was compounded greatly by our pursuit of unworkable "green" sources of power. ERCOT basically runs the power grid and distribution for the state; the PUC has oversight and the PUC is responsible to the state government - all their hands are dirty and I've certainly told them HOW dirty. All Texans should do the same IMO - I don't want a repeat of this and it was 100% predictable and preventable. As was mentioned, ERCOT and the PUC need to get off their dead ends and do what they are paid to do. You mentioned no inspections, no oversight - yep, that's the way it is now; paid to do it but the money gets siphoned away. Back in the day the PUC had dedicated teams to check an audit all utilities under their purview, now they just collect paychecks - that must end.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:33 PM   #30
gearhead

Yes it is 100% preventable. Heads should roll.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:04 AM   #31
notanlines

No, I guess y'all won't be having Senator Cruz over for BBQ. He and his family just flew to Cancun. Always fun to make fun of politicians...If it wasn't them who could we pick on?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:45 AM   #32
jasin1

Quote:
No, I guess y'all won't be having Senator Cruz over for BBQ. He and his family just flew to Cancun. Always fun to make fun of politicians...If it wasn't them who could we pick on?
I heard he had the pilot do a flyover of the affected area and give a little wing dip wave as a sign of solidarity as he beelined it for the Yucatán peninsula...sound of mariachi music fadin away

Yes ...humor is good for the soul
Old 02-18-2021, 09:15 AM   #33
Halcyon

Read the facts!

Since wind generators only comprise 12% of the total capacity of Texas’ generation capacity, the problem with lack of electricity generation is due to the WEATHER! The pipes at all of the fuel generated plants are freezing, and the fuels, natural gas, oil and even nuclear, are not getting to the generators. Wind turbines work in the Antarctic, but the cold is constantly below freezing, therefore no ice forms. This cold front is unprecedented and the “independent” (read for profit) Texas generation system was not set up for this type of weather. The companies were warned 10 years ago that they were not prepared. So put the blame where it belongs.
In Colorado, we have an interconnected power grid, so if one area is affected, like from forest fires, power is redirected from other systems. Living on the eastern plains for the past 30+ years, the longest power outage we have had was probably 2 hours during a blizzard.
Live at 7000 ft, CO
[/SIGPIC]
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #34
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Since wind generators only comprise 12% of the total capacity of Texas’ generation capacity, the problem with lack of electricity generation is due to the WEATHER! The pipes at all of the fuel generated plants are freezing, and the fuels, natural gas, oil and even nuclear, are not getting to the generators. Wind turbines work in the Antarctic, but the cold is constantly below freezing, therefore no ice forms. This cold front is unprecedented and the “independent” (read for profit) Texas generation system was not set up for this type of weather. The companies were warned 10 years ago that they were not prepared. So put the blame where it belongs.
In Colorado, we have an interconnected power grid, so if one area is affected, like from forest fires, power is redirected from other systems. Living on the eastern plains for the past 30+ years, the longest power outage we have had was probably 2 hours during a blizzard.

Here are some facts pertaining to wind power in TX;

(24.8%)
An ERCOT report on generating capacity listed the top sources of power in the state: Natural gas (51%) Wind (24.8%) Coal (13.4%)

This is an excerpt from the Austin American Statesman 21 hours ago. There are other mitigating issues besides the failure of the solar (approx. 4%) and wind generating systems; some due to weather, mostly self induced by mismanagement of the grid.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #35
gearhead

Quote:
He's done dropped the girls off and high tailed it back to Houston.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:14 PM   #36
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Here are some facts pertaining to wind power in TX;

(24.8%)
An ERCOT report on generating capacity listed the top sources of power in the state: Natural gas (51%) Wind (24.8%) Coal (13.4%)

This is an excerpt from the Austin American Statesman 21 hours ago. There are other mitigating issues besides the failure of the solar (approx. 4%) and wind generating systems; some due to weather, mostly self induced by mismanagement of the grid.
There is an interesting article in the wall street journal:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/texas-s...=hp_opin_pos_1

Might be pay walled.

copied below, just in case

While millions of Texans remain without power for a third day, the wind industry and its advocates are spinning a fable that gas, coal and nuclear plants—not their frozen turbines—are to blame. PolitiFact proclaims “Natural gas, not wind turbines, main driver of Texas power shortage.” Climate-change conformity is hard for the media to resist, but we don’t mind. So here are the facts to cut through the spin.

Texas energy regulators were already warning of rolling blackouts late last week as temperatures in western Texas plunged into the 20s, causing wind turbines to freeze. Natural gas and coal-fired plants ramped up to cover the wind power shortfall as demand for electricity increased with falling temperatures.

Some readers have questioned our reporting Wednesday ("The Political Making of a Texas Power Outage") that wind’s share of electricity generation in Texas plunged to 8% from 42%. How can that be, they wonder, when the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (Ercot) has reported that it counts on wind to meet only 10% of its winter capacity.

Ercot’s disclosure is slippery. Start with the term “capacity,” which means potential maximum output. This is different than actual power generation. Texas has a total winter capacity of about 83,000 megawatts (MW) including all power sources. Total power demand and generation, however, at their peak are usually only around 57,000 MW. Regulators build slack into the system.

Texas has about 30,000 MW of wind capacity, but winds aren’t constant or predictable. Winds this past month have generated between about 600 and 22,500 MW. Regulators don’t count on wind to provide much more than 10% or so of the grid’s total capacity since they can’t command turbines to increase power like they can coal and gas plants.

Wind turbines at times this month have generated more than half of the Texas power generation, though this is only about a quarter of the system’s power capacity. Last week wind generation plunged as demand surged. Fossil-fuel generation increased and covered the supply gap. Thus between the mornings of Feb. 7 and Feb. 11, wind as a share of the state’s electricity fell to 8% from 42%, according to the Energy Information Administration (EIA).

Gas-fired plants produced 43,800 MW of power Sunday night and coal plants chipped in 10,800 MW—about two to three times what they usually generate at their peak on any given winter day—after wind power had largely vanished. In other words, gas and coal plants held up in the frosty conditions far better than wind turbines did.

It wasn’t until temperatures plunged into the single digits early Monday morning that some conventional power plants including nuclear started to have problems, which was the same time that demand surged for heating. Gas plants also ran low on fuel as pipelines froze and more was diverted for heating.

“It appears that a lot of the generation that has gone offline today has been primarily due to issues on the natural gas system,” Electric Reliability Council of Texas senior director Dan Woodfin said Tuesday. The wind industry and its friends are citing this statement as exoneration. But note he used the word “today.” Most wind power had already dropped offline last week.

Gas generation fell by about one-third between late Sunday night and Tuesday, but even then was running two to three times higher than usual before the Arctic blast. Gas power nearly made up for the shortfall in wind, though it wasn’t enough to cover surging demand.

Between 12 a.m. on Feb. 8 and Feb. 16, wind power plunged 93% while coal increased 47% and gas 450%, according to the EIA. Yet the renewable industry and its media mouthpieces are tarring gas, coal and nuclear because they didn’t operate at 100% of their expected potential during the Arctic blast even though wind turbines failed nearly 100%.

The policy point here is that an electricity grid that depends increasingly on subsidized but unreliable wind and solar needs baseload power to weather surges in demand. Natural gas is crucial but it also isn’t as reliable as nuclear and coal power.

Politicians and regulators don’t want to admit this because they have been taking nuclear and coal plants offline to please the lords of climate change. But the public pays the price when blackouts occur because climate obeisance has made the grid too fragile. We’ve warned about this for years, and here we are.

In spite of the political rhetoric, solar panels and windmills are not going to cut it

-Brian
Old 02-20-2021, 08:50 PM   #37
BigBobIa

Quote:

There is yet another cosmic irony - Ted Cruz fleeing to Mexico to escape ICE.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:11 PM   #38
gearhead

LMAO
His citizenship is kinda strange.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:29 AM   #39
Jacko

I know how you feel, I'm in Central Florida and it was 85 yesterday. Talked to my oldest son in Ft. Collins and he is almost butt-deep in the white stuff and will be happy when it goes above "0". Earlier in the week, we had freezing water in some of the swamps in the panhandle and the water froze on the gators. They had to break the ice and stick their snouts out of the ice.
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:17 AM   #40
wiredgeorge

62F right a this moment. Cruz is a great representative of our state because he bucks PC and the rising tide of... well not to go political but will say I bought a new battery for my Champion generator (it is tiny and 7AH) and a new carburetor. I will be trying to figure out how to change the oil (will have to life the generator to allow some downward for old oil coming out) and hope I don't have to use the darn thing. Was thinking about buying a second generator as a backup as this one failed me when I needed it most.

Yes there will be finger wagging and a couple heads will roll but does govt ever really make changes for the better? Not if they cost votes or money.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote