Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
Sebring

New Mexico

Hi Everyone
Just wondering if anyone has any great spots to check out in New Mexico. As in, campgrounds, RV Parks and points of interest.
Time of year, will probably be March/April.
We were there years ago, but not RVing...fly and rental car trek. We just loved the laid back, relaxing feel of the state. Thought it a great way to start our retirement.
Appreciate any suggestions.
2008 GMC Duramax 2500HD 4x4
Good Sam Member
Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
hankaye

Sebring, Howdy;

Don't know as I ain't got there yet.

Leaving Central Utah for N.M. next Monday...

Will let ya know something when I do.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:15 AM   #3
antiqfreq

When we were in New Mexico last year we started south at White Sands National monuments to see the white sand dunes and slide down them.

Then headed further north to Albuquerque to the Petroglyth National Monument to hike a little and see the petroglyths.

Then continued north and dry-camped at the Bandelier National Monument. That is an awesome place. Hiked several trails. Climbed up the ladders to the caves where the dwellers used to live. It is an awesome park. We were there mid- March and had a few snow flurries along the way and while we were there.

Enjoy yourself,

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
geo

New Mexico Sites

Sebring -

I can make many suggestions in northern New Mexico and the surrounding area. To name only a few:

Chaco Canyon National Historical Park - This is a "must see". The campground is south of a mesa, so in March/April it should be good. I am not sure about the water now, but in the past, the potable water (well water) had a high magnesium and mineral content. (You got acquanted with the campground rest rooms after a day stay!) I would suggest taking a full tank of drinking water in. The restrooms were very nice with flush toilets and running water lavatories. No showers, no hook-ups, but it does have a dump station. I do not know what the current camping fee is. Plan at least one evening to listen to the ranger talk at Casa Rinconada. I would suggest planning a three day stay to hike around and see the different pueblos and Fajada Butte. (I'm very biased about Chaco Canyon - it was my thesis area )

Shiprock - another "must see" west of Farmington. And yes, it does look like a ship sinking in the Titanic manner. There is a Navajo Council store in Shiprock. The jewelry, rugs, etc. at the Council store are quality items that have passed the Council's inspection - you won't be ripped off and the prices are good for the quality. You won't get any turquoise that has been cut with Elmer's glue!

To the east, back towards Bandilier is Chama, New Mexico! The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad! This rail was once part of the line that ran from east of the Rockies up to Chama, Pagosa Springs, and on to Durango & Silverton. This part of the line and the Durango Silverton Rail are the only surviving parts. C&T does not have as many tourists as the Durango Silverton, and I think it is a much prettier and interesting route.

Crownpoint, NM - Several times a year, the Navajos hold a rug auction at the Crownpoint (http://crownpointrugauction.com/). It is definitely something to see. If you have the money to bid, you can get some pretty fantasic Navajo rugs! (In 1974, I saw a beautiful 18"x24" rug woven by an eleven year old girl sell for $100!) If you don't have the money to bid, sit on your hands, do not nod your head, and just appreciate the awesome rugs! If you are brave, get a Navajo Taco at the local cafe!

Four Corners - Be aware that the gates close sometime around 6pm or so. Be sure to check.

Further east - Taos, NM. Couple of nice campgrounds north of town towards the Rio Grande Gorge and bridge. The bridge is the second highest suspension bridge in North America (that includes Canada!). Hiking trails abound in this area also. Visit the town and take in the art galleries and visit the Kit Carson Museum. Visit the Act 1 art gallery and view the pastels by Dinah Worman!

Los Alamos - The nuclear museum is awesome! 'Nuff said!

Let me know if you need more suggestions, I'll cut this short . . .

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
KanTC

Heather,

You didn't say which route/direction you'll be traveling, so a lot will depend on your interests &
travel time available (of course)... and the weather during Mar/Apr.

If you're interested in specific areas of the state (other than what's already been suggested),
read this thread http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4167
or send me a PM, and I'll offer some ideas.

The New Mexico Vacation Guide lists attractions by regions & includes a calendar of events:
http://www.newmexico.org

You can view it online: 2011 http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...e7#/043b00e7/1

Or, order a 2012 hard copy (it's free)... http://www.newmexico.org/guide/index.php

There's also http://byways.org/explore/states/NM

Hope this helps!
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot & DH Kevin
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Sebring

Almost a year later, sorry about that...want to thank everyone for your input and suggestions...we thoroughly enjoyed our NM leg of our trip this spring. Will make notes of your input for next time.
Spent time at Brantley Lake St. Pk (between Carlsbad & Artesia) and Bottomless Lake St. Pk (east of Roswell). Carlsbad Caverns were spectacular!
Good Sam Member
Old 08-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
antiqfreq

We went to all three places you mentioned plus more - we gotta get back some day also - it is a great state !

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
hankaye

antiqfreq, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiqfreq View Post
We went to all three places you mentioned plus more - we gotta get back some day also - it is a great state !
Jo
SHHHHHHHHHh..... the quiet rural lifestyle is the beauty of the place...
if to many folks start showing up it'll end up like the overcrowded East Coast ....

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #9
Sebring

SHHHHHHHH you are sooooooo right, hankaye! lol
Good Sam Member