Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
Badtriangle

Towing with water in fresh tank?

Hello all:
Quick question regarding towing with water in the fresh tank. Is it recommended? We just picked up our bullet 257RSS and the dealership put 2/3 tank of fresh water in it. It towed ok but wanted to see if there was a difference with no water in it. Drained it and while “feeling” lighter, it also felt more bouncy. So that made me wonder if they put it there for a reason other than just to demo sinks/water pump stuff. Do some people put water in there to settle it down?
Also, I tow with a 2012 Silverado 2500HD. I pull about 2200-2500 RPMs doing about 62-65 mph. Does that sound appropriate?
Badtriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

Of all the rvs I towed or carried, I have never felt any difference with fresh tank full or empty. Even towing with holding tanks full or near full. Most of the time I tow with fresh full since I need water to dry camp.
I did a test with a truck camper I drove across Oregon with all tanks empty, filled fresh near camp site. Drove home with all tanks nearly full and the mpg was not noted to be much difference. Less than 1 mpg as I recall. Truck handled the same.
A couple years ago I went changed out trailer D tires at 65 psi to E tires at 80 psi. Some have said that made towing feel more sable. I did not find any difference towing on that change either. I compared 2 trips PDX to Boise and back. IE same roads same speed.
Maybe different TVs and RV combos will react with change.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
bobbecky

We always tow with a full or near full fresh tank. You never know when you might be stuck in the middle of nowhere overnight while traveling, and a full fresh tank sure makes the experience much better, when everything else has turned less than ideal. Another discussion had a comment that having the tank full instead of maybe at 1/4 full would keep water from sloshing back and forth which would actually protect the tank from being damaged from the water weight slamming around. We've never had a problem running with the tank full, and being at the very rear of our rig, it might take a little weight off the hitch.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #4
busterbrown

We always have our Bullet's FWT about 3/4 full during outbound travels. It's quicker to top off the tank when we get to the campground and we know we'll have potable water to use when enroute.

We had our fresh water tank usually full when traveling and camping on BLM in the southwest for nearly 4 weeks. Only thing I could have wished for is a bigger tank.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:09 PM   #5
CaptnJohn

I fill the 60 gallon tank before every trip. Tank sits close to front of the 5er so adds to pw.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:36 AM   #6
linux3

Our pantry cabinet and largest storage is behind the axles. What with food and shoes and games and such the balance of our TT shifts. I fill the tank 1/2 full as it's in the front and adds a little tongue weight.
I think it helps with sway.
I could be wrong but I feel better about it so it is better.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:38 AM   #7
Badtriangle

Thanks for the input. My FWT is near the front and I think having some water in it would help with sway. When towing with it empty, it was also a windy day and perhaps it was just the wind pushing but it did seem overall less solid when towing.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:53 AM   #8
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badtriangle View Post
Hello all:
Also, I tow with a 2012 Silverado 2500HD. I pull about 2200-2500 RPMs doing about 62-65 mph. Does that sound appropriate?
Gas or Diesel? Normal for a gasser. Seems high for a diesel.
Axle ratios have a bearing on rpms also.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:00 AM   #9
Badtriangle

Thanks! It’s gas. I wish I had a diesel but...
Old 07-29-2019, 07:10 AM   #10
rhagfo

Quote:
Hello all:
Quick question regarding towing with water in the fresh tank. Is it recommended? We just picked up our bullet 257RSS and the dealership put 2/3 tank of fresh water in it. It towed ok but wanted to see if there was a difference with no water in it. Drained it and while “feeling” lighter, it also felt more bouncy. So that made me wonder if they put it there for a reason other than just to demo sinks/water pump stuff. Do some people put water in there to settle it down?
Well your RPM sounds a little high for towing on flat ground with a TT with a GVWR of 7,300#. On flat ground with 3.73's in our 2016 Ram I am turning between 1,500 to 1,800 rpm at those speeds, sounds like you are locking out overdrives.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:05 AM   #11
travelin texans

Put tranny in D with tow/haul engaged set the cruise control then see what happens with rpms. Both my GMCs with 3.73 rearends, they were diesels, would run 1600-1800 rpms cruising at about 68, that seemed to be the sweet spot on both. If you not using tow/haul & locking out overdrive you're trying to outsmart the computer. Don't know about you but I'm barely "smarter than 5th grader", so let truck do as it was designed.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:01 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Hello all:

Your experience with your truck is almost exactly what I get. My truck is a Ram HD with 6.4 gas and 3.73. I run at about 65 mph and turn right at 2400 rpm with truck in tow/haul.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:32 AM   #13
Badbart56

Gassers have to turn higher RPM's because they don't have the torque that diesels make. They have to rely on horsepower which is produced at higher rev's, thus the lower fuel mileage. I'm curious to see what the new 2020 Ford 7.3 gasser makes. It's touted as a low RPM, high torque engine capable of higher fuel mileage than the current gas V-8's. Rumor has it at 482 hp and 557 lb-ft of torque but I haven't seen that verified anywhere yet.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:44 AM   #14
Badtriangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Put tranny in D with tow/haul engaged set the cruise control then see what happens with rpms. Both my GMCs with 3.73 rearends, they were diesels, would run 1600-1800 rpms cruising at about 68, that seemed to be the sweet spot on both. If you not using tow/haul & locking out overdrive you're trying to outsmart the computer. Don't know about you but I'm barely "smarter than 5th grader", so let truck do as it was designed.
So I will expose my ignorance here and just ask some follow ups.
I have a 4.10 rear end. I’ve never used the tow/haul except in parking lots. I was always afraid to use it at high speeds as it seemed like the engine generated so high RPMs. So should I be using it?
I’ve never even thought of using the cruise either.
I was under the impression that I wasn’t supposed to go much faster than 55-60 on RV tires. Is that not true?
Perhaps I have been inadvertently trying to outsmart the computer.
I tend to watch my RPMs and tranny temp when driving to dictate my speed. My tranny never gets more than 160-165.
Sorry for my ignorance and thanks for any help for this dummy.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #15
ChuckS

Towing in tow haul is paramount to longer transmission life. The shift points are different ... that’s why there is a tow haul mode. Tow Haul engaged when towing. If you want your transmission to be happy

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:32 AM   #16
travelin texans

With the 4:10 gears you will run higher rpms with likely less fuel mileage.
The tow/haul should be engaged anytime you hook up to tow any type of trailer, that's what it was designed for as it changes shift points + with the tap of the brake pedal will downshift when going down steep grades, each tap will drop a gear. Let the truck do the work while you steer.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:52 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
So I will expose my ignorance here and just ask some follow ups.
I have a 4.10 rear end. I’ve never used the tow/haul except in parking lots. I was always afraid to use it at high speeds as it seemed like the engine generated so high RPMs. So should I be using it?
I’ve never even thought of using the cruise either.
I was under the impression that I wasn’t supposed to go much faster than 55-60 on RV tires. Is that not true?
Perhaps I have been inadvertently trying to outsmart the computer.
I tend to watch my RPMs and tranny temp when driving to dictate my speed. My tranny never gets more than 160-165.
Sorry for my ignorance and thanks for any help for this dummy.

Always use tow/haul when you have your trailer on the truck. Not doing so does all of the things listed above but paramount to me is it will save your tranny. Back in the early 90s my daughter got married and moved to S TX. Enlisted the old man to load the U Haul and carry her/their stuff from W TX to S TX. I did not use tow/haul. Made 2 round trips pulling the largest U Haul trailer they had. Shortly thereafter the tranny started slipping. It had to be replaced - under warranty thankfully at about 35,500 miles. All the time I was pulling the trailer the tranny was constantly dropping in and out of OD and downshifting depending on the terrain. I literally burned it up with those 2 trips.

4.10 rear end is beneficial for towing IMO. RPM will run a little higher but that's OK - you're not going to be going 100mph. Mileage will be a little lower but in my experience not even enough to worry about.

Trailer tires are rated at 65mph generally; some newer ones are rated with higher speeds but for me, 65 is about max to be safe towing a trailer of any size.

As far as watching RPMs to dictate speed; I wouldn't worry about it unless you're trying to blow the rods out the side. Look at the redline on your tach - that is the max rpm you can run and be "safe". Continuous operation at that level will definitely shorten you engine life. I try to maintain a general constant rpm of around 2400 rpm which is 65mph. Significant grades will cause it to drop a gear and spin up to about 3500 for a while but not long. Those are OK. When traveling normal highways I look at my temps maybe twice a day. Tough terrain (mountainous) maybe every 2 hrs. or so.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:05 PM   #18
Badtriangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Always use tow/haul when you have your trailer on the truck. Not doing so does all of the things listed above but paramount to me is it will save your tranny. Back in the early 90s my daughter got married and moved to S TX. Enlisted the old man to load the U Haul and carry her/their stuff from W TX to S TX. I did not use tow/haul. Made 2 round trips pulling the largest U Haul trailer they had. Shortly thereafter the tranny started slipping. It had to be replaced - under warranty thankfully at about 35,500 miles. All the time I was pulling the trailer the tranny was constantly dropping in and out of OD and downshifting depending on the terrain. I literally burned it up with those 2 trips.

4.10 rear end is beneficial for towing IMO. RPM will run a little higher but that's OK - you're not going to be going 100mph. Mileage will be a little lower but in my experience not even enough to worry about.

Trailer tires are rated at 65mph generally; some newer ones are rated with higher speeds but for me, 65 is about max to be safe towing a trailer of any size.

As far as watching RPMs to dictate speed; I wouldn't worry about it unless you're trying to blow the rods out the side. Look at the redline on your tach - that is the max rpm you can run and be "safe". Continuous operation at that level will definitely shorten you engine life. I try to maintain a general constant rpm of around 2400 rpm which is 65mph. Significant grades will cause it to drop a gear and spin up to about 3500 for a while but not long. Those are OK. When traveling normal highways I look at my temps maybe twice a day. Tough terrain (mountainous) maybe every 2 hrs. or so.
This is all helpful information! Thanks. No one has ever taught me any of this and therefore I end up learning on the fly or from people like you all. I tend to be more of a worrier when i tow out of fear I am going to hurt something in my rig. I will begin using tow/haul and see how it does. I honestly don’t tow more than 300 miles total per year so hopefully I’ve not done any significant damage. The tranny doesn’t slip or anything so there’s that.
Thanks and if there any more tips send them my way. I’ll use any of them I can get.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #19
River Duck

So how does one know where the fresh tank is located under the trailer? Where the drain valve is?
River Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

That will pretty much tell you since it will be over it.

Tags
tank, tow, towing, water