Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2018, 05:49 PM   #21
Bouleyfamily

I do eventually plan on replacing my 1500 with a 2500. I guess I was using the wrong words when describing my set up. I do have a factory reciver the add on is the Hitch. My trucks factory tow rating is 8260lbs and my trailer is only 6k fully loaded with a 500lb tounge weight. So technically I should be well within the range of acceptable towing parameters (with the exception of my weird hitch). The hitch really wouldn't be a problem if if were only putting something on the ball and not using a weight distribution system. For now I'll be fixing my reciver/hitch setup and replacing my factory bumps stops with the timbren suspension enhancement setup.
Bouleyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:26 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

I won't harass you any longer, but, you say you have a 6k lb. trailer fully loaded but only a 500lb tongue weight. Less than 10% on the tongue is a good way to have a bad experience. In the things I've towed I would say that you would have a minimum of 700lbs or so to keep things towing right. I would encourage you to do some heavy duty research on the forum along with other places about receivers, hitches, weights etc. If you do have a family depending on your decisions it behooves you to do all the research you can and, IMO, err on the side of safety in every instance.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:35 PM   #23
Bouleyfamily

I certainly don't look at our conversation as harassment. Your giving me free knowledge to help me and my family be safe and keep our camping experiances enjoyable. I could very well be wrong about my toungweight also, for some reason I felt like I read that my tounge weight was 500lbs. I dont remember where I got that figure from. It could have possibly been online and referring to the dry weight of the trailer. I've also been email back and forth with someone at etrailer.com regarding my receiver/hitch situation. One I have learned with this is that camping world will let you leave with inadequate equipment as long as they've got a sale. I asked my salesman and the guys teaching me how to hookup my setup and they all said I had more than enough to be able to tow my trailer. 4 months later I now know not to trust them anymore. Thos forum in particular has definitely helped me out in the past and I value any and all opinions and suggestions to keep camping fun.
Bouleyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:00 PM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

I for one applaud for making that statement. RV dealers in general are more concerned with the sale rather than safety. We are not allowed to post where we work, but I will say the reason I am back at my current employer is their willingness to walk away from a sale rather than let someone leave unsafe. Forums like this one are a good way to gain “real” knowledge from people who have “real” experience. It’s also nice to see your not getting upset, and that is refreshing.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:14 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouleyfamily View Post
I certainly don't look at our conversation as harassment. Your giving me free knowledge to help me and my family be safe and keep our camping experiances enjoyable. I could very well be wrong about my toungweight also, for some reason I felt like I read that my tounge weight was 500lbs. I dont remember where I got that figure from. It could have possibly been online and referring to the dry weight of the trailer. I've also been email back and forth with someone at etrailer.com regarding my receiver/hitch situation. One I have learned with this is that camping world will let you leave with inadequate equipment as long as they've got a sale. I asked my salesman and the guys teaching me how to hookup my setup and they all said I had more than enough to be able to tow my trailer. 4 months later I now know not to trust them anymore. Thos forum in particular has definitely helped me out in the past and I value any and all opinions and suggestions to keep camping fun.
I appreciate your point of view. If you have weighed the trailer and it is 6k I would be suspect of a 500lb tongue weight. On the other hand, if you haven't weighed it, it will probably be more. Remember it doesn't matter what anything you read on the internet, brochures etc. says; it's what is posted on the placards on your truck and trailer along with what a scale says; they are the definitive numbers. We are here if you have any questions.

Our (my) intention is to 1) make sure you and yours are safe and 2) try to make every effort to keep camping fun!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #26
mikef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawgwill44 View Post
Is anyone pulling a Passport Grand Touring 2400BH with an F-150? Looking to pull the trigger on what and curious what others think of their experience.
I have a 2018 2400bh and pull it with a 2017 F150 EcoBoost V6 with tow package and I use an e2 weight distribution/sway setup. Tows great.
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2400bh, passport