Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
therink

Campground Etiquette Advice

My family and I are in the middle of a wonderful 2 week stay at Camp Chautauqua in Western NY. Nice place.
This afternoon, in comes this high roller in a Class A with a full size Sierra truck in tow, the half million $ type rig if you know what I mean. As soon as he pulls in, he walks around his rig visibly upset because it appeared his site was not going to be good for his rooftop satellite reception. Needless to say, he was on his cell, then moments later, two campground trucks show up and they actually climbed a tree and removed what appeared to be a tree limb near his rig.
A little while later I got into my truck to head to store for supplies. I am going adhering to the CG 10mph limit. I look in my mirror and this guy in his Sierra is tailgating about 10' behind me and is visibly upset I am not going faster.
Anyway, since then this guy has repeatedly driven by in his truck going at least 25 MPH. This is a tight CG on a Friday night with kids everywhere (including my own). I have also noticed that others speed in here too. A lot has to do with the fact that all CG roads are paved. 10mph signs are clearly posted.
It really bothers me when people think they are above the rules it just don't show an ounce of respect toward others, esp since this guy appears to be a veteran rv'er. I have always made a point to drive not much faster then you can walk while in Campgrounds, especially in congested areas. Should I say something to this guy or to the CG?
What would you do?

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If it were me, I would take my concerns to the folks who manage the CG. They are the ones who are responsibile for ensuring that their own rules are being adhered to - and especially those involving excessive speed through a congested area.
I would want to get some kind of assurance that your concerns would be looked into and ask for a follow-up "report" from the managers/owners. If they have spoken with the fellow you should see some kind reduction in his speed. Getting into a discussion or confrontation with one or more of the campers might not be the best approach and only raise your blood pressure to dangerous levels. Tempting but not too wise IMHO.
And the guy whose satellite TV reception was being interfered with by tree branches? Some RVers are lost without TV. Wouldn't know what to do. Can't cope and they get grumpy and irritable. Dr. Phil, where are you? Oh yes, I forgot, he is on TV.
If the campground is one of the "chain campgrounds" (1000 Trails, etc.) it might be worth a note to them indicating the you have observed numerous campers ignoring the posted limits and that you are concerned about the safety of your and other children. Send a copy to the CG management if you don't notice any improvement after discussing your concerns with the CG supervisors.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
therink

Festus2
Actually the speeding guy and the TV guy are the same guy. I guess I didn't make that clear. This guy really irks me. He acts like he is in a 5 star resort.
I will take it up with the CG management tomorrow. I just needed someone here to recommend that approach. I definately don't need my blood boiling. My kids do that enough . Have a good night.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
KanTC

Steve,

I agree... take your concerns to the c/g management. 5-star resort or not, the c/g established (& posted) speed limits for a reason; and it's their responsibility to enforce 'their' rules & keep ALL campers/paying customers safe.

I'll resist the urge to say anymore, and just leave it at that!!

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:37 AM   #5
Bob Landry

I agree, a confrontation is not the best way to go. Go to the management. A lot of people travel armed, myself included, but that doesn't mean I'm looking for an excuse to use it. This is obviously one of the elite to whom the rules do not apply. There are a lot of those out there.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:27 AM   #6
cumminsdad08

i don't know if ths is the best and most adult approach to a "speeding" vehical, but i live in city and when i see a vehical driving too fast with kids playing around, on a repeted basis, i usually learn about what time they are coming around and wait with one of the kids balls in hand, then roll it out, just as a reminder that they are not the only ones using the area. like i said, it might not be the most adult thing to do, but it does open some eyes. only down fall, the kids usually get a new ball
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
jq1031

Angry

I agree with the others, take it to the management. But, being a hot tempered irishman it may have gone the other way!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
therink

Well, I've decided to do nothing. Basically I've come to the conclusion that the CG management doesn't really care or enforce the speed limit. The CG service trucks are the worst offenders.
I think my complaint would be a mute point.
No point in getting bent out of shape over something I can't control.
Steve

Old 07-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #9
hankaye

therink, Howdy;

Two thoughts...

1) You could, find another CG close by to stay at and re-locate. When Mgmt. asks why you are leaving early you can tell them about the "Whale" (as they are refered to in Vagas, high rollers and such), and the Maint. crews lack of attention to the speed limit. Your concerns about the safety of your children and those of others, that you intend to "spread the word" on forums and other means of communication. That should get their attention.

2). Does the term "spike strip" ring a bell??

hankaye

just joking about the spike strip (or am I?????)

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:38 AM   #10
Ruffus

Cool The Cop In Me!

I guess I was a cop for to many years. As far as the speeding issue, I had the same problem here in Georgia the other day. I stopped my vehicle in the middle of the road where the guy tailgating me could not pass, got out and walked back and told him to slow down there are animals and kids out playing and that sign right there (pointing to it) says 15 miles per hour not 25 MPH. I must have starteled him because Buddy slowed way down. I don't recommend this for everyone and my size may intemmidate a lot of people but sometimes pointing out the obvious to some idiots work, I'm also mindful of combative indiviuals and am ready to break a arm or knee cap if required, sorry, that's just me.
As far as the satilite dish, I have a solution for that too but it wouldn't be approiate to post on this site.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #11
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Well, I've decided to do nothing. Basically I've come to the conclusion that the CG management doesn't really care or enforce the speed limit. The CG service trucks are the worst offenders.
I think my complaint would be a mute point.
No point in getting bent out of shape over something I can't control.
Steve
Steve,
Post this issue on RV Park Reviews, here is the link.
http://www.campgroundreviews.com/
I believe this information needs to be shared with everyone who has children and animals that they camp with. Let the reader make an informed decision as to where to stay.
I have by-pass many a camp ground that have had bad reviews.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

Crazy Canucks wrote: "When you book a site in advance and have given the resort/CG all of the info on your type of rig and your requirements, you expect that you should be able to use your rig and all of its extras/options."

I would expect that the resort/CG would have made sure that all of its sites would be clear of any overhanging branches, etc., so that incoming rigs would have adequate clearance to extend all of their slides and not have your unit scratched by any obstructions. Asking the CG to remove branches so you can put your slides out is certainly not unreasonable. If you have pre-booked a site and have specified that you need a site free of any nearby trees which might hinder or prevent you from obtaining a signal, when you arrive - that is what you should expect upon arrival - if they have told you that one would be available. Some campgrounds/resorts are in heavily wooded areas and satellite reception may not be possible so expecting it just because you have satellite TV is asking a bit too much.
Having said that, knowing that certain trees and their proximity to your site may cause some problems with satellite reception, is it reasonable to ask the resort/CG to start removing branches and trees near your site so you can get TV reception? Even though these trees may not be on or near your site but not interfering with your rig in any other way?
Can or should the CG give you a guarantee that you will get satellite reception no matter where your site is in the resort/CG? I guess this is one thing you could ask before you make a reservation into that CG if you want to use your satellite TV.
Your length of stay might also be a factor. If you are staying for an extended period of time, having good TV reception may be a different requirement for some than if you were only staying for 1-2 nights.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Crazy Canucks wrote: "When you book a site in advance and have given the resort/CG all of the info on your type of rig and your requirements, you expect that you should be able to use your rig and all of its extras/options."

I would expect that the resort/CG would have made sure that all of its sites would be clear of any overhanging branches, etc., so that incoming rigs would have adequate clearance to extend all of their slides and not have your unit scratched by any obstructions. Asking the CG to remove branches so you can put your slides out is certainly not unreasonable. If you have pre-booked a site and have specified that you need a site free of any nearby trees which might hinder or prevent you from obtaining a signal, when you arrive - that is what you should expect upon arrival.
Having said that, knowing that certain trees and their proximity to your site may cause some problems with satellite reception, is it reasonable to ask the resort/CG to start removing branches and trees near your site so you can get TV reception? Even though these trees may not be on your site or near your site but not interfering with your rig in any other way?
Can or should the CG give you a guarantee that you will get satellite reception no matter where your site is in the resort/CG? I guess this is one thing you could ask before you make a reservation into that CG if you want to use your satellite TV.
Your length of stay might also be a factor. If you are staying for an extended period of time, having good TV reception is a different requirement than if you were only staying for 1-2 nights.
I think the CG operator has a responsibility to provide a space that you can get in and out of without damage to your rig. That's reasonable. To make them responsible for your satellite reception? Geez, go ahead and make them responsible for your cell phone and mobil hot spot reception. If I were the operator and you weren't happy with the space that I provided, I would probably suggest that you might be more comfortable in another park.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
Outbackmel

rink

sent you a PM. Have 2011 same.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote