Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2018, 05:36 PM   #1
Darrelynn

Antenna Connection

Hello! Newbie here! My hubby and I full time in a 2009 Montana 3400 RL. A few evenings ago, I disconnected the connections to the antenna in order to connect to cable. Long story short, I never could connect to cable,so I wanted to reconnect to the antenna. Problem is, there are three ports and I cannot remember which is which. We have great reception on the BR Vizio TV because it is wired directly into the antenna. I cannot get any channels on our living room LG TV. Does anyone know which cable goes to which port? Any suggestions? Believe me, once I get this resolved, I am labeling everything and taking pictures! TIA
Darrelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum looks like you might be real close to me.

WAG here: if you have 3 coax connections, odds are there is one on one plate and two on the other. Try the single for antenna.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #3
Darrelynn

Thanks for the quick response! All ports are on one plate behind the booster. Ports labelled antenna, cable and set one. Have tried all manner of combinations to get reception on LR TV but to no avail.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If your in salida, I’m in Modesto and I have a tool that we can identify the antenna and park cable.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #5
Darrelynn

I appreciate that but we are currently stranded in Santa Fe NM (blew up the tranny...ouch!) We are actually from Salida, Colorado. I believe Modesto is in Cali? Thanks for the offer though. I really wish I could take you up on that. My poor fingers are getting sore from screwing and unscrewing cable. Been at it almost 6 hours now and no luck!
Old 04-09-2018, 06:57 PM   #6
Darrelynn

Oh! And we tow with a 1995 CC diesel dually F350 TurboBeast. GMTA! Great Minds Tow Alike!
Old 04-09-2018, 07:17 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Yeah I’m in Calif. I would have been happy to stop by. You have a Powerstroke, I have an IDI... both are indestructible IMO. E4OD is the weak link.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:30 AM   #8
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrelynn View Post
Hello! Newbie here! My hubby and I full time in a 2009 Montana 3400 RL. A few evenings ago, I disconnected the connections to the antenna in order to connect to cable. Long story short, I never could connect to cable,so I wanted to reconnect to the antenna. Problem is, there are three ports and I cannot remember which is which. We have great reception on the BR Vizio TV because it is wired directly into the antenna. I cannot get any channels on our living room LG TV. Does anyone know which cable goes to which port? Any suggestions? Believe me, once I get this resolved, I am labeling everything and taking pictures! TIA
I think it will be a bit hard to tell which cable goes where without a tester of sorts or through a lot of trial and error which it sounds like you've done a bit of that already. Are you in a park, are there any other RVs like yours there, maybe check theirs...just a suggestion.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:13 AM   #9
Bostongone

I’m not sure how your antenna is wired or powered if you say the BR Vizio TV is wired directly to it and working fine. In these 2009 and most units the antenna comes directly to the wall outlet you have with the three connectors and where it receives its power. That said I would bring the working BR Vizio TV and hook it up to each of these three cables until you get a signal. Then label this one antenna. Then connect it to the antenna jack on this outlet and then connect one of the other cables to the set one connector and move the BR Vizio TV to the living room and check for a signal. If none try the other cable on the set one connector. This should work but as I mentioned I don’t know why or how the BR Vizio TV is currently hooked to the antenna?
You may need at least one of the small f-connector unions to connect these cables together.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:40 AM   #10
John&Genny

You may want to check the Montana Owners club. I believe they may have some wiring diagrams in their files section:

http://montanaowners.com
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #11
Duramike

Thinking about a similar experience I had. I was in our 5er swapping cables trying to get a signal when my grandson asked what I was doing. Leave it to the younger generation to make me look bad. He hooked all cables back to hookup labled antenna and had the tv search for signal. When completed I had off air signals and all was well. Don’t know what happened but the tv had merely lost its off air programming. If you reprogrammed the tv while trying to find cable stations it could be that simple. Don’t know, just a thought. ��
Old 04-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #12
Darrelynn

Thanks for the tip! I am going to be back at it today. Last night I at least figured out which cable brings signal to the LR TV. We now know which way is east (thank you, Mr. Sun!) so hopefully we can be more accurate in pointing the antenna the right way!

Tags
antenna