Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
oldmanbill

Murphy day

So I had the deal all made only thing to stop it was if the condition was not what the owner described. Well it was not but bought it anyway. Owner claimed it had been garaged as new condition. It is a 2011 Xlite Couger, 34 ft long. It has never seen the inside of a garage but real clean. Disappointment was that the fridge has been replaced by a small apartment 110 volt unit, should have passed on it, but did not.

I have a 2500 Avalanche with all the heavy tow gear, set out to pick it up 150 miles away. Pick up my son and about halfway there shuck a radial cap, tear up the quarter panel. Took 2 or three hours to get the spare down, ended up in 40 degree windy weather removing the cross member that holds it.

Now have a dry-rotted different size tire on it. Tire place had to order the tires on a Friday. So no towing with it until late Monday. Next day head out in my sons 1/2 ton with no brake controller, lot of experience towing so no problem, truck handled it well, but very cautious and slow speed. Great, got it home, went right in a tight driveway that I was not sure would fit, pull across the lawn, stuck in the mud! Now three days of steady rain. Yep, bad weekend!

Could have been worse if the tire let go with the trailer hooked up, so a little sunshine, but the Avalanche is 4wd, probably would have been fine
oldmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
Tbos

Get the truck out. Let the TT sit in the mud till it dries. Then jack it up and put boards under it. Good luck. Hope the rest of your adventures are less exciting.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #3
oldmanbill

Good plan, truck is out and getting some rough cut 12 inchers. Thanks
oldmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #4
notanlines

There are only two kinds of people on this board; those who have had your kind of day or those who WILL have your kind of day. There are some who might say "No, not me." Guess what.....oh, yeah. It will happen to you. Murphy says it will, and at the worst possible time.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
There are only two kinds of people on this board; those who have had your kind of day or those who WILL have your kind of day. There are some who might say "No, not me." Guess what.....oh, yeah. It will happen to you. Murphy says it will, and at the worst possible time.

Nah! Say it ain't so!

I spent my younger years going and doing all kinds of stuff; driving into places where no one should go, and getting out without too much grief. Had a lot of fun. Then, I started letting DW go with me.....she loves those "where do they go roads" in the middle of nowhere and begs me to take her on them. I have now been stuck so many times, crawled under the truck trying to get it out in a foot of mud and 20 degrees, backed 1/4 mile just to get out etc. - when I tell her it's a bad idea! So now, I agree, it WILL happen to me!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:24 AM   #6
rhagfo

Wow Shucked a radial cap!
I haven't had a capped tire for over thirty years. I do recall the walnut shell snow tire caps that worked great in the day.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:20 AM   #7
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Best quote of the day right here..
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote