Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2017, 06:57 AM   #1
fixn2gocamp

How long do you go?

Well, 8 days now until we pick up our new Elite 23RB. Have a question for other FT or long timers in small TT's or ultra lites.... How long do you stay out? We have been FTing since 2009, but in our 37' MH....not in a 26' TT. What's the pro's and con's of long time (6-8months) in the trailer? Not worried about the confinement or space issue...we don't do extreme cold weather camping and normally stay in campgrounds or parks...so not too worried about tanks, power, etc. More concerned with what the TT can take as far as usage. We see people out here full timing in really small units, but have never asked about the good and bad.... ??
2020 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4
Reese M-5 20000 Lb 5th wheel hitch
Also in inventory: 2020 Big Horn 3925 MLP 5th wheel
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
Desert185

The more you tow it, the quicker its going to fall apart and the more frequently you'll need to perform maintenance like wheel bearing lube. Maintenance is part of the experience, so I really wouldn't be too concerned other than making sure I installed a suspension wet bolt kit with bronze bushings and zerk fittings that allowed an occasional lube. Get a good set of tires like Carlisle's and tow away.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
rjrelander

I think our manual advised against extended stays due to humidity issues. Smaller enclosed spaces start getting mold and mildew even with only a couple people if you start staying in them for weeks at a time. I suppose larger trailers have similar issues if you have enough people living in them. Dehumidifier might be required.

EDIT: BTW, compared to our 1750RD, the 23RB is huge!

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:52 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with Desert185; towing ages your trailer probably more than any other thing barring some sort of major malfunction. Depending on where you are staying humidity can be an issue. I carry a mid sized dehumidifier with us for those occasions. If confinement is not an issue you should be good to go I would think.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I agree with Desert185; towing ages your trailer probably more than any other thing barring some sort of major malfunction. Depending on where you are staying humidity can be an issue. I carry a mid sized dehumidifier with us for those occasions. If confinement is not an issue you should be good to go I would think.
Humidity can be an issue. My tolerance for humidity dropped considerably during the 60's. That's why I live in the high desert (17% as I type). One reason I like the Maxxair vent covers is that we can tow with the vents cranked open and have no fear of the lids flying off while enroute. Ventilation is good.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #6
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Humidity can be an issue. My tolerance for humidity dropped considerably during the 60's. That's why I live in the high desert (17% as I type). One reason I like the Maxxair vent covers is that we can tow with the vents cranked open and have no fear of the lids flying off while enroute. Ventilation is good.
X2 on the Maxxair covers, it's a must for me to have the vents cranked while towing. It disperses the humidity and also makes the trailer smell fresh and clean.
As for the trailer falling apart they actually do as they're built so cheaply. I've hit a few potholes that were unavoidable and I swear that a wall might have been dragging behind me. Sometimes I wonder if the design guys realize that these trailers are meant to be towed and not sit in a showroom all of their lives.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
fixn2gocamp

Thanks for all the responses and advice. I guess I should have said something about humidity in my original comment. MH's are not exempt from humidity issues at all so we're familiar with that! We do run a fairly good size de-humidifier in the MH. We will get a small, counter top unit for the approx. 184 sq ft in the 23rb. Also we are huge fans of the MaxxAirs covers and have 3 of them on our MH and they will go on the 23RB the day its delivered. Fan in bathroom is ALWAYS run when showering, don't care how cold it is! We practice 'inspect and tighten' before each trip now...so that won't change.

Having said that.... You've got my attention with the comments about the units falling apart We will not be "full timing" in the 23RB, but do intend to use it several months at a time. We will still be using the MH for long and extended trips, and during the winter months in south Texas.

Thanks for the comments about the bolts and bushings...already looking into that, think there may be grease zerks on some of the newer units. We will check it out on delivery and get them if not. I cant stand a squeaky, popping trailer so will work to keep it quiet!

Keep that advice coming, we appreciate it!
2020 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4
Reese M-5 20000 Lb 5th wheel hitch
Also in inventory: 2020 Big Horn 3925 MLP 5th wheel
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #8
Alpine

We have been using these for going on five years (fulltimers). We have one in every cupboard and hidden from site around the fifthwheel. Yes they really do the work of keeping moisture out. Visitors still walk in and say "Wow it smells new in here!" Best of all- no electricity needed.

You can spend $5.00 at the big box stores... or... you can do like us and purchase them at Dollar Tree!!!

Just a lil' tip from your Uncle Jeffrey!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	144947.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	13605  

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote