Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2017, 10:01 PM   #1
Murmaids

Filling Water, without moving

Hi!

We just purchased a 2017, Cougar, 30RLI. The trailer we used to have, we were able to just put a water jug nozzle into the fresh water fill.

This new trailer you have to fill by connecting the white hose to the fresh water fill. How do any of you fill your fresh water tank without moving your trailer each time you need fresh water?

We're two women, we usually camp 7 to 15 days, no water hook-up sites in most of our Michigan State Parks.

Thanks in advance!
Murmaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:35 AM   #2
hdxbonez

I used to use a 12volt marine transfer pump and 2 short water hoses to fill my Cougar. It has a gravity fill inlet however, and I pumped from 7 gallon jugs to the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170316-062830.jpg
Views:	903
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	12030  
Old 03-16-2017, 03:09 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Just curious, but what are you doing with your black and grey tanks? Totes?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:45 AM   #4
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmaids View Post
Hi!

We just purchased a 2017, Cougar, 30RLI. The trailer we used to have, we were able to just put a water jug nozzle into the fresh water fill.

This new trailer you have to fill by connecting the white hose to the fresh water fill. How do any of you fill your fresh water tank without moving your trailer each time you need fresh water?

We're two women, we usually camp 7 to 15 days, no water hook-up sites in most of our Michigan State Parks.

Thanks in advance!
You could still do it that way. Just buy a short piece of the hose and cut off the end that doesn't attach to the fresh water fill. Buy a funnel that will fit into the cut end of the hose and you're ready to go. If a hose bib isn't too far away, just get another section of hose to add onto your existing hose
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:15 AM   #5
canesfan

If you've got one of the "new and improved" versions where Keystone decided it was advantageous to NOT have a gravity fill, you have some work to do. With no water hookups and no gravity fill you will need a source of water (blue 6 gallon water jugs from Wmart or elsewhere or a bladder) and a pump and some extra hose.

Or...

There have been several discussions on here about this very thing. It has been discussed at length about filling the tank through the tank vent. That way you might be able to fill it like you were doing previously. Find your tank vent, take the little screen out of the opening, get a couple feet of small plastic tubing that will fit into the vent opening, making sure it is not wide enough to fill the entire opening, you need room to let air escape at the same time water is entering. I fashioned a hookup from a blue water jug to the plastic tubing by removing the spout and getting a plastic nipple to replace it and slid the tubing over the other end. This way I can dump water into the vent from the blue water jug. It's awkward because you have to lift 50 lbs of water almost shoulder high. With two of you you might be able to use the tubing and a funnel instead of what I described.

Good luck, it's a hassle, but it's doable.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:19 AM   #6
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
You could still do it that way. Just buy a short piece of the hose and cut off the end that doesn't attach to the fresh water fill. Buy a funnel that will fit into the cut end of the hose and you're ready to go. If a hose bib isn't too far away, just get another section of hose to add onto your existing hose
No, that won't work if they have the setup I'm thinking of. There is a check valve on the city water inlet that needs water pressure to open it. Pouring water from a jug through a hose isn't going to open the check valve. I stay in a woman's yard twice a year who has such low water pressure even using her water supply won't open the check valve and I have to fill through the tank vent.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #7
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
No, that won't work if they have the setup I'm thinking of. There is a check valve on the city water inlet that needs water pressure to open it. Pouring water from a jug through a hose isn't going to open the check valve. I stay in a woman's yard twice a year who has such low water pressure even using her water supply won't open the check valve and I have to fill through the tank vent.
She/they didn't reference the city water inlet, they were talking about the fresh water fill.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:00 AM   #8
canesfan

Quote:
She/they didn't reference the city water inlet, they were talking about the fresh water fill.
I read "connecting the white hose to the fresh water fill" as the city water inlet. Since that is the only "fresh" water connection on a lot of newer models. It supplies a connection for both "city" water and to fill your tank all in the same port. There is no "gravity fill". Do you have a separate gravity fill? Maybe they brought them back after all the complaints.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:46 AM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Yes think the OP is talking about the city water connection, As canesfan was saying older rigs like mine and as stated by the OP her old one have/had a fresh water tank fill inlet on the curb side of the camper. Unlock the little door and pour the water in with a spout. As canesfan stated Keystone has removed this feature and if I recall replaced it with just a small screened tank vent. Also as stated by canesfan we have had this discussion before on the forum and members have suggested different work around including canesfan. Do a search say on fresh water fill.

I assume on you newer unit you do not have a gravity fill??
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #10
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Yes think the OP is talking about the city water connection, As canesfan was saying older rigs like mine and as stated by the OP her old one have/had a fresh water tank fill inlet on the curb side of the camper. Unlock the little door and pour the water in with a spout. As canesfan stated Keystone has removed this feature and if I recall replaced it with just a small screened tank vent. Also as stated by canesfan we have had this discussion before on the forum and members have suggested different work around including canesfan. Do a search say on fresh water fill.

I assume on you newer unit you do not have a gravity fill??
I beg to differ , they didn't replace it, they removed it altogether. The vent was and is still there. They haven't figured how to take that away...yet.

Hmm, maybe we should talk about tires...

Edit - maybe they can vent it out the roof like the other tanks. That way we would need to climb on the roof to add water. Of course if it rained we could just put a giant funnel up there...
Old 03-16-2017, 10:00 AM   #11
xrated

I'll double check mine when I get home but I think I've got a city water hookup, which of course requires a water hose...AND another port where I can just stick the end of a hose in the opening and let it flow (gravity feed)

Old 03-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #12
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
I beg to differ , they didn't replace it, they removed it altogether. The vent was and is still there. They haven't figured how to take that away...yet.

Hmm, maybe we should talk about tires...

Edit - maybe they can vent it out the roof like the other tanks. That way we would need to climb on the roof to add water. Of course if it rained we could just put a giant funnel up there...
Watch it now canesfan, putting gravity fill on roof would be a handicap for me remember I do not have a folding ladder like you I also stand corrected, yes the vent is still there and yes I guess you can still DRIP FILL water out of a large container into that small screen tube . Good for the arm strength

NOPE as far as tires, I am definitely tired out
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #13
canesfan

One "water" port, one ball valve, No gravity fill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_5229[1].jpg
Views:	388
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	12031  
Old 03-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #14
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Watch it now canesfan, putting gravity fill on roof would be a handicap for me remember I do not have a folding ladder like you I also stand corrected, yes the vent is still there and yes I guess you can still DRIP FILL water out of a large container into that small screen tube . Good for the arm strength

NOPE as far as tires, I am definitely tired out
Darn, no "handicapped" emoji.

But you have a gravity fill. They gave me a folding ladder to make up for it. I guess so I can climb up on the roof to scout for rain easier.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #15
Murmaids

Hi!

Yes, we use a tote. Or as we call it, our little gray honey wagon.

Mary an Ann

(A mystical creature seen on or near the water by sailors)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #16
Murmaids

Thanks, we did think about doing the funnel trick.

Mary an Ann

Old 03-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #17
Murmaids

Only 5'3", here and Ann is even shorter. We have a step ladder, but, I know climbing a ladder with a jug of water, would definitely be a site to behold.

Mary an Ann

Old 03-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #18
Murmaids

We will do the search on the water fill. I know others who have the battery and tank set up. I also know this trailer only has the one inlet for fresh water.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Mary and Ann

Mary an Ann

Old 03-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #19
Desert185

I have a 60 gal bladder, a 120v pump and a generator. The bladder fits in the pickup bed between the tailgate and the hitch. Find water, fill bladder, pump into trailer, fold empty bladder (hardly takes any room) and store it away. The 12v pumps are slow. Everything can be purchased online.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:31 PM   #20
xrated

OK.....an update for what I posted in #11. I did check when I got home and on my Toy Hauler (Impact 303), there is a city water fill with a small screen in it and you have to hook a hose to it. Further up towards the front of the trailer is a lockable hatch door and there is where the fresh water fill is. It's a cap that you take off, stick a nozzle or water hose or ???? down inside it and let 'er rip....totally gravity fed. Right next to that fill port, in behind the same door, is a vent for the tank. I was 99.9% sure, so I didn't know!

Tags
water