Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
CrazyCain

Conflicting readings on TPMS on TV vs maunal air gauge check

So, i swapped out tires on my 2011 Silverado 1500. Went from OEM 245/70/17's to 265/70/17 Coopers AT3's. Checking the air pressure today, i filled them to a "cold" PSI of 36 using manual guage. I jumped in the truck to go people watching at the Wally World and the TPMS showed the cold tire pressure as 44psi.. Pressure went to around 46-47 after driving..checked them at the WW and gauge still measured 36 or a bit above......Got me a wondering if the different tire size confused the puter in the truck or faulty gauge or TPMS....

Side note: Recommended cold TP is 35 max for OEM tires, 44 max for coopers..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Changing tires might change volume of air, but I can't see it changing pressure. Did your manual gauge match the TPMS before?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
CrazyCain

It did with the OEM tires..don't know which one to trust..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 02-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I thought the 2011 Silverado TPMS is a "pass/fail" system that reads pressure only as "good" or "bad" and will turn on the TPMS caution light if it is "bad". Are you using a TPMS that has a digital readout of the actual tire pressure?

If it's the OEM TPMS, you may have to reset it to get the system to read correctly and not give you "false fail" information. Here's a link to the reset for the OEM TPMS: http://www.tpmsdirect.com/Chevrolet_...ions_a/271.htm

If you're using a different TPMS, please post what you're using and maybe someone can give you more accurate advice.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I thought the 2011 Silverado TPMS is a "pass/fail" system that reads pressure only as "good" or "bad" and will turn on the TPMS caution light if it is "bad". Are you using a TPMS that has a digital readout of the actual tire pressure?

If it's the OEM TPMS, you may have to reset it to get the system to read correctly and not give you "false fail" information. Here's a link to the reset for the OEM TPMS: http://www.tpmsdirect.com/Chevrolet_...ions_a/271.htm

If you're using a different TPMS, please post what you're using and maybe someone can give you more accurate advice.
Nope, it is the OEM TPMS that came on the truck.. Thanks for the link, i will check it out!! Heading up north here in a bit, will check the linkout at the trailer

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 02-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I sure do like my old technology when it comes to some things.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #7
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I sure do like my old technology when it comes to some things.

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 02-24-2017, 02:19 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

From what it's worth, ALWAYS TRUST YOUR OWN EYES !!!! If you have a manual gauge that you trust, then believe it.

A personal experience. I was making rounds in ICU one evening, there was a new nurse monitoring a patient. The EKG monitor "flatlined" and all the bells and whistles were going nuts... The new nurse was in a panic trying to call a code and do basic life support until the crash cart was in the room. I looked at the patient, he was awake, scared to death from all the panic. I looked at the EKG monitor and the leads had pulled out of the plugin. There was NOTHING wrong with the patient and had the nurse done a basic check, she would have seen the patient was not flatlining, but was talking and not in distress.

Moral, don't always believe the "smart machines"...... when in doubt, refer to your "known good tools" to assess the situation...

Good Luck. We just had a thunderstorm pass over us, sleet, snow, rain, thunder and lightening all within a 2 minute period. It's clear now and the roads are just wet, but in good condition. Drive carefully, it'll get slick when the temp falls after dark !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:25 PM   #9
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
From what it's worth, ALWAYS TRUST YOUR OWN EYES !!!! If you have a manual gauge that you trust, then believe it.

A personal experience. I was making rounds in ICU one evening, there was a new nurse monitoring a patient. The EKG monitor "flatlined" and all the bells and whistles were going nuts... The new nurse was in a panic trying to call a code and do basic life support until the crash cart was in the room. I looked at the patient, he was awake, scared to death from all the panic. I looked at the EKG monitor and the leads had pulled out of the plugin. There was NOTHING wrong with the patient and had the nurse done a basic check, she would have seen the patient was not flatlining, but was talking and not in distress.

Moral, don't always believe the "smart machines"...... when in doubt, refer to your "known good tools" to assess the situation..

Good Luck. We just had a thunderstorm pass over us, sleet, snow, rain, thunder and lightening all within a 2 minute period. It's clear now and the roads are just wet, but in good condition. Drive carefully, it'll get slick when the temp falls after dark !!!!!
Went with the old school gadget and all went well on the drive north. Hit a massive thunder/rain storm beyween Flint and Saginaw.. yeeowwwza!!! Rain/lightening and thunder like the dickens..chilling in the rig having afew cold ones! Thanks for the advice all

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 02-25-2017, 05:27 AM   #10
bsmith0404

There are acceptable tolerances in every gadget. The TPMS sensors may be plus or minus a few psi, your gauge is plus or minus a few psi. If the combination is correct foe example the TPMS reading 3 psi above actual, and the gauge reading 3 psi below actual, you would have a 6 psi difference in readings. When I had my 2011 Silverado 2500, I found the TPMS read off from my hand held, but was within 1 psi from the gauges at Discount Tire. I tried another hand held gauge and it matched the TPMS sensors, so I got rid of my old gauge. Think about it, most of them are not an expensive engineered tool with tight tolerances, that's why you can get a gauge for 50 cents or spend $100 or more for a good one. The question is how close do you need to be to actual?

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote