Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2016, 07:05 AM   #1
GMcKenzie

RV Insurance for BC residents

Was renewing my truck insurance last night and they wanted to sell me the Road-Star stuff, which I don't really need, but it got me thinking.

What happens if your on holidays, trailer is parked and you hit something (deer, elk, old person taking too long in the crosswalk). I know the truck is covered but how would you get the trailer home.

From the answer (and the initial puzzled looks), ICBC does not include this kind of coverage in any of their policies.

So my questions (and this really only applies to Canada and maybe only BC), what kind of 3rd party insurance do some of you have? My trailer is covered under my home insurance (TD), but it seems like I'd be SOL at getting it home and really doubt any rental vehicle I get would be able to tow (or allowed to tow).

Is BCAA worth it for this?

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #2
Voyager

Good question, I never thought of that situation, BCAA might be able to answer it.
2 Champion 2000's
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:41 PM   #3
FSS

Mine is also tied to my home insurance. It's with Intact and it does cover towing if the TV is an accident. I'm surprised that TD doesn't include that. I've been with Chutter and Aviva also, and they both included that in their policy.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:22 AM   #4
concours

We also have Intact insurance and also have a GOOD SAM policy that covers our family vehicles and our trailer, the reason that we purchased the GOOD SAM is that we met a couple from hope BC that had exactly that problem and had their trailer returned to their home
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #5
spokedintheeye

I have RV coverage under my BCAA membership that covers the towing...but I didn't know I could cover the trailer under my home insurance? Tell me more...my insurance went up 3 fold this year after buying a new trailer.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
spokedintheeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #6
Steve S

I don't have my trailer under my home insurance as there's more coverage if I just go through ICBC. I have BCAA on trailer and the vehicles as a package deal. From what I understand is that BCAA will tow the trailer to the nearest dealership or to my home. As for towing the truck home they won't do that unless I'm 100 kms from my place.
I've had BCAA for yrs and it beats any of those road star deals plus I've never had to wait hrs or days for help as I've heard that can happen with road star.
I think that I pay $500.00 a yr for the trailer and that covers everything right down to my socks if they ever get stolen.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:55 PM   #7
FSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I don't have my trailer under my home insurance as there's more coverage if I just go through ICBC.
I'm not sure I understand your first sentence. The ICBC portion (mandatory) is separate from the optional insurance. They don't even offer optional insurance for TT's.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #8
spokedintheeye

I have optional insurance for my TT through BCAA. It was just slightly cheaper than ICBC.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
spokedintheeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #9
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSS View Post
I'm not sure I understand your first sentence. The ICBC portion (mandatory) is separate from the optional insurance. They don't even offer optional insurance for TT's.
If you go through a private insurance company there's different options is what I should've said