Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2015, 04:12 AM   #1
T11ravis

2nd AC- brand/vendor suggestions?

Did a search but didn't find too much.

Just did a week in Foley, AL and got the greenlight from the boss for AC #2. Our Raptor is prepped and I've talked to a few people who did the install themselves, seems pretty straightforward. Hardest part seems to be getting the thing on the roof...

My question is about the actual product and where to buy it. What brand? Any I should avoid? Which vendor (PPL, etc.)?
Thanks!
WERA #13

'13 Raptor 300mp
'11 F350 6.7L CC DRW FX4
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:30 AM   #2
Seabee

Here is something take into consideration when the Boss's opinion holds weight. Just make your second A/C unit match the first one. I just had my second A/C installed last week. My first A/C is a Coleman/Mach. I was looking at the new Dometic for the second. Showed the Boss a picture of the Dometic, god knows I love her, and her exact words were "But it doesn't match the first one." Good copy Boss lady. Reckon I'm putting another Coleman/Mach up there.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:32 AM   #3
Mr30RLI

Subscribed.

Thinking about the same thing. Tired of dragging the 50 amp cord around for nothing...

X2 on the gotta match, inside and out.

Frank

Mr30RLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:44 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not sure where or how you store your Raptor, but consider whether or not you'll have clearance problems with a "full height" A/C in the front vent. If you are limited to a lower height requirement, look at the "low profile" units. If not, then it's pretty much a "dealer's choice" kind of decision. Good Luck with the installation. It'll sure help you "keep your cool" on warm summer days

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:37 AM   #5
puresilver66

We just installed a 3rd unit over garage on our Raptor. Installed an Atwood 13500 btu unit. It is a remote controlled unit with digital thermostat. Very pleased with quality and sound level. 2nd unit in previous camper was loud and made it hard to sleep with it running. Just my 2 cents
puresilver66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Our 2nd AC was a Dometic Penguin II. Bought it for the low profile and it works great - you would have loved it in Alabama. It's a bit loud but I've not found one that isn't..
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
Pull Toy

If you're thinking about a "dealer install", get a quote on the Dual Zone Dometic Thermostat upgrade! It's great to run the bedroom a/c while in the living room watching TV, and vice versa. Then set the zone 1 / zone 2 temps... and let the computer do its magic!

If you are an advanced do it y'urselfer you might be able to do it yourself.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:02 PM   #8
Stew

Just had Camping World in Gulf Breeze do mine. Had a Penguin II 13.5k installed, rv was already prepped. Haven't picked it up yet but, going camping at Blackwater River this weekend near Holt, Fl. I'll let you know how it works. Their install fee was $111 and I thought that was worth my time plus having to get up on the roof in 100+ heat index while timing afternoon Florida rainstorms.
2015 303RLS
[SIGPIC]
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:30 PM   #9
Stew

Update: a/c worked great. Heat index made it to 110 and camper stayed nice and cool, even with the door getting opened and closed several times. Actually had a friend sitting outside when the door opened and he commented that he could feel the cold from the picnic table...the unit fan does run the entire time and compressor cycles as needed. The DW and I however liked the "white" noise in the morning to drown out the outside noises while sleeping. During setup we turned both units on and the camper was cool, 75'ish, within 30 minutes. Next mod will be to change the wiring so it can run off the coach when we have 50a service or a separate cable when the campground only has 30a service and I can run the 2nd a/c off the 20a outlets....
2015 303RLS
[SIGPIC]
Old 07-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #10
Desert185

We went with a Dometic 13,500 over the B/R because it matched. Trailer sits level when towed, so vertical clearance wasn't an issue. Works good.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:42 AM   #11
T11ravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Update: a/c worked great. Heat index made it to 110 and camper stayed nice and cool, even with the door getting opened and closed several times. Actually had a friend sitting outside when the door opened and he commented that he could feel the cold from the picnic table...the unit fan does run the entire time and compressor cycles as needed. The DW and I however liked the "white" noise in the morning to drown out the outside noises while sleeping. During setup we turned both units on and the camper was cool, 75'ish, within 30 minutes. Next mod will be to change the wiring so it can run off the coach when we have 50a service or a separate cable when the campground only has 30a service and I can run the 2nd a/c off the 20a outlets....
Sitting here in Ft. Pickens currently, wishing that 2nd unit was already In...
I am intrigued by the wiring configuration you described, sounds like a great idea. Can you describe it to me even though I am an electrical idiot?
WERA #13

'13 Raptor 300mp
'11 F350 6.7L CC DRW FX4
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #12
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by T11ravis View Post
Sitting here in Ft. Pickens currently, wishing that 2nd unit was already In...
I am intrigued by the wiring configuration you described, sounds like a great idea. Can you describe it to me even though I am an electrical idiot?
Have thrown around a couple plans between a relay that does it automatically or a switch that I would operate to decide which it uses. Haven't gotten into the final design yet since I don't want to change anything while it's still under warranty til next Jan.
Can keep it simple to use 30a cord from pedestal to coach pass through separate installed breaker to the switch then up to the a/c. When using 50a power will come from the present breaker into the same switch then up to the a/c. Use the switch to determine power source and don't have to worry about having both power sources cross or a connection that is hot and exposed.
May use double pole, double throw switch and wire a/c load to center terminals and power sources to othe terminals, backwards than normal where it is designed to take single power source and route to either a or b circuit.
Like I said still tossing it around but want it simple. Will update with wiring dig ram, parts list and pics when I get it done.
2015 303RLS
[SIGPIC]
Old 08-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #13
TallEddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Have thrown around a couple plans between a relay that does it automatically or a switch that I would operate to decide which it uses. Haven't gotten into the final design yet since I don't want to change anything while it's still under warranty til next Jan.
Can keep it simple to use 30a cord from pedestal to coach pass through separate installed breaker to the switch then up to the a/c. When using 50a power will come from the present breaker into the same switch then up to the a/c. Use the switch to determine power source and don't have to worry about having both power sources cross or a connection that is hot and exposed.
May use double pole, double throw switch and wire a/c load to center terminals and power sources to othe terminals, backwards than normal where it is designed to take single power source and route to either a or b circuit.
Like I said still tossing it around but want it simple. Will update with wiring dig ram, parts list and pics when I get it done.
Please do update. I was about to search this forum to do the same thing. My RV is prewired for a second AC, which I will install next spring. I want to be able to run both AC's if necessary in campgrounds that only have 30 AMP service.

I had two thoughts. First was to use a transfer switch (like the ones for a generator) for the 2nd AC circuit. It would swtich between the coach power, when 50A is available, and the 20A from the pedestal if 50A is not available.

My other thought, which I don't really like. Run a wire from the breaker for the 2nd ac to a female outlet, and connect the wire running to the 2nd ac to a male outlet. Use a short heavy duty cord as a jumper between the two outlets when the coach has 50A service. Otherwise, remove the jumper and run a heavy duty extension cord from the male outlet to the pedestal.
TallEddie is offline   Reply With Quote