Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
Cfoxtrot

Let there be light!

After a few trips out with our Bullet it became apparent that we needed more light under the awning. So I purchased a 300 LED strip light from amazon and mounted it under the awning. I wired directly into the porch light so when the porch light is on, the LED strip light is on. I soldered the power wires to the strip in the middle of the strip right above the light which worked out great.

This is the LED strip I ordered... LIGHTS

Now when I flip the switch for the porch light you can here the Divine Music From the Heavens as I speak the words "Let there be light"! I tested it last night and wow, what a difference, you could read under the awning now. I just ordered a remote dimmer for them as I don't think I need that much light all the time and this also will allow me to shut off the LEDs all together if I want. I plan on mounting the dimmer inside the porch light.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150608-00871.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	8775

Name:	IMG-20150608-00873.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	8776

2013 Bullet 281BHS
2016 F150 SCREW 5.0
Cfoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #2
4LowNGo

Looks good, that's exactly how I want to do some with my Bullet.
4LowNGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:27 PM   #3
bigbadbob17

Looks like you used some sort of tape wire to run up to the led? I think I have seen this for home audio speakers.
bigbadbob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:29 AM   #4
Cfoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbob17 View Post
Looks like you used some sort of tape wire to run up to the led? I think I have seen this for home audio speakers.
Yes Sir, it's just white electrical tape. I was going to use some plastic wire channel but it's only 4 or 5 inches and I happened to have the tape in the toolbox. With the small wire, the tape seems less obtrusive then the wire channel would be.

2013 Bullet 281BHS
2016 F150 SCREW 5.0
Old 06-11-2015, 05:52 AM   #5
GaryWT

Looks good. Have thought about doing something but to date...nothing.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:44 AM   #6
Rancehood

Smile

Let us know how the dimmer install goes! I just ordered the same light kit for our 29RTPR Premier Bullet.

Along with the LED's I ordered this controller from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00
Rancehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:48 AM   #7
GMcKenzie

Has anyone installed a warm light strip?

I've looked at some in the campground and they all seem too bright for my tastes. I'm just looking for something more subdued and am wondering if the warm gives enough light without being so bright?

I'm thinking of tapping off the security light so I can control with the remote.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:55 AM   #8
BirchyBoy

OP - how do you think these lights would work attached to the aluminum roller bar that the fabric rolls on? Are they smooth or does each one protrude from the backing?
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
Cfoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancehood View Post
Let us know how the dimmer install goes! I just ordered the same light kit for our 29RTPR Premier Bullet.

Along with the LED's I ordered this controller from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00
That's the same controller/dimmer I ordered. I will let you how it goes.

2013 Bullet 281BHS
2016 F150 SCREW 5.0
Old 06-11-2015, 08:21 AM   #10
Cfoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
OP - how do you think these lights would work attached to the aluminum roller bar that the fabric rolls on? Are they smooth or does each one protrude from the backing?
They are fairly smooth as there is a silicone coating over everything. It is about 1/8 inch thick but it would probably work fine. Now running power to them out there is a different story.

EDIT: I added a couple of close up pictures so that you can see what they look like...

Name:	P1030643.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	8780

Name:	P1030645.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	8781

2013 Bullet 281BHS
2016 F150 SCREW 5.0
Old 06-12-2015, 07:10 AM   #11
Rancehood

Do you have any pictures showing how the connection was made to the porch light?
Old 06-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #12
Cfoxtrot

Quote:
Do you have any pictures showing how the connection was made to the porch light?
I will try to post something tomorrow.

2013 Bullet 281BHS
2016 F150 SCREW 5.0
Old 06-13-2015, 08:05 AM   #13
Cfoxtrot

Quote:
Ok as promised here ar a couple of pics...

What I did was, for the Pos wire, there was enough wire to use a solder-less crimp wire splice connector(Blue). For the ground connection, it's hard to tell from the picture, I simply soldered it to the ground connection on the fixture. Using a hot nail I melted a hole in the top of the fixture ran the wire straight to the led light strip and then soldered it to the light strip. I taped the wire to the side of the camper with white electrical tape and sealed the solder connection on the light strip as well as the hole in the top of the light with some white silicone. I left the wires long in the fixture as I will be installing the remote dimmer module in there, once that's done i will clean up the wiring.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Name:	P1030659.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	8803

Name:	P1030657.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	8804

2013 Bullet 281BHS
2016 F150 SCREW 5.0
Old 06-14-2015, 04:33 AM   #14
pezboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
I have the strip attached to the aluminum roller. I love it! I have a remote controller for it, which allows me to dim it. My TT has a switched 110v outlet high on the side of the exterior wall for awning lights. I wanted to be able to use the lights even when boondocking, so I changed the outlet to have it fed by 12v by changing wires at the switch (easy because right next to other 12v switches). (this results in a 12v outlet that looks like a 110v outlet. To connect the lights, I cut off the female end of a short white 110v extension cord and put a male 12v plug on the end. I put a female 12v plug on the end of the light strip and plug it into the remote controller, which plugs into the extension cord. I velcro the extension cord to the top the awning arm to hide it. The other end of the extension cord gets plugged into the outlet.

This results in awning lights that have their own switch. I can also leave the switch on and just use the remote. Dimming the lights is nice because they are so bright. I like that I could put them on the roller so they point down a little bit. Focuses light on the ground rather than in your eyes. When done camping, I unplug everything and the light strip rolls right up in the awning!
pezboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:34 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Pezboy,

First of all, welcome to the forum.

Functionally, your adaption of a 110 volt extension cord to be powered by a 120 volt "modified" plug which operates on 12 VDC system may sound like a "good idea," but please be very careful that someone who is camping with you and unfamiliar with your "modified setup" could plug that "cut off extension cord" into a live 120 volt outlet. Should that happen, your LED strip lights and remote controller will probably "go up in smoke". If you're lucky and can unplug it soon enough, hopefully you'll be able to save your awning and the trailer from the same fate.

Please be very cautious using 120 volt extension cords to power 12 volt equipment. That's an easy way to create a very unsafe situation !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #16
pezboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Pezboy,

First of all, welcome to the forum.

Functionally, your adaption of a 110 volt extension cord to be powered by a 120 volt "modified" plug which operates on 12 VDC system may sound like a "good idea," but please be very careful that someone who is camping with you and unfamiliar with your "modified setup" could plug that "cut off extension cord" into a live 120 volt outlet. Should that happen, your LED strip lights and remote controller will probably "go up in smoke". If you're lucky and can unplug it soon enough, hopefully you'll be able to save your awning and the trailer from the same fate.

Please be very cautious using 120 volt extension cords to power 12 volt equipment. That's an easy way to create a very unsafe situation !!!!!
Understood and good point. My extension cord is short enough that it can only reach the light strip if plugged in to the high 12 volt outlet. I am also working on labeling the cord and outlet. I suppose someone could use an extension cord if they were ambitious....

I may change out the outlet to a typical 12v outlet, I just haven't gotten that far yet... Thanks for the warning... 😉
pezboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:52 AM   #17
Rancehood

Thanks for the close up's. Install of mine is planned this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfoxtrot View Post
Ok as promised here ar a couple of pics...

What I did was, for the Pos wire, there was enough wire to use a solder-less crimp wire splice connector(Blue). For the ground connection, it's hard to tell from the picture, I simply soldered it to the ground connection on the fixture. Using a hot nail I melted a hole in the top of the fixture ran the wire straight to the led light strip and then soldered it to the light strip. I taped the wire to the side of the camper with white electrical tape and sealed the solder connection on the light strip as well as the hole in the top of the light with some white silicone. I left the wires long in the fixture as I will be installing the remote dimmer module in there, once that's done i will clean up the wiring.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Attachment 8803

Attachment 8804

F-150 FX-2 5.0L V8
1992 Hi-Low
2012 Premier Bullet Ultra Light
Old 06-16-2015, 03:35 AM   #18
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfoxtrot View Post
After a few trips out with our Bullet it became apparent that we needed more light under the awning. So I purchased a 300 LED strip light from amazon and mounted it under the awning. I wired directly into the porch light so when the porch light is on, the LED strip light is on. I soldered the power wires to the strip in the middle of the strip right above the light which worked out great.
Cfoxtrot, looks nice. Would encourage you to walk over to your neighbors and look back at your trailer. Many of these light strips can be quite bright. Even in state parks with more room between sites, I've had enough light on my trailer to not need a flashlight to get around. When reading outside, consider a light for your book.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #19
SmittysRV

Good write up! Thx for the information, time to pick out a strip and remote, Thx!!

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #20
Cfoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHaycraft View Post
Cfoxtrot, looks nice. Would encourage you to walk over to your neighbors and look back at your trailer. Many of these light strips can be quite bright. Even in state parks with more room between sites, I've had enough light on my trailer to not need a flashlight to get around. When reading outside, consider a light for your book.
You bet I will, besides that's why I am adding a multi function remote dimmer...so I can set that sucker to "strobe" mode to irritate the obnoxious neighbors!!! Muahahaha!!!!

2013 Bullet 281BHS
2016 F150 SCREW 5.0