Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
hdrolling

What price would you not claim for warranty work?

We just noticed that our folding table latch that adds to our kitchen counter length has a broken latch on one side, about a $10 part shipped free online.

At what cost would you not worry about spending the gas money to go to the dealer and try to get a warranty claim on a broken item?

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
rbev2308

I will tell you the two things my dealer told me. One, in many instances you can send pics and the dealer can work with you and provide an item under warranty and send to you. I have heard from others that you could get paid the labor for doing your own repairs $35 hr or so. Cannot speak totally to that. My dealer said if it is a little item, just wait till the end of the warranty period and bring it back in and address all at once. No brainer if it is major and needs immediate service like a slide issue, roof, major appliance issue, etc.
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
GaryWT

I would give it a shot to get it free from the dealer. Once we needed a new bunk mattress and the dealer just had it shipped directly to us.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #4
GmaPaTime

I myself would work with the dealer on minor stuff. If you can and are willing to replace something yourself and just need the part, I think you would be building a good relationship with the dealer. I'm sure there are some dealers that are just hard nosed, but I would think most would be happy to go half way on that kind of stuff. It might also help when and if something larger happens and you really need them.

Steve
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:16 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

We have submitted claims and received parts under warranty, then just exchange good/bad with customer. Labor wasn't claimed or paid so I can't speak to that.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
x96mnn

Little stuff I take pictures and the part to my dealer and they give me the part for nothing. Now if it is going to cost me more to get there and back not hauling I will replace it myself. That side most minor stuff does not need to be fixed right away and I will wait until I'm going buy or use it as an opertunity to upgrade on mine own

Right now my dealer is a 15 minute drive return but when I moved with a unit three trailers ago it was a 10hr drive return.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:58 AM   #7
therink

I have replaced outside kitchen door that was defective, counter top on bedroom dresser, air mattress that leaked, and defective power awning switch under warranty. I picked up parts at dealer for no charge and installed aall myself. All I had to do was photo document and return defective parts.
It just wasn't worth the hassle for me to drop off the rig and leave for God knows how long.
Also, I trust my workmanship over any work I had done previously at my dealer.
I did have a structural issue once that required welding. I left that one for the dealer to tackle.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:14 AM   #8
byrdr1

I have only taken my camper back for recall work.
Its a 60 mile one way drive. I have fixed my frig with a $80 some dollar part I ordered just to get it done myself.
I fixed my sink side counter top, new kitchen sink and rebuild the drawer slides in that cabinet due to something that happened to me. Now that was a J O B.
I also installed my second step to the bedroom, bath area. With the help, encouragement and pictures from this great group.
Now that mine is out of factory warranty I will being do whatever I need to keep mine going.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:35 AM   #9
hdrolling

My other issue is I don't have a "dealer", bought mine used from a private party. The seller was from Alaska, bought the camper in Michigan and towed it to Florida. I bought it from him in Florida and had it delivered to me here in NC.
So as far as warranty work, does it have to be a Keystone dealer or would a camper world do warranty work? We just received the camper yesterday so I have about 100 manuals that go with it that I have to start going through to learn about all this stuff but the DW wants her kitchen counter top extension fixed now before we start spring break next week.

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 03-31-2015, 07:03 AM   #10
Javi

If I can fix it myself and I don't need to rob the grandkids piggy bank to do it, then I don't worry about it... I got better things to do than deal with a warranty claim or a dealer for little stuff.. Maybe a mattress or some big item but for little stuff not likely.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:39 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
My other issue is I don't have a "dealer", bought mine used from a private party. The seller was from Alaska, bought the camper in Michigan and towed it to Florida. I bought it from him in Florida and had it delivered to me here in NC.
So as far as warranty work, does it have to be a Keystone dealer or would a camper world do warranty work? We just received the camper yesterday so I have about 100 manuals that go with it that I have to start going through to learn about all this stuff but the DW wants her kitchen counter top extension fixed now before we start spring break next week.
hdrolling,

Here is the Keystone warranty transfer statement from the current owner's manual. If you haven't got the original bill of sale/registration from the original purchaser, you might want to contact him to get that or contact Keystone to see if they will accept any other documentation to transfer the warranty from him to you. Here's what's in the owner's manual.

"All owners (original or subsequent) must be properly registered with Keystone RV Company to be considered for eligibility.
This Limited Warranty may be transferred during the one (1) year term by the original consumer purchaser to a subsequent purchaser. The limited one (1) year warranty, however, shall in no way be extended beyond the one (1) year from the original date of purchase by reason of the transfer from the original consumer purchaser to any subsequent purchaser(s). The subsequent purchaser(s) also has an obligation to notify Keystone immediately upon the transfer of the warranty and to further provide proof of purchase within the one (1) year."

There also is this statement in the "dealer's responsibilities" section:
"4. Register your unit with Keystone RV Company within 10 working days from the date of delivery."I don't know if that same time limit applies to warranty transfer or not, so you may find that "time is of the essence" in getting the warranty transferred.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:17 AM   #12
340_Formula_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
If I can fix it myself and I don't need to rob the grandkids piggy bank to do it, then I don't worry about it... I got better things to do than deal with a warranty claim or a dealer for little stuff.. Maybe a mattress or some big item but for little stuff not likely.

Agreed. If you can handle the repair process and or cost, sometimes it is a better solution. The only issue that I have experienced, though a major one, was a torn frame rail. I chose to perform this repair on my own. I felt comfortable enough in dealing with that matter and did not want to go around in circles with a dealer and the factory. In the end, I feel that the job was performed correctly and I experienced zero down time.
340_Formula_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:00 PM   #13
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
hdrolling,

Here is the Keystone warranty transfer statement from the current owner's manual. If you haven't got the original bill of sale/registration from the original purchaser, you might want to contact him to get that or contact Keystone to see if they will accept any other documentation to transfer the warranty from him to you. Here's what's in the owner's manual.

"All owners (original or subsequent) must be properly registered with Keystone RV Company to be considered for eligibility.
This Limited Warranty may be transferred during the one (1) year term by the original consumer purchaser to a subsequent purchaser. The limited one (1) year warranty, however, shall in no way be extended beyond the one (1) year from the original date of purchase by reason of the transfer from the original consumer purchaser to any subsequent purchaser(s). The subsequent purchaser(s) also has an obligation to notify Keystone immediately upon the transfer of the warranty and to further provide proof of purchase within the one (1) year."

There also is this statement in the "dealer's responsibilities" section:
"4. Register your unit with Keystone RV Company within 10 working days from the date of delivery."I don't know if that same time limit applies to warranty transfer or not, so you may find that "time is of the essence" in getting the warranty transferred.

Good Luck.
Thanks, I read this today while at the camping area going through all the paper work. I hope I can get transferred even though I only have a couple months left before it expires.

Retired Army, 22yrs