Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Locowrench

Ramp door patio kit

I asked my dealer if the patio door is the same door as the non patio door and they are different, part numbers are different. Looking at the Lippert website they say that you can not retrofit that patio on a regular door. Has anyone been able to do that, make your regular door into a patio using the cables? I really wanted to be able to us the door as a patio minus the fencing.

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Locowrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:11 AM   #2
Hercules1978

It's the cable system that makes the door different. It "might" be possible to modify the trailer to adapt to the patio style door, but I'd imaging that your trailer isn't framed for the support structure.

The only way to work around this is to bring along a set of jack stands and prop the door up.
Hercules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Not as simple as hanging cables, propping up ramp with jacks,adding rails,etc. At a minimum its a reinforced ramp. There have been a few posts on this same topic including basic ramp issues. Suggest. Doing a search for ramp, patio,etc. My personal experience with the patio option is included in one of the posts.

Recommend some research before considering your own mod.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
MBD

Although I think the concept is really cool - we both believe that the ramp option is a great way to allow a lot of dirt and other stuff inside. Beyond the dirt, we really appreciate the relief from the heat the AC provides. After careful review, very happy that we did not get the patio option (or my ingenious tinkering to make our own)!
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:56 PM   #5
Locowrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Not as simple as hanging cables, propping up ramp with jacks,adding rails,etc. At a minimum its a reinforced ramp. There have been a few posts on this same topic including basic ramp issues. Suggest. Doing a search for ramp, patio,etc. My personal experience with the patio option is included in one of the posts.

Recommend some research before considering your own mod.
That is it exactly. I spoke with Lippert directly and the patio door is built stronger. I questioned them about it because of my past experience with the door failing because of my Goldwing.

As far as the unit being equipped to support a patio door, it has the angle peaces at the top corners of the door frame for the cables connections.

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Old 10-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
crash

Ours came stock with the rear patio and a side patio and the dogs love it ,Oh and we love it to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	544.jpg
Views:	1243
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	7251  
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
skdooman2004

rear patio

well Crash, I don't care what anyone says that is super cool!!!! very nice unit!
skdooman2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:12 AM   #8
crash

Thanks very much .
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
Locowrench

Keystone is saying the trailers that are built to have a patio kit option actually have a different door frame built on the trailer that is designed to accept the hardware of the kit in the closed position, otherwise they won't work. My frame has the triangle brackets welded in the upper corners of the frame that are for the cables of the patio kit. I'm not sure why they would be there unless it was designed for that door? The patio door also costs about double that of the standard door. That could be the reason they are trying to "Blow Smoke". Im going to the dealer this weekend with my tape measure to get some answers.

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Old 10-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
gman1966347

I posted this on a earlier post. This was still when I had my Raptor. I have a Montana now. Do it your self. Save you a bunch of money! Here it is...

We have a 299mp as well. I made my own rear/ramp door patio set up. It was really simple.I used all grade 8 fasteners,pins etc. Purchased the .250" cable measured out to be a 10' length coated cable,stainless cable clamps. Made my own pivot brackets.The dealership said that those were a custom order item. I said B.S. I built my own. 2x2 cold rolled steel,approx 4.00" long. Miter off each end at a 45 deg,opposite. Cut out the remaining sliver that remained. Drilled a .375" hole for a grade 8 pin so that the support cable can go thru and hold the door up. On the underside of the door there is a rubber bumper. I set a slide out support stand just for extra support. We have no railing, and no kids. It works beautifully for my wife and I. We get compliments all of the time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic 126.jpg
Views:	1847
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	7299   Click image for larger version

Name:	misc pics 330.jpg
Views:	3523
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	7300  
gman1966347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
Locowrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1966347 View Post
I posted this on a earlier post. This was still when I had my Raptor. I have a Montana now. Do it your self. Save you a bunch of money! Here it is...

We have a 299mp as well. I made my own rear/ramp door patio set up. It was really simple.I used all grade 8 fasteners,pins etc. Purchased the .250" cable measured out to be a 10' length coated cable,stainless cable clamps. Made my own pivot brackets.The dealership said that those were a custom order item. I said B.S. I built my own. 2x2 cold rolled steel,approx 4.00" long. Miter off each end at a 45 deg,opposite. Cut out the remaining sliver that remained. Drilled a .375" hole for a grade 8 pin so that the support cable can go thru and hold the door up. On the underside of the door there is a rubber bumper. I set a slide out support stand just for extra support. We have no railing, and no kids. It works beautifully for my wife and I. We get compliments all of the time.
That looks great.

Thats been my plan all along but when I had issues with the door and warranty got involved and I had to put all that on the back burner because the door was replaced. Ive since found out that the patio door and the regular door are different. Now Im working on getting them to replace it with the patio door. So until they do their thing Im kinda in limbo with it. I would rather not have the rails either, thats the way my last on was.

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Old 11-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #12
Canam

Here's a couple of picks from my patio Mod's. I don't plan on having a party on the deck, but I figured if the door is rated for a single contact of 1000lbs and can handle a bike or UTV driving up and down it, it can handle a couple of dogs or kids sitting on it.

Better yet material cost me about $60 instead of $2600 for the patio option. Another $40 if we put up the plastic fence I got at Target to keep the dogs in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0739.jpg
Views:	2627
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	7396   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0740.jpg
Views:	1175
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	7397  
Canam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #13
skdooman2004

rear ramp

I would like to see it with the fence up.
skdooman2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #14
Locowrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canam View Post
Here's a couple of picks from my patio Mod's. I don't plan on having a party on the deck, but I figured if the door is rated for a single contact of 1000lbs and can handle a bike or UTV driving up and down it, it can handle a couple of dogs or kids sitting on it.

Better yet material cost me about $60 instead of $2600 for the patio option. Another $40 if we put up the plastic fence I got at Target to keep the dogs in.
That looks nice. How did you anchor that eye bolt to the door? What did you use for a guide to determine where you installed the bolts?

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Old 11-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #15
Canam

The Bottom brackets that attach to the door are actually anchors used in the pocket of a pick-up truck bed to tie down cargo etc. You can buy them from any auto store. Mine cost about $12 and came with 4 anchors and 4 tie straps in the package. I used the chrome eye, threaded rod, Chrome plate and threaded base plate, and discarded the rubber blocks from the package. The chrome acorn nuts are from the hardware store, and capped of the threaded rod without cutting (lucky on the length of the threaded rod).

Once I made up my cables with all the attachments, I leveled the door with the trailer and drilled my holes at a location that would hold the door level with cables tight. The cable is vinyl coated and came from a hardware store, and I just crimped it with a swag tool.

The only time now that we take the cables off, is if we are loading something and need the ramp. Otherwise the cables stay attached and the door closes fine.

I did see another post with someone using a threaded stand in the middle of the door when it was in use for a patio. If the cables alone make a person nervous, it would be a good mod for extra security. I haven't had any problems yet with just the cables, and we had about 500 - 600lbs on the edge of the door. (we changed out the couch, so 2 people and the weight of a recliner couch)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0744.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	7425  
Old 11-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #16
Canam

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdooman2004 View Post
I would like to see it with the fence up.
Sorry, I can't find any pics with the fence up. I found the fence in the kids area at target (if you have to fence in your kids I guess??? lol), and my wife found another set at a garage sale.
The sections are all interchangable, so you can make the fence as long or short as you need.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #17
Locowrench

I thought those rings looked familiar, nice job! That is the way I will do mine when I get that far. Ive got to get that door replaced first which will happen very soon. Thanks a bunch for the info.

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Old 11-13-2014, 03:49 AM   #18
abneynormal

at bike rallys

ive seen a lot of people add cables and use it as a patio with no rails or make jack stands work for a platform for their stripper poles. yes they have lights stereos and women on them.