Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2014, 07:00 AM   #1
ocho

What may be the problem with my battery

I check the level of the battery and the water level was good. When i put a meter on the terminals it showed only 11.5 volts and the battery was in a discharged state. I would think the inverter would put out least 13 to 14 volts to charge the battery. Is it possible that the 12 volt charging portion of the inverter has failed? It works for everything else, just doesnt charge the battery.
ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #2
Bluewater

Do your lites and water pump work? How old is the battery and age and type of rv? Just more info please.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Your battery would be my "prime suspect". Take it out, go to AutoZone (or a similar store) and have it load tested. Chances are that even though the "water level is full" there's either a shorted cell or another internal issue. It could be the converter/charger, but if it powers the trailer's 12 VDC system, it's at least operating. I'd check the battery first.

With the battery disconnected, the converter should be putting out about 13 VDC. If it is, then it's probably good. Batteries sometimes don't last even 1 year. That's your first suspect.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #4
ocho

The battery is a month old. Last one shorted a cell. It's a 2012 raptor 300mp. Everything 12 volt works. The battery charges just fine on a trickle charger. I just read th manuals and there some fuses associated with the 12 volt side of the inverter.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If the "last one shorted a cell" and this one also has issues, it may be a "bad converter", but there's really no way to tell without doing the appropriate troubleshooting. First, look at the fuses, then go on to the TS guide in the manual.

There are two "green" reverse polarity fuses in the converter. On older models they were on the side of the converter box, on newer models they are between the 110 breakers and the 12V fuse panel. Check them, if they are good, then do the troubleshooting steps in your WFCO owner's manual. If the TS steps show the charge circuit is bad, I believe WFCO has a 2 year warranty. If out of warranty, you don't need to buy a new "panel" but just the converter box that fits behind it. Progressive also makes a converter panel that is a 1:1 exchange for the WFCO.

If you don't have (or can't find your owner's manual) it's online at the WFCO website.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
ocho

Just to clarify. The lights were dim when the battery was low on voltage. I hooked up the trickle charger that i brought from home. By the end of the day the battery was charged and lights were bright.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
ocho

What i thought was the inverter was the transfer module. Any ideas where they mount the inverter so i can check the fuses?
Old 08-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

What you are looking for is the converter/charger. That is what converts ac power to 12v dc and charges the battery. It is located in or behind your circuit breaker/fuse panel. Make sure the breaker marked CON or CONVERTER or CON/RECEPT is in the on position and as mentioned follow trouble shooting instructions from there. Good luck and let us know what you find, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

First, to clarify a bit of "terminology" there is no "INVERTER" in your RV (unless you installed a free standing inverter unit).

INVERTERS change 12VDC to 120VAC
CONVERTERS change 120VAC to 12VDC.

As for location, the "CONVERTER" in most RV's is an integral part of the power distribution panel. On some, the converter is mounted separately and where you'll find it varies from unit to unit.

If you open the access door on the power distribution panel, you'll find the circuit breakers on one side and the 12 VDC fuses on the other. You may find the two "reverse polarity fuses between them. Or you may find the reverse polarity fuses behind the circuit breakers, mounted on the converter box.

Here's a picture of the "current model fuse position". The reverse polarity fuses in this picture are red, usually they are green.

note: this picture is from the internet, not my trailer. There are several "overfused" circuits in this picture and they are safety hazards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO FUSE LOCATION.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	6822  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #10
ocho

All corrct on the language. Its a converter. Heres a pic of mine. I can't find the reverse polarity fuses and i cant actually locate the converter it's self. Behind the breaker panel pictured the wires go into the wall. So i can't see the actual converter. Any ideas as to where it might b located?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00580.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	6823  
Old 08-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocho View Post
All corrct on the language. Its a converter. Heres a pic of mine. I can't find the reverse polarity fuses and i cant actually locate the converter it's self. Behind the breaker panel pictured the wires go into the wall. So i can't see the actual converter. Any ideas as to where it might b located?
Usually directly below the distribution center. That's a WFCO unit here is a link to their website. http://www.wfcoelectronics.com/UI/Default.aspx
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:34 AM   #12
ocho

When you say Distribution panel, are you talking the panel with the breakers and fuses? Like the pic I sent?
Old 09-20-2014, 06:41 AM   #13
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocho View Post
When you say Distribution panel, are you talking the panel with the breakers and fuses? Like the pic I sent?
Yes........
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:52 AM   #14
ocho

Ok, Im gonna get into this a little further this weekend. For now im using a separate charger/trickle charger that I use at home in the garage. I just plug it into the exterior AC receptacle and run it into the battery compartment. Works great, but not right. I still have not found the convertor tho
Old 09-20-2014, 06:59 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

There are four #2 square drive screws in the flange around your power distribution center. "UNPLUG SHORE POWER AND DISCONNECT THE BATTERY" and then remove those 4 screws. Once you do that, you should be able to wiggle the power distribution center out of its mounting location. Once it's out, you should see the converter mounted to the lower rear part of the power center.

You do not have to remove the power distribution center to do the troubleshooting steps in the WFCO manual. The two battery/12 VDC terminals on the front of the fuse panel are your test points.

It will look something like this:
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-20-2014, 07:11 AM   #16
ocho

Wow, thats small. I had the PD panel out looking for something much larger. Ha! I'm hoping that the reverse polarity fuse are mounted there as they are not on the distribution panel. Thanks for the help. Let y'all know.