Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
sleeplightly

cable tv help with connections

After reading through several threads I still have not found what I am looking for so here it goes. On the outside of the tt I have two cable coax connections, one is labeled sat prep and the other is not labeled at all. Inside in the kids bunk room I have two connections and behind the tv in the front room I have two connections but in the master bedroom I only have one connection. Now if I connect to the sat prep with the park cable I can get cable tv in the bunk room and the front room but not the master. If I connect to the other connection outside I get no cable in any outlets. So can anyone tell me if the connection in the Master is capable of getting cable? Also just for info purposes the booster switch is in the bunk room. I am confused as to why there are two connections outside. The tt in question in a sprinter 32bhs. Again thanks in advance
sleeplightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:25 AM   #2
GaryWT

One connection is for cable and one is if you have a dish. They are either labeled wrong thus no cable in the bedroom or the outside connections are connected wrong just inside the trailer thus no dish in the bedroom. I don't know much about dish so I do not know why both cannot use the same cable.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:37 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Sat requires a different cable than TV/ cable. Normal is for the sat to be RG6 and the antenna/cable to be RG59.

I agree with your comment that they may be mislabeled. I've seen a few that the connector wasn't crimped right and the cable has fallen out, or there were "whiskers" of the shielding grounding out the signal wire.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
Tbos

Use a multimeter and some shorting pins to figure out where the outside jacks go inside. FYI, on my Passport I have to have the booster turned off to use cable. I expect its the same for you for both satellite and cable. Good luck.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #5
MarkS

If you don't know how to use a MultiMeter and shorts, you can buy a coax tracing tool from the one of the big box hardware stores. Klein makes one for about $30. Make yourself a sketch of what connects to what.

Attached is my sketch of the coax in my trailer.

In my trailer, the unmarked outside connector was the cable / antenna to the bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrailerCable.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	6796  

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
superbob

The unmarked connector on my trailer went to my living room tv. My marked connector went to my bedroom.
1997 Glastron Fish n Ski 3.0l
superbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
outwest

make sure the antenna booster switch is turned off. Will either be a slide switch or a pushbutton switch and will be next to the same antenna outlet that has a 12V cigarette lighter style outlet on the plate. LED will be either red or green, but LED on is booster on, unlit is off.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote