Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2014, 02:55 AM   #1
bsmith0404

Vacation Blues

Sitting at a stop light yesterday, there was a very nice tri-axle Raptor coming the other way sitting across from me. I was admiring the unit, looked like a very nice set up with nice 3500 DRW TV. Then he made a right turn and I saw where it appeared a tree branch must have fallen on the roof. About half way down the side it was caved in with about a 1' indention into the roof and side wall. I'm sure a victim of the storms here in the Midwest last week. I never paid much attention to trees at RV sights in the past other than making sure I could get my slides out. In fact, I always preferred a sight with trees. My views have changed since seeing this beautiful RV pretty much destroyed. I couldn't help, but feel sorry for him as I thought about how much we are looking forward to upcoming trips now that the weather is finally getting better after this long winter.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:43 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Last year we went to our "favorite fishin' hole" for our anniversary. We parked the fifth wheel in one of two of our preferred sites in the state forest campground and set up for a week of relaxation. Launched the boat and decided to take a quick run around the lake to see how things looked at our favorite places to fish. About halfway across the lake (maybe 2 miles) the sky suddenly turned black and before we could even turn around to head back we were in 3' waves with sleet and high winds. It was over in less than a couple of minutes and the sun came out, clam water but we were soaked. We headed back to the boat launch, tied up to a tree and started walking up the path to the trailer to change clothes and get warm. There were a couple of trees across the road from the campground to the launch... Hmmmm oh well, I could drag them out of the way with the truck tomorrow...

We crested the hill and saw the trailer with a 40' tall tree laying on top of it. I thought, DAMN..... I unlocked the door so my DW could go in to change while I backed the truck up next to the trailer to get on top. While I was getting into the truck, my DW screamed. I ran into the trailer to find her standing there looking at several big branches that had punctured the roof and were sticking through dripping water and moss all over the inside.

Things were a mess. I went back out, got on the roof and after cutting the tree into manageable size pieces I got it off the roof. There were a total of about 10 holes that I could stick my arm through into the trailer.

So, yes, it can happen in an instant. Our week long camping trip actually lasted less than 3 hours.

We got the Springdale repaired, traded it in and our first trip with the new Cougar was to that same lake, same RV site. After all, the dead trees were down, we felt safe LOL

It's really an eye opener to realize just how fragile these RV's really are in that type of situation. They may be "sturdy" bouncing down the road, may even hold together in an accident, but they're no match for a 1500 pound tree.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPRINGDALE ROOF DAMAGE1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	5540   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPRINGDALE ROOF DAMAGE2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	5541   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPRINGDALE ROOF DAMAGE3.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	5542   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPRINGDALE ROOF DAMAGE4.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	5543  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:52 AM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile Whow

Speechless Seems like you did a good thing by going out on the boat rather than being in the trailer at that time. I think after seeing that I may have had the tendency to get back in the boat, paddle out to the middle, and jump in.

Definitely an eye opener! and here I am worried about catching tree limbs with my side ladder.

Thanks for sharring
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

We got a new seasonal site last year. we were next to a big old pine tree. Now we are in an area with no trees. Up side is ! trailer stays cleaner Down side 1 Trailer gets real hot in the sun. upside2 no pine sap on the roof and curb side of the trailer. Down side trailer gets real hot. up side have more space for the dogs and nice couple next door. down side trailer gets real hot. DW complains about heat. I show DW the picture of Johns camper after the storm. DW turns the ac on and says it is a nice spot.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

You're welcome, Barney Trees can be dangerous

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

See some good comes from disaster
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
LuvsPalmTrees

We did not sustain the damage but we had a big storm blow through the campground a year ago and one of the large branches from a tree took out a neighbors camper and the windshield of their tow vehicle. It was a big mess but the family was fine - they went to their friends campsite before the storm. The Rangers helped them pick up the mess - they had someone come out and repair the windshield. They spent the rest of the weekend with their friends.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote