Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
BogWater

Prospective buyer need some help

My wife and i are looking into our first TT. She grew up in them and i have never really experienced this life before so i defer to her as far as what she likes for FPs and different lengths. Now me being the driver i have final say on what i feel comfortable pulling.

Finally found a FP she loves and is big enough while still retaining that cozy feel we are looking for. Its a 2014 Springdale 179QBWE.

Now my question as it is a tad longer then i wanted to tow but in all seriousness its maybe a foot longer from tip to tail then my "max" so im not so concerned about that. And it weighs more then i was thinking i would tow but its not a concern for me pulling it but for my TV being able to handle it.

Our TV is a 2002 F150 supercrew with the 5.4L.

It says on the Keystone brochure and and website that the "shipping" weight is 3963lbs, is this the same as the dry weight of the TT? or is there somewhere else on the trailer i should be looking.

Truck shows a GCWR-12500, GVWR- 6750, and truck weight shows 5110. so a load capacity of 1640lbs(correct)

SO when factoring the max trailer weight i subtract the GCWR from the GVWR? and then also take into account the total weight of my truck and what load capacity i can haul.

For reference its just me and my wife and our Labmix so thats all we would have to load for we tend to pack light as it is so i think this gives us a little more leeway.

Also tongue weight, trucks bumper indicates a 500lb limit and the TT weighs in at 530. Obviously over but will a WDH alleviate this overload?

If im understanding what can and cant be hauled by my truck i think it works but better to ask before i buy and commit to something that wont work.

Thanks Guys!
BogWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
GaryWT

When I started I had a limit of 30 feet with a max of 32. I ended up with a 34 and now have a 35, and they are easy to tow so don't worry about the length. The weight seems to be good, dry weight and shipping weight are similar but could be different, there should be a sticker on the door or inside a cabinet. You will need a tow hitch if you don't have one, you should not tow off you bumper, a pop up or something then the bumper might work but not for a TT.

Welcome to the forum.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #3
BogWater

Thanks im going back to look at it today. My FIL showed me how to use a WDH yesterday so I feel alot more comfortable about it now.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
byrdr1

22ft long with dual tires, supercrew truck. IMHO.... and a good WDH you should be good to go. dont even think about bumper pulling it. A good WDH and a Class 4 hitch under the bumper.
I have seen much longer and heavier trailers pulled by that engine in an Expedition. all the way to charelston, SC from central NC. Had to push him once but that was on I-26 out of Columbia.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There are several considerations that you need to make:

1. Payload of the tow vehicle is 1620. The includes everything from passengers to toolbox in the bed and the WD hitch that you'll need to add for towing. So, there's more to payload than tongue weight of the trailer.

2. The 179QBWE weighs 3963 empty with a tongue weight of 530. That is empty weight. You will never ever see that weight again after it leave the factory. The dealer will add 60 pounds of propane and a battery to the tongue before you pick it up, all that weight will be "tongue weight" so it will really weigh about 4100 with a tongue weight of closer to 640 lbs empty. Then by the time you add your camping gear, clothing, dishes, cooking utensils, food, etc, you will weigh significantly more than the advertised weight. I suggest you consider the "worst case" when determing capability, that way you will have calculated for the heaviest trailer conditons.

The "worst case" means calculating the trailer at GVW and tongue weight at 15%. if you can tow that, you can tow the trailer in any "GVW configuration". That would mean figuring the trailer to weigh 6000 lbs with a tongue weight of 900 lbs. (Empty weight plus carrying capacity = GVW) and (GVW x 15% = Max tongue weight).

3. Your GCWR is 12500, the truck weighs 5110 leaving 7390 for all your equipment, passengers and trailer. The maximum trailer is 6030 so you are within the limits.
Your payload is 1620, the trailer tongue will be about 900 lbs, leaving about 720 lbs for passengers and cargo. If you can carry your normal cargo/passengers within that 720 lbs, you should be OK.

I'd think you will be OK with that selection based on the truck. Keep in mind that with the 4 speed OD transmission you may need to drive in 3rd gear (not in overdrive) if the transmission starts "hunting" or downshifting/upshifting frequently.

Depending on how big your family is, you should be OK with this rig.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
BogWater

Thanks for the replies. Ive done more research on my truck didnt realize it had a tow package installed already so the hitch says with a WDH max tongue is 870. Does that give more wiggle room for our loading capacity? As far as bringing supplies and what not

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

No, it doesn't give you "more" wiggle room, but it does substantiate that you can carry the tongue weight of your future trailer at maximum GVW. (That would be about 900 lbs).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
BogWater

Awesome thanks. I really want to keep this as safe as i possibly can going down the road i know how i feel when i see someone towing a TT that i feel just looking at is way to big for their TV. Its good to hear that i should be within my range of towing capacity.