Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2014, 05:35 AM   #1
jje1960

Extra rv keys

So last year I lost one of the two sets of keys for our 5Ver. Must have left them on the bumper or truck bed.... who knows. At any rate, I called my Dealer and asked simply how to order new keys, I clearly can read the key series no. Ya da ya da.... come here, we will make you keys.... The dealer is an hour each way.... Can't I just order them? Nope.... Wonderful, thanks for your assistance. For giggles (or I thought) I called Keystone directly. Of course sir! Contact Fastec, they do all the keys for Keystone. 5 mins later, keys ordered online. Now why could the Dealer have not just told me that? Maybe I'm just being cynical, however could it possibly be the Dealer is that cheap or just ignorant? One can decide for one self.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:17 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Cynical? I'd say that description is entirely up to you. I'd never call you cynical, but I'd be upset with the dealer just as I'm sure you are....

Why'd the dealer do that? Simple answer: MONEY !!!

When you drive the 100 miles (at your expense) and lay your existing key on the counter, the dealer will make you a couple of keys. He makes maybe $2 profit from each key. So you've "improved" his January totals by $4. We won't mention that you've decreased your January totals by the price of driving the 100 miles as well as paying for the two keys....

Had the dealer told you about ordering from Fastec, he would have "lost" the $4.... We won't mention the "eagerness" he instilled in you to believe his next conversation or next suggestion on how well he can support you as a customer.....

It seems to me, the things we "won't mention" all come out of your pocket, and the things the dealer did mention all go into his pocket..... Hmmmmm

Don't you just "love" some dealerships?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Don't forget about the possible $100 you might spend on rv supplies while waiting in his store as he finds someone to make the keys for you. I can never get out of my dealers without finding something I NEED.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Don't forget about the possible $100 you might spend on rv supplies while waiting in his store as he finds someone to make the keys for you. I can never get out of my dealers without finding something I NEED.
And this exactly why I sent the wife to pick bulbs from the RV place this morning
There's just way too many cool things to buy there
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote