Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
FullTimer

Cool Some Images of the Oklahoma Ice storm/ Dec 21st 2013

We've been getting freezing rain since late last night. We're slightly to the west/ southwest of Tulsa. I awoke at 3:30am this morning and started taking some pictures to document this. I started when the ice was about 1/8th thick. Now it's almost 3/4 inch thick and trees and large limbs have started coming down.
Thousands are without power in Tulsa, all the way to Mounds and Kellyville area in sporadic spots. I thought I would share our situation with you guys. Here's some of the ones I have shot and uploaded to my photo site, enjoy. Just click the link and it will load a slide show and play. The site is where many photographers go to post and share their images

http://retroimages.zenfolio.com/
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Great photos, Sometimes even when things are so devastating, God's work has a way of making it beautiful. Thanks for sharing your photos.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
FullTimer

Thanks JR. I try to find the beauty in everything. Ice has always been one of my favorite things to photograph. Never the same twice.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
BC Canada

Neat Pictures, Thanks for sharing
Old 12-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Nice pics!
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
gearhead

Great pics. I was there for an ice storm about 2006 or 07. Being from Houston I don't have much experience driving on ice. I was there for the Chili Bowl and driving back to the hotel at 1am after the races was quite the fun. Getting home and back to work was an adventure with I-40 iced up & closed.
www.chilibowl.com
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
LittleJoe

In 98 there was a monumental ice storm in eastern ontario. Many thousands were out of power for 3-4 weeks. It was something no-one would ever like to repeat. Most everyone has a heat source that if needed does not require electricity now.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
BobnLee

Ice storm passed through here(Lindsay Ontario) power was out for a couple hours. Genny has already been set up and we didnt miss our coffee. Also used the oil rad heater (electric) kept us warm. Have been talking about a wood stove lately and i think we just might do it. ( I would rather pack up and go to Florida . Son and daughter in Toronto (2 hrs away) got hammered and havent had power since late Saturday night.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
FullTimer

Thanks guys, I was mainly trying to document it. PSO and AEP are out with fiberglass poles trying to clear ice off of lines today. My eldest son just told me the large HV lines, the ones on the towers, are sagging about half way to the ground. He said they were coated with about 2 inches of ice still. Telephone poles are leaning precariously, the wires almost touching the ground. This same storm is hitting from Toronto all the way to the southern coast of the US. It's a beast.
Yep, I endured the 2007/ 08 ice storm, Out of power for 8 days. Great wake up lesson. I saw Tulsa blacked out, shocking to put it mildly. That's when I bought my generator that I still have. I spent a year in Ontario and talked with many who went through the '98 storm there. That was about 9 years ago, the damage was still evident on the trees then.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Dec 2007 ice storm we were in Luther, OK (outside OKC). At 1 a.m. We lost power in our rural, all-electric home. Woke up freezing.

Luckily our Toyhauler had full tanks of 60 gallons of unleaded on board. Had to bang our way in - entry door parked facing north.. Fired up trusty onan 5500, turned on heat, went back to sleep.

Generator on RV ran continuously for 4-5 days.

RV was winterized of course, so we had no water. House all electric, and very rural, so no well-pump...

Took dishes to work and washed. Gathered icicles and melted under generator cooling fan so we could flush house toilet.

About the 4th day, our 60 gallons was nearly done. Drove around for hours looking for a gas station that had electricity to run their pumps.

Bought current house (bartlesville) in Dec 2008. Decided would never have that trouble again... So bought natural gas, automatic standby generator... Power hasn't gone out more than a few hours since. Not even thus storm.

Good? Dunno....

I also bought a shovel after blizzard of 2011.. Haven't received more than an inch or two since.

:shrug:
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
FullTimer

Lol @Sad. Yep I have a shovel now also. I have used my gennie several times in the 105 degree heat, wife has MS, and while everyone else was muttering and complaining, we were nice and cool. Had internet, TV, all of it. Of course, they were going to buy gennies, but few did. I have an adapter built to turn the 30 amp trailer plug into a 4 prong for the gennie, plus a 50 foot 10/2 extension cord I built for emergencies. I can;t run Ac on it, but lights, fridge etc yes. I just unplug the trailer and plug into the gennie. People are creatures of short memories, I bought mine after the ice storm off Craiglists.

I call "preparation" insurance.