Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
PT RV`er

Would you let a friend borrow your rig?

I`ve got a friend of mine who on occasion will ask if he can borrow my rig. He`s always talking about how he would love to take his wife to this park or that park. He has owned a pop-up in the past but now has adult kids and grand kids living close to home so he`s a little stretched on money. We always talk about our past camping experiences and where he would like to take his wife to get away from the kids. He has a truck that can pull an RV but it`s not set up like mine. We have our guys fishing weekends twice a year that he`s a part of so I guess this is where he`s getting the idea of borrowing my rig.
I sort of keep staying away from the subject but it always seems to come up.
So, what would you do?

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
Javi

No... I have no friends who would even consider asking and if they did I'd question how much of a friend they really were. Consider what would happen if they damaged or mangled something in or about the trailer. Are they financially responsible enough to pay for repairs, are you so well off that expensive repairs are not a worry.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:09 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Absolutely not!!!! I had a friend ask and I told him that I valued his friendship too much. If he damaged my rig and could not repair it there would be hard feelings. He wanted my truck too. I also said that my DW would kill me. That he understood.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #4
Outbackmel

Lending

My neighbor hinted he was looking for a used motorcycle hauler, just like mine, for a trip to Florida. Here's the deal. I explained contingent liability on my insurance that even though I was covered to lend, any ambulance chasing lawyer worth his salt, will add ME as the responsible party in the event of any incident. If you think that you are protected against these vultures, think again.

I simply told my neighbor that it was not in either of our best interests to do this. I steered him to U-Haul. There are plenty of RV's for rent out there from Companies that specialize in doing this and heavily insured. Your friend is trying to get a bargain at the expense of your comfort. "forget about it" !

If something can go wrong it will, at the worst possible moment!!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

A great way to lose friendships (or become an "outcast relative") is to get into the "loan/borrow" arena. I've loaned tools that never returned, money that was never repaid, equipment that came back damaged or that was "stolen" and couldn't be returned. It almost always causes the borrower to feel obligated and not want to come talk about what happened and it makes me feel "used"... We (DW and I) finally just decided not to loan things. We will offer to help and bring our tools with us, but the tools don't go alone..... With something as big as an RV/TV combo? No way......

I finally found a sign at Hobby Lobby some years ago that proudly hangs in my pole barn. It reads, "If you need to borrow something, the guy down the street has better tools"...

I'd say, rather than loan something, it's best to just give it to the person, that way there's no obligation to take care of it or even to return it...

So, if you and the DW are thinking about a new truck and trailer.......

There are some RV dealerships that do rent smaller travel trailers/motorhomes/class C's for a "reasonable" price. You might do a little research and suggest that option to him... Maybe, just maybe, he'll get the hint ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
Kristi

We borrowed my in laws trailer once before we got ours, they offered, we didn't ask, also we stayed local. Even so I was so nervous about breaking something that we didn't enjoy the trip as much as we would have had it been ours. There are a select few that I would let take ours out, but none that would ask.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

If your friend is short on funds, there is no way he can pay for what he breaks! That aside. that is too big a liability to take on. the sharks will have a field day with the both of you in court. 4 things I don't loan out. My Wife Tools Camper and Truck! If he is a good friend and he wants to try camping locally. tow it there and show him how to set it then go back and pick it up but that would be about as far as i would go! good luck.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
My neighbor hinted he was looking for a used motorcycle hauler, just like mine, for a trip to Florida. Here's the deal. I explained contingent liability on my insurance that even though I was covered to lend, any ambulance chasing lawyer worth his salt, will add ME as the responsible party in the event of any incident. If you think that you are protected against these vultures, think again.

I simply told my neighbor that it was not in either of our best interests to do this. I steered him to U-Haul. There are plenty of RV's for rent out there from Companies that specialize in doing this and heavily insured. Your friend is trying to get a bargain at the expense of your comfort. "forget about it" !

If something can go wrong it will, at the worst possible moment!!

X2 ...... And Murphy was an optimist!!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
dandjh1958

Absolutely not- if he really wants to camp, he'll come up with the money to rent a rig.
I love SAABDOCTOR's credo of 4 things NOT to loan out but for me it's my hubby, my popup and trailer, and RAM truck. (they can borrow my Honday accord and Dodge Dakota). Tools I have lent out but since they usually get trashed, the person buys me new ones!

Happy camping!
Julie (and Don)
dandjh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
hankaye

Howdy All;

For me it's a simple NO.
This is my home, I'll not have someone taking my HOME
out for a jaunty weekend or whatever, would you???

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
PT RV`er

Thanks guys and gals, I knew ya`ll would get my head straight on this. I now have some great ideas and info for him next time he brings this up. I think I will do a search in our local area and see what companies and pricing I can pull up to have on hand. Hopefully he will get the hint. I don`t want to lose a friend over this issue because we do enjoy fishing a lot together.

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
airforceret

It really comes down to the circumstances. My initial thought was no.

Clearly there would need to be some ground rules and guidelines agreed upon, and then there are the legal issues and liabilities, and insurance, but after some careful considerations of what I've been through this year, the answer is "maybe!"

If they were a really close friend, and given the right circumstances, I maybe could let someone borrow my RV.

I had someone loan me their RV for 5 weeks when I was in the Air Force so that I could spent time with my wife and son. It was priceless...

I could see lending my RV in a similar situation... it's something way bigger than "me!" But then again, real friends are hard to come by, now aren't they?
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
Bluewater

Never..no way..absolutely not..period.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
2014Fuzion300

NO WAY Jose!
I prefer to let them stay at my house by themselves than let them use my camper!!!
2014Fuzion300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
instymp

No, & I wouldn't ask to borrow a friends either.
instymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #16
davidjsimons

Neither a borrower nor a lender be.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #17
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT RV`er View Post
Thanks guys and gals, I knew ya`ll would get my head straight on this. I now have some great ideas and info for him next time he brings this up. I think I will do a search in our local area and see what companies and pricing I can pull up to have on hand. Hopefully he will get the hint. I don`t want to lose a friend over this issue because we do enjoy fishing a lot together.
Your only response needs to be, "I think it's not a good idea to loan out stuff like that."

If he asks, "What do you mean by 'Stuff like that?'"

The only response necessary from you is, "Stuff that's mine."
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #18
Steve S

I'll have no problem lending my trailer out when I'm not using it. At the moment I live in it so that would be a problem! lol
I lend out everything from tools to my truck and my doors are always open when my family or friends are in the area on trips and need a place to stay.
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #19
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I'll have no problem lending my trailer out when I'm not using it. At the moment I live in it so that would be a problem! lol
I lend out everything from tools to my truck and my doors are always open when my family or friends are in the area on trips and need a place to stay.
Is your wife attractive?
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #20
Steve S

Wife's not much to look at but my dog sure is hot but no one gets to borrow her!
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote