Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #1
SUMMITCS

Furnace thermostat

Have 2006 Raptor. Would like to replace the furnace thermostat with a programmable nite setback. It's my understanding that the system is 12 volt.

Is this correct?

Where can I find a programmable thermostat? That will work on a 12 volt system.
SUMMITCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
roger

thermostats

Most of the house thermostats are low voltage and are powered thru a transformer like you'll see on your door bell. Also some of the thermostats are battery powered as well. This should be a straight forward hook up follow your color codes which should be standard ,but I don't know if Keystone knows what they're doing or if they follow any kind of codes at all looking at how they butchered my unit.
roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
bcer47

Any programmable or non-programmable thermostat for gas furnace/airconditiong that works off battery power will work. Check this link

http://www.klenger.net/RV_General/HV...tat/index.html

or Google for "rv thermostat" for instructions on how to install one.

Good Luck!
bcer47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Flyguy

I have replaced my Duo-Therm thermostat with a White/Rodgers 1F86-0471, I have a Dometic AC and an Atwood furnace, the wiring for the White/Rodgers is as follows: Red = B+ and is not used, Green = B- and goes to the RH/RC terminals (jumper between the two), Yellow = Compressor and goes to the Y terminal, White = Furnace and goes to the W terminal, Brown = Low speed fan and goes to the G terminal, Blue = hi speed fan and I did not use this wire, if you want Hi speed fan the Blue wire shorts to the Brown wire on the G terminal or you can rig up a SPST switch on the outside of the thermostat to switch fan speeds. Now if you have a Colemann Mach AC the wiring is different, in this case the Blue wire = B- and is not used, the Red wire = B+ and goes to the RH/RC terminals (Jumper between the two), Yellow = Compressor and goes to the Y terminal, White = Furnance and goes to the W terminal, now for the fan speed on the Colemann you should have two wires left, Gray = low speed fan, and Green = high speed fan, these are independent for fan speed either gray or green goes on the G terminal depending on your fan speed preference or you can switch between them with a SPDT switch, don't forget to configure the thermostat with the slide switches, for SS/HP select SS (Single Stage instead of Heat Pump) and HG/HE select HG (Heat Gas instead of Heat Electric). You can find all the manuals for this thermostat and also the Hunter thermostats (which wire the same way) on my webpage, click on FLYGUY on the upper left corner of this post and then click on visit webpage, then look in the folder "Hunter Thermostat" or "White/Rodgers Thermostat", in the Hunter folder there are pictures of my installation of the Hunter 44110 (I have since changed to the White/Rodgers) feel free to download what you want.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
suuntoCore

I used this one in my Desert Fox 28KS. It worked great.
http://www.hunterair.com/product/0-49694-42999-5.html
suuntoCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
Flyguy

Yes, it's a good basic digital thermostat and Wal-mart sells it for under $20, it's produced for Wal-mart by Hunter as model #42995, in fact the 42999b and the 42995 are the same thermostat.
Timbrens
Old 03-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #7
hoffbrew

I am going to make the switch too. These are on Ebay for around 25.00 and free shipping, but I will try Wal-Mart first.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:48 AM   #8
Flyguy

Wal-Mart will probably be the cheapest, they also have other Hunter models that cost a little more but have more features. It's easy to install a switch for fan speed on the Hunter as can be seen in the pictures, this I got from radio shack and the stock number is listed in the folder under radio shack parts in the LM317 folder in the Hunter folder. I used the same holes that the Duo-Therm termostat was mounted with and the same screws in the same location so no drilling or moving of wires was needed. The hardest part was removing the Duo-Therm's cover which pry's off by the corners, mine took a lot of coaching and some nice words before it popped off, pic #7 shows the cover comming off and pics 3-6 show the switch installation (use two washers with the mount screws).
Timbrens
Old 07-10-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
CdnSailor

We are new to the forum and are wondering if there is a site on how exactly the Coleman-Mac thermostat works with regards to placing the switches in different positions etc. I found the spec manual on line but it gives nothing on operations.
I gather also that the electronic fans that are being talked about, will work the furnace, fan and a/c unit of the RV if we decide to switch

Thanks,

2009 Chevrolet Silveraldo 2500HD Diesel Duramax 6.6 V-8 Crewcab
2010 Cougar 5th Wheel 326MKS
Shelties - Tanner, Ashley and Zoey
CdnSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Hello: You might want to take a look at a recent post by stargazer (06-08-2010). He has this link which gives you step-by-step instructions for installing a thermostat he purchased from Rona I believe.
This is the website:
http://virtualgarage.wikispaces.com/...tal+Thermostat ( I think I have it right)
If you need help finding his post, send me a PM and I will assist you.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
CdnSailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Hello: You might want to take a look at a recent post by stargazer (06-08-2010). He has this link which gives you step-by-step instructions for installing a thermostat he purchased from Rona I believe.
This is the website:
http://virtualgarage.wikispaces.com/...tal+Thermostat ( I think I have it right)
If you need help finding his post, send me a PM and I will assist you.
Is it necessary to log in to that site? I have so many forums, I guess one more will not matter

2009 Chevrolet Silveraldo 2500HD Diesel Duramax 6.6 V-8 Crewcab
2010 Cougar 5th Wheel 326MKS
Shelties - Tanner, Ashley and Zoey
CdnSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

No- You do not have to become a member or log on ...at least I didn't when I visited it.
On the left hand side of the home page, you will see a number of links listed in the yellow column. One of these links is RV Modifications. Click on it and you will find another list of things he has done to his RV. Look down his list until you come to "Programmable Thermostat ...Rona" .
That should do it!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
rvision

please help with a white/rodgers 37-6196A versus dometic i am replacing

Flyguy or anyone out there with thermostat knowledge. I am attempting to replace my dometic +7.5=red, cool=yellow, white=furnance, blue=high fan, brown=fan, green=ground. the white/rodgers is part no. 37-6196A. Thanks for the consideration.
rvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvision View Post
Flyguy or anyone out there with thermostat knowledge. I am attempting to replace my dometic +7.5=red, cool=yellow, white=furnance, blue=high fan, brown=fan, green=ground. the white/rodgers is part no. 37-6196A. Thanks for the consideration.
Which dometic are you replacing The old analog style or Dometic's new digital?

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote