Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2013, 03:33 AM   #1
tdawg

f 350

Looking at a 2008 f 350 6.4 Powerstroke never had a diesel before would like any input on this truck . Is a 60th Anniversary pkg whatever that is
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:12 AM   #2
muddynoll

I traded up to a 04 F350 6.0 Diesel last year. Had to do some mods to hopefully correct some of the problems of the 6.0. The 6.4 you are looking at has twin turbo , a common rail fuel system, and more head bolts per cylinder, correcting some of the more common issues the 6.0 had. I know several people who have them and they love the power. Get an oasis report from a ford dealer to find out what the repair history is on it. It will tell you if there have been any major repairs. I don't know what you are towing , but moving up to the 1 ton was the best move I could have made.
2004 F350,CCLB SRW 6.0Powerstroke, 4.30 Gears, Curt 1,500 Lb. Hitch with sway control *2017 Fuzion Impact 312, Sailun S637 Tires 2011 Passport 2910 BH, 2006 Jayco 232, 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L, ReeseDualCam, Prodigy P3
muddynoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:27 AM   #3
tdawg

Thanks, Towing a 3535 Alpine a diesel 1 ton will be next truck, currently have chev. 2500 454 4 10 Rear end and 1 ton springs
Old 06-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #4
Hansel

The 6.4L Powerstroke has great power, it uses a staged turbo system which means one turbo feeds the other. The biggest downside is they are know for poor fuel mileage, but here are a few forums where they have 6.4L forum sections so you can read about that engine, knowledge is key IMHO

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/index.php

http://www.powerstrokehelp.com/
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #5
rhagfo

Do your homework before buying a Ford 6.0 or 6.4, both had more than their fair share of issues.

You might think about a Dmax or Dodge, both have far better reliability than the Ford 6.*'s

I switched from Ford to Dodge as I didn't want a 6.*'s, and have never regretted it.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Do your homework before buying a Ford 6.0 or 6.4, both had more than their fair share of issues.

You might think about a Dmax or Dodge, both have far better reliability than the Ford 6.*'s

I switched from Ford to Dodge as I didn't want a 6.*'s, and have never regretted it.
Every truck has their problems. An in this day in age where anyone who is pissed about something can go on the Internet and tell horror stories. It happens with every make and model. The ones who don't have problems usually don't go on to the Internet and preach about how good theirs is.

Look around the next time you drive and see how many of these trucks are still on the road and most of them have never had a wrench turned on them. Still running just fine. Do they have their issues? Of course that is why when buying one you need to check what the sensors are reading to get an idea of what's going on.

Mine has 149,2xx miles on it and has been tuned on a race tune since 88,xxx WITH NO head studs. And I use a tow tune when towing. The egr and egr cooler are gone but I just did that 20k ago. The only major items replaced was a turbo at 20k (warranty), and 1 injector at 130k The key to both the 6.0 and 6.4 is maintenance and driving them. If not done they will fail just like any other car or truck.

Dad use to have a 6.4 all stock and towed his 5er quite a bit and used it to drive to work everyday 110 miles round trip. Traded it for a 6.7 because he wanted a few more feature he didn't have on the 6.4. Only problem was a faulty snap ring in the tranny that disintegrated and cracked the housing.

Point is find a truck (ford, dodge, Chevy) that has the options and features that you want or need. Then make sure if buying used to have it checked out or check it out your self with a monitor of some sort (scan gauge, edge insight types) and look into forums regarding the truck you want to see what they should be. If it is a ford run the oasis report before hand as it will tell you what work has been done at the ford dealers wether under warranty or not. It won't tell you what has been done at places other than ford though. This way you can tell how much of a problem the truck may have been before hand.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
Hansel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandE View Post
Every truck has their problems. An in this day in age where anyone who is pissed about something can go on the Internet and tell horror stories. It happens with every make and model. The ones who don't have problems usually don't go on to the Internet and preach about how good theirs is.

Look around the next time you drive and see how many of these trucks are still on the road and most of them have never had a wrench turned on them. Still running just fine. Do they have their issues? Of course that is why when buying one you need to check what the sensors are reading to get an idea of what's going on.

Mine has 149,2xx miles on it and has been tuned on a race tune since 88,xxx WITH NO head studs. And I use a tow tune when towing. The egr and egr cooler are gone but I just did that 20k ago. The only major items replaced was a turbo at 20k (warranty), and 1 injector at 130k The key to both the 6.0 and 6.4 is maintenance and driving them. If not done they will fail just like any other car or truck.

Dad use to have a 6.4 all stock and towed his 5er quite a bit and used it to drive to work everyday 110 miles round trip. Traded it for a 6.7 because he wanted a few more feature he didn't have on the 6.4. Only problem was a faulty snap ring in the tranny that disintegrated and cracked the housing.

Point is find a truck (ford, dodge, Chevy) that has the options and features that you want or need. Then make sure if buying used to have it checked out or check it out your self with a monitor of some sort (scan gauge, edge insight types) and look into forums regarding the truck you want to see what they should be. If it is a ford run the oasis report before hand as it will tell you what work has been done at the ford dealers wether under warranty or not. It won't tell you what has been done at places other than ford though. This way you can tell how much of a problem the truck may have been before hand.
Some really valid points said above, granted the internet is a great tool for information, and trashing. If I had to replace my 7.3L, I'd look real hard for another 7.3L or go with the GMC duramax, as far as I know they really haven't made huge changes like Ford has going through 3 engine designs in the last 10yrs. I could go on almost forever with all the different stories about Ford and Cummins, Dodge with all the drivetrain issue's, etc.... My brother has a Chevy 2500HD and so far the only thing other than regular fluid changes is he replaced the stock fuel tank with a transflow tank that holds over 45 gallons of diesel. The only thing I don't like about his truck is it's too QUIET

PS. Knock on wood my 7.3L has only had CPS issue, and a new tranny at almost 200,000 miles. And now with over 245,000 miles I'm proud that the truck has been mechanically bulletproof.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
TandE

Not knocking your 7.3 or anyone else's but I talked with a tech that SAID he saw reports that the 7.3 actually had more warranty claims than the 6.0. One reason the 7.3 is pretty much bullet proof is how long it has been around they know the fixes. The 6.0 fixes are out there they just can get spendy depending on how bad they got.

Again the warranty claims on the 7.3 were minor (CPS) but I thought they had water pump issues or fan issues too which if not caught in time could be very spendy also. One advantage as far as the 7.3 (and others) had was the Internet was in its infancy. The only way you heard bad about cars then was if you knew someone who had problems or it made the news or papers.

Also I agree with people on how you spend X amount on a truck the factory should fix the problems they have. But most people that complain buy used and try to for the least amount then blame someone else because it didn't last because of lack of maintenance on their part and the prior owner which probably dumped it because of that reason.

This probably sounds like a rant but trust me its not. I'm just rambling now
Old 06-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
Hansel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandE View Post
Not knocking your 7.3 or anyone else's but I talked with a tech that SAID he saw reports that the 7.3 actually had more warranty claims than the 6.0. One reason the 7.3 is pretty much bullet proof is how long it has been around they know the fixes. The 6.0 fixes are out there they just can get spendy depending on how bad they got.

Again the warranty claims on the 7.3 were minor (CPS) but I thought they had water pump issues or fan issues too which if not caught in time could be very spendy also. One advantage as far as the 7.3 (and others) had was the Internet was in its infancy. The only way you heard bad about cars then was if you knew someone who had problems or it made the news or papers.

Also I agree with people on how you spend X amount on a truck the factory should fix the problems they have. But most people that complain buy used and try to for the least amount then blame someone else because it didn't last because of lack of maintenance on their part and the prior owner which probably dumped it because of that reason.

This probably sounds like a rant but trust me its not. I'm just rambling now
I didn't think you where knocking my 7.3L, but that is an interesting that the 7.3L had more claims than a 6.0L, I've been very fortunate too have a good running 7.3L but I do keep the fluids changed on regular basis and I had some 2 stroke oil in the tank too keep those injectors happy. It's also a stock motor with no fancy tunes so maybe that another reason for the trouble free running, I honestly would not want too have to go out and replace my truck, I just don't want the headaches of all this new exhuast systems and fluids
Old 06-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
TandE

I'm not sure they had more claims than the 6.0 that is just what he the tech said. I have no facts to back it up.

The exhaust fluid is one reason I haven't bought a new 6.7. But more and more places have it now at the pump or at least inside in a container. My dad buys the stuff by the case and it lasts quite a while. After driving his I am more tempted to buy a newer one, the power is amazing, the price is not.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
DJ85

Do yourself a favor and check the maintance records. Couple of questions 1. how many miles. 2. Any modifcations. 3. Oil changed on schedule. 4. Was the fuel filter changed and what kind of fuel did they put in it. (Bio or % 2 diesel fuel) 5. Check the ph of the coolant and what color is it. Kind of like everyones been saying do your homework and buy the truck you like. In my opinion the F-350 6.4l is a very good truck if you can answer the questions and like what you find. My only suggestion is to powerstroke.org or powerstrokenation and look around tons of info. There was a thread started by Andymon search his threads there was some good info in thier to read as well. Feel free to pm me if you want to know my experence with my 6.4l could not be happier, but I have done some mods to protect my investments.

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
crash

Every truck has there problem,Some people as you can see hate ford some hate chevy and some hate dodge ,It just depends on what you like,can afford and this and that .I have a 2006 with the 6.0 all deleted with 170,000 on it and my main truck is the 2008 with the 6.4 I have around 150,000 miles and no problems with it at all,Just do your home work and go get it.Just my 2 cents.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
tdawg

Smile

thanks so much for the info will do my homework
Old 06-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
SAABDOCTOR

I'm off to get my helmet and flak jacket!! you all play nice! My truck is the best never broke gets 200 mpg boy a'm i a good liar or what
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
tomsws6

I will say I moved up from a 1/2 ton to a 1 ton and the only problem I have is I wonder I didnt do it sooner! I was and still am a GM guy but when it came to a diesel I am not brand loyal. I looked at all three and the pro's and con's led me to the ford. Yes every truck has there issues but what won me over was the sheer interior room compared to the others and with my family needs it fit the bill. I also knew what I was looking at when it came to all three of the diesels. I did my homework and choose. I couldnt be more happy with my f350.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #16
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
I'm off to get my helmet and flak jacket!! you all play nice! My truck is the best never broke gets 200 mpg boy a'm i a good liar or what
My (enter brand of truck) is better than your (enter brand of truck) and no matter how much torque yours has mine has more and no matter how good your fuel mileage is mine is better!!! But it doesn't really matter because size doesn't matter????

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #17
curlyfungirl

my hubby has the 2012 F-350 and just loves it. It is only used for pulling the rig.
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #18
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post

You don't ever skip a chance to take a jab, do you?

Traded in a '06 Dodge CTD last year for a 6.0 Ford, and have no regrets either. Every Dodge truck I have owned had their fair share of problems.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #19
DJ85

Take it easy now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

OK Gentlemen,

Idle your engines and let's get back to the topic. The OP asked for information on a 2008 F350 with 6.4L diesel engine and wanted to know about that truck. Objective comparison (not subjective opinion) is appropriate, but the "my truck is better" or "your truck is no better" or "Chevy/Dodge/Ford/GMC is better" is not a topic that will ever be productive. All you'll do is upset someone by expressing an opinion that just won't help the topic.

Let's agree to disagree on the "better than" issue and help the OP with constructive tips based on facts about the 2008 F350 6.4 L diesel truck he is interested in buying, not personal opinions about something that might be better.

Thanks,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote