Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
turbopilot51

Why don't they get it?

I have made campground reservations only to find that I cannot fit my fiver into the space. Even after repeatedly telling the staff(owners) what size my fiver is and how much room is required. When I arrive I hear all the time, "How long is that thing"? Or, "We have had 40 footers in their before". Maybe motor homes but I have a long bed truck with a 39 foot fiver that bends in the middle. I always try to look at the site map of the park before I reserve a spot, but even they are a joke at times. I have even used Google Earth to spy out out the camp ground in advance. Just this week I had to argue with a park owner about why my rig would not fit into an impossible site. Really, you want me to risk damaging mine and other rigs as well just to prove you're right?
On the flip side I made a reservation this week and actually had the owners help me back into the site. They too own long rigs and know what room it takes to back into a site. It should almost be mandatory for park owners and staff to maneuver rigs into sites to get a feel for what we go through. Thanks for letting me vent. Feeling better already...sort of.
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Jca3

Yes always our trip stressors... finding diesel in a place we can get in and out easy and if the spot we have reserved is big enough, and enough space to back in. The length of spaces doesn't tell you whether or not you can back in as we found many places on the Oregon Coast. Tried to get into a tight pullthrough with a sharp curve and high asphalt edges. I stood outside and watched the fifth wheel tip to the side while my husband drove it out.
Amazed me the hitch would hold with that much side movement.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
SoGaDually

Oh what did we do before "Venting"?..Oh yea they called that going "Postal"
Well I do believe many others along with myself can relate.. Been there, done that and Vented many times....
"Still Tree Hugger Friendly"
https://i653.photobucket.com/albums/u...46290d167a.jpg
SoGaDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
MarkS

It's not just a problem for long trailers. We used to have a 27' trailer. They were constantly giving us sites just big enough for pop ups.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Part of the problem with some campgrounds, both public and private, is that they were built many years ago when truck&campers, pop-ups and smaller RV's were the norm. They didn't take up that much space and getting in and out of them was somewhat easier.

Over time, the size of your "average" RV has grown but some CC's have not adapted and enlarged their sites to accommodate today's RV's. I can see why some camp ground owners may have chosen to keep things the way they were - designed for older, smaller RV's. Basically, if they were to enlarge their sites, the number of sites would have to be reduced. This in turn would result in fewer paying RV's. Fewer units = less profit; and after all, businesses are in the business to make a profit.

Often, the result is being told that. "Sure, we can accommodate your rig - no problem. You'll have plenty of room".
Old 09-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
poncho62

I cant tell you how many time I have had owners of these monstrous RVs come over to me and tell me how lucky I am to have a smaller trailer...I just smile and say..."I know"
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jca3 View Post
Yes always our trip stressors... finding diesel in a place we can get in and out easy and if the spot we have reserved is big enough, and enough space to back in. The length of spaces doesn't tell you whether or not you can back in as we found many places on the Oregon Coast. Tried to get into a tight pullthrough with a sharp curve and high asphalt edges. I stood outside and watched the fifth wheel tip to the side while my husband drove it out.
Amazed me the hitch would hold with that much side movement.
The second area of aggravation is the wifi joke some rv parks have.
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #8
mikell

Don't forget the tree branches that are only 10' up
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
Jim W

That's why I rely on RV Park Reviews .com before I book a site in a campground. When traveling I will only book pull-through sites easier to get in and out of most of the time. I have never had a too small of a site with my 318SAB Cougar since we have bought the camper in 2010. Most of the sites have been no smaller than 40FT and with some as large as 75FT will also not camp on a narrow site either.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #10
Bluewater

Most of these cramped CG would do them and us a big favor by just removing a few trees and trim the rest for wider and taller RV's.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
dandjh1958

I would hate it if campgrounds removed trees just to get big rigs into spots.
I live in Oregon where we happen to love trees.
Fortunately, most Oregon parks have good descriptions on pad length and some even have pictures of the spot.

Happy camping!
Julie (and Don)
dandjh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
pjhansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandjh1958 View Post
Fortunately, most Oregon parks have good descriptions on pad length and some even have pictures of the spot.

Happy camping!
Pad length is not the issue. Nor are pictures. A lot of the Northern Ontario Provincial parks "advertise" sites for big rigs (complete with pictures of the site), but the roads to get to the sites have not been upgraded to reflect the size of the bigger Class A's and 5vers.

If I'm paying for a site that is supposed to fit my rig, then I expect the access to be suitable. Otherwise, restrict the length of the RV's going into the park.
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #13
GMcKenzie

On the other hand, where I camped this summer the owner looked at my trailer and then called her husband over with a tractor to get me in my space. Same thing when I left 2 weeks later.

No way was I getting in and out of there with my truck, but the owners were completely prepared to deal with it.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #14
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandjh1958 View Post

Happy camping!
I find that most state parks need to trim up their trees. You shouldn't have to worry about tearing a hole in your roof trying to get into a site. Trees a nice, but they must be manage like anything else.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #15
Bigsky3625

Cool

Sure......trees are good. But not when they rub the side of our trailer or coul d damage the roof.

Already had to fix a gutter spout from a tree.

Was at Ocean Shore State Park in WA in February and got the trailer in our pullthrough spot.

Getting out I would have mangled the roof and passenger side with a low hanging tree.

Good thing I had the fortune to run in to the park ranger in charge of managing the park trees. He basically cut down half the tree so we could get out.

Also informed us that our rig was too big. Even though the park website let us book it.

And google earth has also let us down......
One Wife

Bigsky3625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #16
Sicapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater View Post
Most of these cramped CG would do them and us a big favor by just removing a few trees and trim the rest for wider and taller RV's.
Just removing the ones that are right next to the road and make it a hell of a lot harder to back-in, and makes you forget to check for the fire pit!

2013 Passport 195RB
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 3,6L
Sicapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #17
Povo

Our new 327RES is a lot longer (35') than our last 27' Cougar. You wouldn't think 8' would make that much of a difference. Had it out once and had a good back-in spot but we will be vary aware of space sizes before heading out in the future. It's obvious that we won't be fitting into many sites out there. I'm also still a bit confused as to what to use for length. If I have a 35' 5ver, do I need a 35' site or do I need a 40 or 45' site to accommodate my truck?

Patrick

Central Oregon
2014 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ram 3500
B&W Companion Hitch
Povo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #18
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Povo View Post
Our new 327RES is a lot longer (35') than our last 27' Cougar. You wouldn't think 8' would make that much of a difference. Had it out once and had a good back-in spot but we will be vary aware of space sizes before heading out in the future. It's obvious that we won't be fitting into many sites out there. I'm also still a bit confused as to what to use for length. If I have a 35' 5ver, do I need a 35' site or do I need a 40 or 45' site to accommodate my truck?
If you plan to put your truck in the site you are going to need a 50' site. But most parks will let you park your truck across the site or elsewhere, if needed. The site length is just that--the length of the site. No way are you going to back into a 35' site and keep your truck attached.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote