Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
mcbarbee

New Passport Refrigerator won't switch to gas...

We have a new 2013 Keystone Passport. The refrigerator works fine on electric but will not switch to gas when we are on the road. It goes to switch. You can hear a little noise and then just flashes "check". I read the instructions that say you must shut it off and restart it several times and have done this at least 25 times each time we need it. The propane is on at the cylinders. Even the cooktop right next to the refrigerator lights but the refrigerator won't go on. Is there anything else you can think of I can try before I take it back to the dealer? In the mean time, I have been using the electric the night before to cool fridge down and load up the fridge with blue ice until we make it to our destination. We haven't gone further then a couple of hours to a campground yet so it's been okay.

Another dum question please. What exactly is the "flame" switch for in the control panel? Is that for the gas? The lightning bolt is for the hot water heater. Is that correct?
Thanks, Barbara
mcbarbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbarbee View Post
We have a new 2013 Keystone Passport. The refrigerator works fine on electric but will not switch to gas when we are on the road. It goes to switch. You can hear a little noise and then just flashes "check". I read the instructions that say you must shut it off and restart it several times and have done this at least 25 times each time we need it. The propane is on at the cylinders. Even the cooktop right next to the refrigerator lights but the refrigerator won't go on. Is there anything else you can think of I can try before I take it back to the dealer? In the mean time, I have been using the electric the night before to cool fridge down and load up the fridge with blue ice until we make it to our destination. We haven't gone further then a couple of hours to a campground yet so it's been okay.

Another dum question please. What exactly is the "flame" switch for in the control panel? Is that for the gas? The lightning bolt is for the hot water heater. Is that correct?
Thanks, Barbara
The flame right next to the lightning bolt is for gas to the hot water.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
mcbarbee

Thanks

So both switches are for the hot water heater; one for electric and one for gas?

They are always both on and I have hot water so I guess they would just automatically switch to whatever source of energy is available? Should I be shutting off these switches when not using camper?

Sorry, I'm a newbie (as you can tell).

Thanks for your help.
Barbara
mcbarbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
Huskerdude

Had the same problem with our Premier, motherboard was bad , warranty covered it !!!
Old 08-28-2013, 03:30 AM   #5
crash

Ours was the overload limiter temp switch and was covered by warranty
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:57 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbarbee View Post
So both switches are for the hot water heater; one for electric and one for gas?

They are always both on and I have hot water so I guess they would just automatically switch to whatever source of energy is available? Should I be shutting off these switches when not using camper?

Sorry, I'm a newbie (as you can tell).

Thanks for your help.
Barbara
I generally keep both off until I get setup at the campsite and then use the gas to get hot water fast. After it is hot I turn off the gas and use the electric to keep it hot. Normally I don't turn the gas switch back on unless the DW is taking a shower. Turning the gas on will help with the recovery rate so she has hot water longer.

I always turn both off before leaving the campsite because it is so easy to forget later and hook up to electric with no water in the tank, burning out the heating element.