Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
ericm

Water in the Heating Ducts

Hello,
I am hoping that someone can help me out with this. I had my 2011Springdale 298BHSS winterized last fall and I purchased an RV Cover for it from our local dealer. I parked the trailer at my storage facility and placed 3 Dri Z Air throughout. I checked it monthly and emptied the small amount of water that was in the bottom. Last weekend I went into the trailer and to my shock the Dri Z Airs were full to the top and there was some mold on the carpet in the front bedroom. Needless to say a little shocking.... As I was inspecting the carpet, I noticed that the front heating vent in the floor was filled completely to the top with water. I checked all of the other vents and they were empty. My local dealer suspects that I have a condensation issue with the heating system.
Has anyone ever heard of this? I thought that I had done everything right but I still have this water!!

Thanks for any insight that anyone can provide...
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
camper 2010

I am not sure but it can only be from rain or snow. Where your store your trailer was there any way for flood water from snow melt or rain to get into one end of the trailer? I cannot see where condensation would only be in one vent.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
My local dealer suspects that I have a condensation issue with the heating system.
Since the water accumulated while the trailer was in storage, I am presuming that it was winterized and the battery shut off so that the heat or ac would not have been able to run. If that is correct, then I do not see how the heating system could possibly have produced any condensate, let alone enough to fill the ducting.

In my opinion, that leaves water intrusion from the outside as the only possible source. Time for some detective work.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

ericm, I have never been a big fan of covers on RVs with rubber roofs. Check the edges of the roof for wear to see if rubbing has made holes in the roof membrane. Condensation filling a heating vent is next to impossible, it most likely is from intrusion as Steve mentioned. In most cases leaving (covered) roof vents open allows interior and exterior temps to equalize and prevents condensate build up even in damp climates. Be sure to let us know what further investigation shows you. Good luck and be sure to get everything as dry as possible quickly, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote