Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
BullDog33

Finally Took The Plunge

The wife and I have been going back and forth for about 15 years whether to buy a trailer or not and we finally went through with it. I found this website and frankly several other similar sites very helpful in determining what kind of trailer we should get and some of the associated pitfalls. Thanks for all the helpful dialogue and reference material.

We decided on getting the Passport 2650BH. With 3 kids, the wife and I the floorplan and light weight are really great but it was another family at the Seattle RV show and their 4 kids who had the same trailer for years that really sold me on it. We actually chatted for about 10 to 15 minutes about how much fun they had in theirs. I worked with the dealer, got what I think is a decent deal and negotiated adding on the twin 6 volt batteries, a 135 watt solar panel to keep things going and a WD / anti-sway hitch. We hadn't done as much camping as we wanted in the past several years just due to the amount of packing/unpacking involved so we decided that this trailer is the ticket to get us into the woods more where we want to be.

Once we decided on the trailer we ended up trading in our 2002 Nissan Pathfinder for a 2004 Ford Expedition Eddy Bauer that is in very good shape. We just picked it up yesterday and already the kids are benefiting from the 3rd row seat and fewer elbow fights have broken out. This vehicle upgrade is also something we were considering for the last few years so I think it is all coming together pretty well. We kept the weight down on the trailer purchase specifically to make sure we had options at a tow vehicle and based our purchase using some of the good tow discussion around here. I actually wanted a much lighter trailer, but the wife wanted something with a bit more livable space/storage. I think you all can understand those compromises.

We take delivery March 8th of this freshly hauled unit that hasn't been to any of the shows or shown on the lot (mmm new trailer smell). I chose to delay a bit to have the Expy checked out at Les Schwab to make sure it is ready to tow. We're going to take it to a few close state campgrounds in April through June to get it broken in, get the feel for what we need and then we'll take a trip to North Idaho and possibly Yellowstone. I can't wait.

Anyways, thanks again for supporting all of us folks looking at trailers, lurking on the forums without registering. This site has been a good help.
BullDog33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
SAABDOCTOR

Hi to the forum wish you all the best enjoy the adventures to come.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
azlee56

Awesome and boy do I understand wanting more room, I can't live in a tuna can like charlie tuna does. With kids it just is a must for most of us females. We like them close, but want our space. (lol, what can I say).

Congrats.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
KanTC

BullDog33 & family, and congratulations on your new Passport... you're gonna have a blast!

Be sure to print-out the PDI checklist, and take it with you at the time of delivery.
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5129

The dealer should explain & demonstrate all of the features on the trailer, which should take approx 2-3 hrs. Take good notes
and/or (if possible) take a cam-corder to record the PDI -> yes, it's information overload in a short time span

In the meantime, if you have any questions just ask... that's why we're all gathered here.

Happy trails, have fun & make good memories with the kids!
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Cougarfamily

Congrats on the new purchases!

We spent the last 4th of July at the West Entrance to Yellowstone. My wife and I liked it so much that we plan to someday return for vacation, and spend the whole time there. Last years stop was just part of a whirlwind trip to Kansas for a reunion, then up to Yellowstone just to say that we finally made it there. I am sure you will also like the awesome scenery in Yellowstone. To us, it is worth the trip.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
x96mnn

Congratulations and you made a great choice!

My father once told me, "HAPPY WIFE EQUALS HAPPY LIFE" , so yes all compromises are completely understood. The space with kids is extremely nice to have and can be the difference between going once or twice a year to going all the time!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
BullDog33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanTC View Post
BullDog33 & family, and congratulations on your new Passport... you're gonna have a blast!

Be sure to print-out the PDI checklist, and take it with you at the time of delivery.
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5129

The dealer should explain & demonstrate all of the features on the trailer, which should take approx 2-3 hrs. Take good notes
and/or (if possible) take a cam-corder to record the PDI -> yes, it's information overload in a short time span

In the meantime, if you have any questions just ask... that's why we're all gathered here.

Happy trails, have fun & make good memories with the kids!
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
Printed out the PDI form and I'm running through it now to familiarize myself with it. Just got off the phone with the dealer and told them that I was going to be high maintenance during the inspection so that they book enough time.

I started a log book today for the trailer using a composition book to keep the PDI notes, camping notes, inspection logs, all documentation etc. I'm not in any heck fired rush to pick it up so if it isn't straight, they will have the time to get it right before I free up their space on the lot. Hopefully that will keep them motivated to fix it right should I find anything wrong.

I've been working in wireless telecom for quite a few years in operations and I've got quite a bit of experience with batteries, AC/DC power systems, and general construction and I've even repaired an HVAC or 10 in my time. So I think I'll be pretty prepared to point out little issues should need be but again, the resources within this site are very helpful. I've done numerous searches for every little thing I have a question about and found answers to most.

I'll be sure to throw questions as they come into mind. Thanks!

2013 Keystone Passport 2650BHWE
2004 Eddie Bauer Expedition 5.4L 4x4
BullDog33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
86GT2r

Welcome to the forum & congrats on your new trailer!
We have had ours for almost 2 years & have really enjoyed it.
---------------------
86GT2r is offline   Reply With Quote