Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
zuley

Brake Controllers

Initially when we purchased our first pop up 7 years ago I had a customer install a brake contoller on our Jeep. Having no idea what was required I told him to use his judgement and install whatever was needed. He installed what I suspect is a low end Reese controller that has worked out great. I reinstalled it into our new Jeep and have used it without any grief on our previous two pop up units. While discussing our new purchase with another friend/ customer he went to his tool box and brought to me another controller which he had recently removed from his vehicle and told me to replace my Reece controller with this unit. It is a Tekonsha P3 controller. Anyone in the know please explain to me what the difference is between what I am presently using and what I can expect to gain by installing this new controller. I'm going to be towing a 2013 Passport RB23 with a Grand Cherokee diesel using a Center Line hitch.
Thanks
Dave
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Johnnyfry

Talking Brake controllers

You will find, I am sure, a raft of opinions stated here on the group.Some like Tekosha, others swear by Prodigy and I use (and like) a Hensley Tru-Control.

Probably the most sophisticated controller is one which taps into the TV brake line and interprets the pressure signal received to control the electric current to the trailer brakes. It is expensive and I haven't heard many reports on how well it works.

Most (ALL?) other controllers use some type of accelerometer to determine that the driver is in the process of slowing down and use that signal as an input to a controller (computer chip) programmed with various parameters such as vehicle weight, trailer weight, etc and output the result to energize the electric brakes on the trailer.

Every engineer has his/her own idea of the proper algorithm to use in controlling the brake signal and programs the controller chip in accordance with that idea.

In theory they should all work equally well, but we know Murphey's law always shows up. In fact a combination of a specific truck/trailer/controller may work just great (like my Dodge 3500/Cougar 318/Hensley Tru-Control) whereas another combination may not work as well. That, I suspect, is at the root of all the almost religious embrace of a particular controller by some.

Also important is the fact that changing road conditions (snow,rain,gravel) will have a big effect on how the controller responds.

In the end, if what you have works, stick with it.

IMHO,
John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Paddler

About the only thing better than the Tekonsha Prodigy is an factory intergrated brake controller. The Prodigy has been a hands down favorited Brake controller for many years. Just set it and forget it, we used ours on two different trailers and had it installed in three different tow vehicles.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
You will find, I am sure, a raft of opinions stated here on the group.Some like Tekosha, others swear by Prodigy and I use (and like) a Hensley Tru-Control.
Prodigy is a Tekonsha product. Tekonsha is part of the Cequent group which also produces Reese, Draw-Tite, Hidden-Hitch and other brands.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Beekeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
About the only thing better than the Tekonsha Prodigy is an factory intergrated brake controller. The Prodigy has been a hands down favorited Brake controller for many years. Just set it and forget it, we used ours on two different trailers and had it installed in three different tow vehicles.
Same unit works awesome for me!
Beekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
chuck&gail

I suspect your old Reese is a time delay type. It will brake exactly the same every time, uphill, downhill, dry roads, glare ice, etc.

The Prodigy P2/P3 use a different technique where the trailer braking is proportional to the tow vehicle braking. This is much safer IMHO. Also in an emergency, where you stand on the brakes, the P2/P3 will, in effect, immediately stand on the trailer brakes. Your Reese will still be ramping up, too late to really help. Ever tip toe on ice towing? You REALLY don't want the Reese then, unless you reset the controls. It will lock the TT brakes, where the P2/P3 will be tip toeing with the TV

Hope that help.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
PerryB

The P3 is about the best accelerometer based unit available. One of its nicest features is the initial boost which eliminates any lag time of the trailer brakes "catching up" to the tow vehicles level of braking. Find out exactly what kind of controller you currently have-as in model, not just make. If its a time based unit, toss it and install the P3. If its an inertial/accelerometer driven unit, then the P3 will be a marginal upgrade, but not night and day. Personally, I'd put the P3 in because I've always run one (prior to having an integrated controller-which is the Cadillac of controllers) and found them to be excellent. --- PADDLER, how many miles does that Cocker have on it? We have one with about 19,000 mi. (3-1/2) and one with about 6,000 (1-1/2).
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote