Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
matstam13

tying down awning

anyone have experience with tying down an awning that doesnt have the bar running parrallel to the awning. everybody i see that has their awing tied down has the bar and they clip those flap reducers to it. the bar on our alpine goes from the roller at an angle down to the trailer. im worried if i were to leave it out and tied down that the wind would rip it up.
thanks
matstam13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by matstam13 View Post
anyone have experience with tying down an awning that doesnt have the bar running parrallel to the awning. everybody i see that has their awing tied down has the bar and they clip those flap reducers to it. the bar on our alpine goes from the roller at an angle down to the trailer. im worried if i were to leave it out and tied down that the wind would rip it up.
thanks
If it is a power awning, the manufacturers recommend that you roll up the awning during windy periods or rain storms for exactly that reason.

We had the traditional manual roll out awning on our last trailer and with the flappers and some ingenuity, it could be set up to withstand some pretty heavy rainstorms and wind. That won't be happening with the power awning on the Cougar...

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
jje1960

Windy awning

Actually, other than getting our awning system destroyed one night at Bristol (Freak Storm) We do use Bungee Cords with our electric awning to keep it stable during the breeze at Myrtle Beach. If it's getting really windy, yea, it's going in... Already cost us a $500.00 deductible...
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
therink

I have an A&E electric awning. I set the pitch, tighten the tension knobs on the arms to lock it, and then strap the roller ends to heavy stakes into the ground. This set up keeps the awning good and tight, thus not flapping in the wind or putting stress on the hardware. Of course I'll bring the awning in during real heavy wind or storms.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:40 AM   #5
johnnyrose

I have seen everything from tying off to trees and picnic tables to using the screw in type dog stakes to hold down the awning. I have also seen everything from rachet straps to bungee cords to rope to tie them down as well. It seems to be a matter of preference and trial and error to find out what works for you. I am looking to solve the same issue. Good luck!

Johnny and Kelley Rose + 4 kids and 2 dogs!
2005 Cougar 254 EFS (Whispering eye)
2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Supercab 6.0L Diesel
johnnyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
Jim & Kay

We, also, have a 20' power awning that we use a sunscreen with. We stake in a few bungees at the bottom, to prevent it from flapping in the wind. I like having it set up so I can remove it quickly, if need be. We've experienced close calls in the past with other awnings, so now I feel an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..........

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
Jim, Kay, & Our Furry Kids
2012 Cougar HC 5er 291RLS aka "Rt 66 B&B"
2008 Toyota Tundra aka "The Hoss" 4X4 Limited DC 5.7 L
6 S Tranny w/TowHaul 4.30 RG 20" tires
Firestone Airbags w/compressor
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Jim & Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
matstam13

thanks for the info i will try it and see what happens
matstam13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
dunnnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrose View Post
I have seen everything from tying off to trees and picnic tables to using the screw in type dog stakes to hold down the awning. I have also seen everything from rachet straps to bungee cords to rope to tie them down as well. It seems to be a matter of preference and trial and error to find out what works for you. I am looking to solve the same issue. Good luck!
I came up with these to use to tie down my power awning. Takes the load off the flimsy arms and supports the tube when we put the shade screen on. Had 3 days & nights of 15-20 mph winds and rain in FL in Jul and the arms never moved. They telescope from 6.5' to 9.5'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning extending & poles being deployed.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	2025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning Tie Downs completely set up.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	2026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Upper pivot anchor.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	2027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pole stowed.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	2028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stow bracket.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	2029  

dunnnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
reubenray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Kay View Post
We, also, have a 20' power awning that we use a sunscreen with. We stake in a few bungees at the bottom, to prevent it from flapping in the wind. I like having it set up so I can remove it quickly, if need be. We've experienced close calls in the past with other awnings, so now I feel an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..........
What sunscreen did you get? If there was a negative on our trip that we just finished it was needing a sunscreen.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
lenny G

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
I came up with these to use to tie down my power awning. Takes the load off the flimsy arms and supports the tube when we put the shade screen on. Had 3 days & nights of 15-20 mph winds and rain in FL in Jul and the arms never moved. They telescope from 6.5' to 9.5'.
I really like your set up, looks factory! Where did you get the poles? Looks like they could be easily removable.
lenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
Htfiremedic

How did you make the poles?
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote